Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all of you who posted "likes" for the images I put up last night. Many of you will be well aware that I'm really not keen on the whole "likes" system as there are some little discussion "clubs" on layout and other threads where a lot of likes are doled out for nothing other than a trivial comment, "That's nice", "Ooh, I love your newly unboxed loco" etc...... Then someone (I am NOT referring to myself - but look at some of the SUPERB layouts like Little Muddle, Skarloey Railway (just to pick 2 examples)) produces quite scintillating buildings, trees, weathering etc and virtually get ignored. Yes, I have an axe to grind on this and I'm not going to shut up about it.

So I REALLY appreciate the "likes" awarded on this page for the scratchbuilding efforts on the shed. Thank you very much.

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Which brings me on to another update. The images speak for themselves, but some differences to yesterday's state-of-affairs:

I re-marked, then re-painted the roof - both sides. The tiles are now clearly visible on both sides.

Lintels and sills have been accentuated.

Chimney attached.

1710339699_20211015_163315crrs.jpg.d7ffce928e6de05a27087b324542fd7c.jpg

1294775537_20211015_164711crrs.jpg.2f32fe4240905051f192a7ec71f251a3.jpg

857112793_20211015_164824crrs.jpg.c98f963ef7f3ba1617a915e22c1065fb.jpg

68254387_20211015_164902crrs.jpg.506e6a8c7c578db2316f67042aef800d.jpg

The first section of guttering has been fixed in place. I wasn't sure how to do this, but I've used 3.2mm Plastruct semi-circular rod for the gutter and the downspouts - tomorrow's job, hopefully - will be full circular rodding. 20thou brackets under the rod are superglued to the end of the roof. I only stuck this bit on, as a trial, about 40 minutes ago - it's visible painted brown on the 5th image.

1118314668_20211015_192116cr.jpg.f502b38636f0e933d3ed998c9634d747.jpg

Still more to do, though I may have a short break from this to build the signal box kit I got from York Modelmaking a couple of weeks ago.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

The shed is excellent Jeff - it really has that feel of a dense stone building if that makes sense!

Regarding folk hitting a ‘like’ button on here - I consider it the same as social media…something to be ignored. I reckon a hell of a lot of people look through photos on these threads without hitting a button. Maybe when you’re posting a lot of images and not getting much response, it feels like you’re shouting into the void.  I wouldn’t give it much thought and crack on mate!

Jay

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree with the comments above Jeff. That goods shed is really looking superb, looking forward to seeing the signal box progress. How are you going to cope without any DAS involved in the build :jester:.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.....

Jay, I think you are correct - it's just one of those aspects of behaviour that happen on social media - and isn't going to change. Doesn't mean I have to like the system (pun intended), so I'll remain as King Canute!

David, nice bit of work there. I've had to improvise with my guttering. I actually have an old Wills building pack with gutters, but it's not relevant to the scale of the shed.

John, DAS is a great material but it's so much quicker with the sheets - IF you can get them to join properly. Seems to be a common factor with all their stuff, given its size. I guess things will never change as Peco won't be investing in new moulding machinery just to suit a few modellers.

Steve, yes, it's going to be interesting building that kit. It's all laser cut and looks as if it will go together very nicely. It's a long, long time since I've built any kind of kit - mineral wagons in 2015, I think - so it should be fun. Once the main layout areas are "completed" I can see me spending a lot of time with Parkway kits!

There....4 posts in one. Going out to the Bunker shortly.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree with David @lambiedg regarding ModelU stuff but might be too small for an industrial building like the goods shed. How about the Peco guttering (538 Gutter/Downpipes)? I will be interested in what you think of the Yorkmodelmaking box once you have it built. Does it still come without finials?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm working on the guttering at this moment. 

I've come up with my own, "in house" solution - may not be as pretty as a kit but I think it works....a couple of pics attached.

The gutter is 3.2mm semi-circular rod, the downspout is 2mm circular, glued in place using "brackets" of 20thou and 40thou plasticard slivers, respectively.

The grey is simply the colour of the plastic primer.

Jeff

20211016_150520.jpg.76595197e58bf45d8d4bb7a26c25d8fa.jpg

20211016_150753.jpg.a126b1d6c6c2aea4b003945ac1d0b57d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Guttering and 6 downspouts have now been fitted, pics attached.

The guttering and spouts have had a first coat of a rusty brown acrylic, though it may not be apparent here.

2080198451_20211016_184800cr.jpg.411aac1a3d82d5acce08176f5216bc91.jpg

20211016_184910.jpg.2b3c2567573426c68446fb0ed65a10c0.jpg

181026693_20211016_185041cr.jpg.471190100d7610e92f985797213b6186.jpg

1848141108_20211016_185052cr.jpg.09d9fb5066ef864415246d7611d560c2.jpg

Work around the chimney and the air vents tomorrow, then it's time to have a break. Besides, you're probably sick of the sight of the shed!

Jeff

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I agree with David @lambiedg regarding ModelU stuff but might be too small for an industrial building like the goods shed. How about the Peco guttering (538 Gutter/Downpipes)? I will be interested in what you think of the Yorkmodelmaking box once you have it built. Does it still come without finials?

Yes, Jonathan - no finials.

I think this is likely an oversight. I'll email Julie at YM on Monday and point this out to her.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Superb - seem a shame to weathering it really as it looks the part ... maybe the crew have just been round with the 60s version of the jetwash and cleaned/repointed all the brickwork and painted it.  Mine you, when I was the railway, there was a saying that you dreaded the painters coming round as you will inevitably be shut down months later!!

