Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

Having seen the photos you took of the moon, you would just about be able to make (Gill Head) out using that gear from the moon ! :)

I just think that it is going to end up with this beautiful scene to take an image of from an unusual prospective as a model- thinking of the late David Shakespeare's Tetley Mills, and how there were all kinds of relatively unique photo locations possible on it.  Some layout scenes are designed to have a camera jammed into the landscape so that you can take a photo from _that_ location, and I can within my mind see that Gill Head the scene is going to be that 3/4's facing up.  

About all that I have that is really constructive is that the inside of the arches need to be lined for that image to work- I think you are 100% correct to design a method to do so.  The only other thing I can think of would be to placard line them now, and then start from there with the construction- assuming the viaduct can be tipped over still ?

Fantastic work as always,

James  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics.

And then there were two - 6 more arch liners to go....

And then there were a lot more DAS strips. I've made some "slimline" 2mm strips to go onto the arch-liners. I may fix some onto a liner this week, to see how they look.

Friday's filler on the viaduct piers is hardening up nicely. A top coat of filler onto 5 of the piers tomorrow. When that is hard, stone laying can begin!

20201129_144440.jpg

20201129_192247.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for that last, strange, post.

I'm having trouble with my laptop. No big deal as I'm getting a new one early next year - I need the faster processor for all the imaging I'll be doing with the telescope. So that picture was sent from Hotmail via my phone to see it went through ok.

5 piers now have a complete filler "coating" and as soon as that is dry/hard enough - probably Friday - I'll start fixing quoin stones to all 5 pillars. I know you like the piccies, so I'll post a step-by-step of what I'm doing.

Funny, isn't it, that I'm far more interested in building the viaduct than all the track that's supposed to constitute the model.

Andy, I see you're on here regularly. Rather than clutter up and interrupt your band of merry followers, I'm very pleased you've decided to keep SMS as I think it's one of your best. I just hope you can find ways to add to it. Pity you couldn't build another portable board that could be carted into the POD to add extra track/sidings/whatever.

More when I have it.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update...

I've cut a large number of the DAS strips into a variety of lengths, ranging from 4mm to 16mm. About 1500 blocks, with a scale length approaching 10,000 feet, so should provide for a good start to block laying.

The filler I put into the piers on Monday is hardening nicely. I think  it'll be Friday before I get chance to rub the plaster down to allow blocks to be glued to it.

7 of the 8 arch-liner structures have been built.

Screws on one side and the top road deck of the viaduct have been removed, properly counter-sunk and replaced.

All in all, a lot of things have been done but nothing to warrant lots of photos.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi  Jeff, What will you use to glue the blocks on with, PVA?

Evening Andy.

Yes, because of the large area I'll have to cover, ease of application, non-smell and the fact that it bonds clay to plaster very well, it'll be PVA.

I may have to fix a few "support rows" of stones on with a small amount of evo-stik, but most of the blocks should hold ok. 

Jeff

• Informative/Useful 3

Hi there,

I have just found your thread and read through it.  It is an impressive project and amazing progress.  It makes my progress seem tortoise like.

A few posts back it was suggested the Arten Gill viaduct was more impressive than others.  I have to say I agree with this.  I have walked past it a few times heading to/from Blea Moor, and up and down the gill on several occasions.  Maybe it is because it strides across a steeply sided gill whereas Ribblehead is across a flat valley bottom.  Dent Head has its minor road whereas Arten Gill has only its sloping track.  If feels more isolated and more commanding.

On one walk I had been over Great Knoutberry fell in thick cloud.  Descending Arten gill, the viaduct slowly appeared through the cloud as I got nearer and by the time I was going under it the view was clear.  Your photos looking up at the underside of your arches truly capture the feel of it.

I look forward to further updates.

Lofty (sometimes called Ian)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian.

Thanks very much for your comments. Really interesting - always good to hear from first-hand observers.

The last time I was in the Arten Gill area was in the mid 1990s. Pre-digital camera era, so all I have are a few colour prints and my memory. I'll be back for a walk in the Dent area next year, covid allowing, and will get myself a load of images.

I agree about the nature of the location affecting perceptions of the viaduct. I think Smardale is a lovely setting, and the majesty of Ribblehead is diluted somewhat by its open location - remote though it is.

The S&C is a scenic treasure trove, irrespective of the railway. As someone who loves the Lakeland Fells and the Dales, I couldn't wish for a better location to model!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi Jeff,

Up until about 5 years ago, we had a static caravan at Settle and I spent a lot of time walking from there.  We now have a static near Skipton.  I used the S&C a lot either for circular walks from a station or linear from one station to another.   I got to see the S&C in its setting which gives a different view on the immense contstruction involved.   On the walk over Blea Moor you follow the line past the air vents and spoil heaps - the size of some of the boulders in the spoil makes one wonder how they got them up.  From the top of Whernside you can look down on Ribblehead but can also see over Blea Moor and see the line on its ledge heading towards Dent.

I will try and attach some photos but have never tried that before on Rmweb

The first photo is Artengill from the other side of the valley - the Craven way.

The second is from on top off Blea Moor, whilst 3 and 4 are dropping down Artengill

Hope they are of interest

Ian

PICT0079.JPG

PICT0086.JPG

PICT0320.JPG

PICT0322.JPG

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff, Ian.

Reinforces my determination to be up there next spring.

Thanks very much and feel free to post anything you think relevant to the project. OR, as is often the case with some of the Lunesters, post whatever you like!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've now completed the 8 arch-liners. So now it's time to start covering them in stones - lining them, so to speak.

The pics show one of the beasties, with it's initial stone, to 90 minutes later - with about 300 stones in place. The third pic has obviously been rotated upside-down to give an impression of how things would look with the liner in place.

The DAS stones are stuck onto the plastic using PVA and a PVA glaze painted on top at the end. A DAS/PVA slurry ("mortar") may need to be smeared over the top, and then acrylic paint washes applied. All of this will be done BEFORE fitting in place under the road deck. So I'll be doing these activities, as a trial, over the next few days.

A few more lines of stones need adding, though the whole liner can't be covered until it's been fitted in place as the plastikard ends need to flex a little when inserted.

Jeff

20201203_122422.jpg

20201203_162151.jpg

20201203_162158.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

he pics show one of the beasties, with it's initial stone, to 90 minutes later - with about 300 stones in place. The third pic has obviously been rotated upside-down to give an impression of how things would look with the liner in place.

The DAS stones are stuck onto the plastic using PVA and a PVA glaze painted on top at the end. A DAS/PVA slurry ("mortar") may need to be smeared over the top, and then acrylic paint washes applied. All of this will be done BEFORE fitting in place under the road deck. So I'll be doing these activities, as a trial, over the next few days.

Hi Jeff,

this is inspiration for me to rework my "homage to Box Tunnel" portal in DAS. Present version is just hand painted card.

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve, