Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

13 hours ago, lambiedg said:

colder and hopefully cleare this weekend I believe.

D

I really hope so David. I'm just over the hill South east of you towards Forth and I've had about 5 half decent observing nights since the start of September. Nearly 900 feet up and almost always under cloud and rain. There's an astro kit supplier I buy from that puts stickers on their parcels that say 'May contain clouds'. Never a truer word.....

Graeme 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jacko said:

I really hope so David. I'm just over the hill South east of you towards Forth and I've had about 5 half decent observing nights since the start of September. Nearly 900 feet up and almost always under cloud and rain. There's an astro kit supplier I buy from that puts stickers on their parcels that say 'May contain clouds'. Never a truer word.....

Graeme 

Yes, Graeme. I always chuckle when I get a package from FLO with that sticker on it.

The last moon imaging I did was in May. Low altitude and night length can account for June to August, but the turbulent atmosphere and continuing cloud cover has wiped-out the last 3 months.

I normally manage about 5 sessions in each of October and November, so the current situation is very poor. At least there's the modelling to occupy my time.

J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Grassing continues, so here are a few more pics. The depth of field is a bit limited in some - but they show what's going on.

The "kink" in the link to the lie-by is deliberate - it's a slight S-bend - and isn't a case of laying track under the influence.

794097412_IMG_8595crrs.jpg.3dfcdea31bc5a39428d627ce806b7fe8.jpg

235159011_IMG_8596rs.JPG.5bad04e1b223a33229f2de23182046dc.JPG

IMG_8597cr.jpg.4db36a51c49bfb6cbc889dcbfcc15728.jpg

1466772787_IMG_8598Gcurrsrs.JPG.1c83861459f2bc5b65ded82c01faf7ce.JPG

1376926684_IMG_8605_stitchcrrs.jpg.d81e0fbd154a3552bf3b4cd43cded8b9.jpg

a

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, John Besley said:

It just gets better and better 

Thanks John, just the kind of comment I like to hear! :)

12 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Did the makers of the signal box ever get back to you, Jeff, regarding the prototype it was based on?

Nice subtle ballasting, by the way.

Hi Peter.

I contacted Julie at York Modelmaking about the walkway. She couldn't remember what they (her and her husband run the business) used as a prototype. Maybe it was a mistake. Either way, I've decided to leave the 'box in its present form, though if I build another I'll omit the back section.

Ballast is one of the things I'm always cautious about. I like it to be understated, blending in with no OTT highlighting or - on regularly used lines - weeds, static grass etc. Prototype pics of the S&C show that it was very well maintained, even if it didn't carry a lot of traffic.

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the main in the era up to mid 70's trackwork was looked after, you didnt see great big weeds in running lines in station areas, yes in a little used siding but not like some modellers portray... weed strewn platform lines in the 60's,  in and around loco sheds... only ever happened when they stopped running and closed them.

I think the Grassington branch might have been the exception, but I think by then passenger traffic had ceased 

Like you have done Jeff you have to study the real thing in the era modelled to get it right which you have

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Er, put it this way Jeff, I think Tony Blair was still the PM...

So, sometime between 1997 and 2009, then.

You don't work quite as fast as the infamous Bodgit, do you?

Anyway, now you've unearthed them - and since I believe you're now retired - you've plenty to keep you busy during the long winter nights!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Missing word
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Us Dorset folk take our time over things...
And we don't have a single mile of motorway.

Anyway, just off to light the candle so I can see what I'm doing.

Sounds like you're living in the era of Thomas Hardy.

Give my regards to your mate, the Mayor of Casterbridge.

I hear he's currently building one of those new railway designs you have down your way - by Trevithick!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Fortunately, I was born in Derbyshire. We used to live down the road from Rowsley at one time too...

So was I, where the North Staffs joined the LNWR.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of additional pics.

Difficult to get the wall, shed and 'box all in focus, even at f16.

The grass mix on the near and far embankments is the same. It's the effect of the nearer lighting that makes it appear a yellower tone.

Things to bear in mind. The near embankment has had a flock, 2mm, 6mm and 12mm fibre coating. It still needs additional (not too much) scatter and vegetation applying, in places, that will be fixed down with hairspray. And there's ongoing walling etc etc etc. Yes, you say, we've seen it before.... I'll take some pics from the corner when things are sorted. At the current rate of setting that'll be the end of the week.

1350933203_IMG_8612cr.jpg.b48a68f3afd6e541efa5a638e712d96d.jpg

2063610688_IMG_8619cr.jpg.9a3acca3a27cecdb03c45bc086e56a50.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6