Like the idea for the guttering and downpipes tho, very effective.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Just an observation did Midland downpipes stand off the stonework as much as on the goods shed as it looks at least a scale foot to me....

Sorry to be picky but I've just spent weeks making 7/8ths scale guttering...

Simple practical reason for the situation as it stands. The shed is still a work in progress and I didn't want the pipes catching on the baseboard as the shed was rotated.

The largest gap between the bottom of a downspout and the board is actually around 1mm, so I can live with that.

Edit: Sorry John, mis-read what you wrote. I was thinking about the length, not the position.

I've used artistic licence with the pipes as I didn't want to put any bends in the rodding. Consequently, the downspouts descend directly under the guttering and I can make do with that. Especially as there are no non-modern images of the guttering available. Maybe a bit lazy, but I'm not trying to make precise copies of things.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jeff,

Superb - seem a shame to weathering it really as it looks the part ... maybe the crew have just been round with the 60s version of the jetwash and cleaned/repointed all the brickwork and painted it.  Mine you, when I was the railway, there was a saying that you dreaded the painters coming round as you will inevitably be shut down months later!!

Like the idea for the guttering and downpipes tho, very effective.

Rich

Not sure where the idea of "weathering" was discussed....

The original sheets and roof have had several layers of acrylics dumped onto them, and I doubt I'll add any more - except for the gutters and downspouts.

The shed will appear on the layout very nearly as it does now. I'm not averse to adding paint, but there's always a danger at this stage of "crossing the line" and I'm not going to do that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Yes, Jonathan - no finials.

I think this is likely an oversight. I'll email Julie at YM on Monday and point this out to her.

I don't think YorkMM do Midland finials, Jeff which is why there's none in their signal box kits, a shame really as they make the look of a typical Midland box. Wizard do them though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul Cram said:

Here is a picture ot he goods shed at Hawes which shows gutters. The windows appear to be narrower tham on your shed.

Hawes goods shed.JPG

Thanks for the pic, Paul.

Nearly all the S&C sheds had the narrower, lozenge-shaped windows - which are commercially available (I've got some lovely brass etches, just like the ones in your photo). Kirkby Stephen's wider windows appealed to me, but bespoke laser-cut jobs were the only way to get them (my own efforts were ok, but not what I wanted).

Looking at some old, non KS, sheds last night shows that the gutters were like the ones in your pic. If I get some more 2mm rodding I'll modify one and see how it looks.

Paul, memory might have played tricks on me, but (if it was you) do you still work the box at KS?

Thanks for the pic.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I don't think YorkMM do Midland finials, Jeff which is why there's none in their signal box kits, a shame really as they make the look of a typical Midland box. Wizard do them though.

I use Wizard for my point rodding gear, so I'll have a look.

If you hadn't pointed this out I'd probably not have noticed the lack of finials. Strange omission as - checking on some photos - they appear to be a universal part of the Midland boxes make-up.

J.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks for the pic, Paul.

Nearly all the S&C sheds had the narrower, lozenge-shaped windows - which are commercially available (I've got some lovely brass etches, just like the ones in your photo). Kirkby Stephen's wider windows appealed to me, but bespoke laser-cut jobs were the only way to get them (my own efforts were ok, but not what I wanted).

Looking at some old, non KS, sheds last night shows that the gutters were like the ones in your pic. If I get some more 2mm rodding I'll modify one and see how it looks.

Paul, memory might have played tricks on me, but (if it was you) do you still work the box at KS?

Thanks for the pic.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

no i live in Chelmsford. We are building a model of Hawes hence the picture, we commissined Bill Bedford to do the windows for the shed and station building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul Cram said:

Hi Jeff

no i live in Chelmsford. We are building a model of Hawes hence the picture, we commissined Bill Bedford to do the windows for the shed and station building.

Cheers, Paul. There was a Paul that posted in the KL and KL2 threads that worked on the S&C - hence my confusion.

Best of luck with the Hawes branch!

And, as you'll see from the post (below), I've modified my gutter pipes to be a little more in keeping with the "real thing".

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I dug out some old shed photos from the S&C, though no guttering close-ups of KS appear to exist. John's comment set me thinking, so I've made a few modifications.

The downspouts are now offset by a scale 6 inches-ish from the building and, with the protruding bottom stone course this allowed another "anchor point" to attach the pipes to. The existing pipes were removed and the top 5mm of each was chopped off. With the pipes re-fixed closer to the walls I cut some (very small and very fiddly - especially with superglue around) rodding, angled each end and joined the small bit to the gutter at top and the pipe, below. One existing downspout had to be "sacrificed" as a rodding source - I'll replace it when my new stock arrives.

I've also added a few shutter blades into one of the extraction ducts, just below the V of the main roof.

1045640215_20211017_145913cr.jpg.f5e6b08f9948b21df1c92259486ede3b.jpg

1171395831_20211017_145928cr.jpg.3a8467b0a7bc8b34c889356f630c4f8c.jpg

20211017_150037.jpg.3e755f4df26c7a51b9d372ed6f4fa8a6.jpg

1056011005_20211017_150101cr.jpg.9c9e84f04fae663c1da36a1a1d2ee913.jpg

Still things to do, but that's it for the moment.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8