Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Really interesting, learning a lot from the above.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it Jeff.

I didn’t realise we were always looking at the same side of the moon!

So presumably if you want to photograph the hidden sides you can only do that from space?

or have I miss read?

Evening Ade.

Burning the midnight oil, I see!

The same side of the Moon always faces the Earth. However, the Moon appears to "wobble" in its monthly journey round the Earth (actually, Earth and Moon orbit their common centre of gravity, but as the Earth is 81 times more massive than the Moon, the CofG is inside the Earth and it appears to us that the Moon moves round us and Earth stands still). This wobble or "libration" means that we can sometimes see around the edges and over a period of time 59% of the Moon's surface is visible from Earth.

It wasn't until 1959 that the far side was first photographed - from space ( by the Soviet probe Lunik 3). Since then, the entire surface of the Moon has been mapped in very fine detail.

And just to clarify. During the course of a month (full moon to full moon is around 29 days), every part of the Moon, front and back, gets about 14.5 days of sunlight (then 14.5 days of darkness, etc.).

There is no "dark side of the Moon".

Brings to mind the Pink Floyd line: "There is no dark side of the Moon....as a matter of fact, it's all dark!!"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff! Yes as ever up all hours! Had my 4 hours so just dozing now.

Never really thought about that reference the dark side of the moon.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Like 1

I recall reading that astronomers have proposed siting a deep space radio telescope- not certain if that's the correct term, on the far side of the moon as it would be aware from any earth bound interference.

1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

They'd need a very long cable to be able to communicate back to Earth from the facing side!

It's amazing what they can do with a few dots and dashes or is it ones and zeroes nowadays I forget.

51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's amazing what they can do with a few dots and dashes or is it ones and zeroes nowadays I forget.

Except make them bend around curves in space.

😎

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Except make them bend around curves in space.

😎

I am sure one of Elon Musk's little internet satellites will probably come round every 30 minutes and give a web connection for a bit.....

• RMweb Premium

I don't know - give 'em a bit of encouragement and the boys get carried away....

Lol!

Seriously, although this is supposed to be a railway layout thread, there's no chance of any layout work from me until after Easter. So you're welcome to ask questions on the Moon and - as I'll pop-in every 2-3 days - I'll try and answer them (or at least give an opinion).

I (again) have to say that it's good to be back on here and your response has certainly encouraged me to think more about the layout.

And who knows - in the next 4-6 weeks I may even have some EM steamers to test on Gill Head!

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I am really enjoying the GH thread now it has been resurrected.

I looked forward to updates when it had a more earthly focus, but the shift to the lunar landscape is just as fascinating.

Looking forward to May, once you find yourself  back in the bunker!

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I (again) have to say that it's good to be back on here and your response has certainly encouraged me to think more about the layout.

And who knows - in the next 4-6 weeks I may even have some EM steamers to test on Gill Head!

If we renamed the 10:00 St Pancras - Carlisle express the 'Saturn Adventurer' or 'Moonraker Express' would that help get you back any quicker! 😃🤣

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks. Quick pop-in to see if there were any comments.

Ade, there are huge positive reasons to site a radio telescope on the far side of the Moon, effectively screened from all the radio and microwave rubbish generated on Earth. But in terms of practicality and cost, it won't happen on a worthwhile scale for a long time.

Relay satellites in lunar orbit can easily provide a link from lunar far side to Earth.

Steve, glad you are enjoying the "rebirth" of the thread. And Rich, until it warms up sufficiently to make working in the Bunker a pleasant proposition, I'll not be out there. The Bunker is heavily insulated, but at this time of the year I can't justify heating the place for several hours - especially with the current rip-off electricity charges!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

. And Rich, until it warms up sufficiently to make working in the Bunker a pleasant proposition, I'll not be out there. The Bunker is heavily insulated, but at this time of the year I can't justify heating the place for several hours - especially with the current rip-off electricity charges!

I guess that's one advantage of my POD, (the converted Garage), and attached to the Bungalow in two sides. Its now habitable all year round. I really MUST start work on "Tonleigh Bridge" again soon.

IMG_1687.JPG.5bb9360a9e94681c1efa435365589ec0.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG.30eace353a83d0d401f215946f167ff6.JPG

20240211_125255.jpg.d9c4bb236caf8fced3fc6217ab5c4828.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of oil filled bar heaters mounted at skirting level while living I know they dont kick out much heat but they do stop the moisture in my garage / workshop another bonus is they only use the equivalent of a couple of old light bulbs electric - these have been on for about 20 years now 24/7.

Never had a problem, the only time they get turned off is in heat waves

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I guess that's one advantage of my POD, (the converted Garage), and attached to the Bungalow in two sides. Its now habitable all year round. I really MUST start work on "Tonleigh Bridge" again soon.

IMG_1687.JPG.5bb9360a9e94681c1efa435365589ec0.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG.30eace353a83d0d401f215946f167ff6.JPG

20240211_125255.jpg.d9c4bb236caf8fced3fc6217ab5c4828.jpg

Isn't that the guitar storage which just happens to have a layout in it. 

Don

• Agree 1

I see that a private enterprise, Space X I think provided the rocket, has launched a rocket with a moon lander. The idea being for it to go the area where it is hoped a permanent moon base will be built. Not certain what the area is called but it's near the moons south pole. Any chance you could giving us some photos of it, the lander that is or won't you be able to pick it up?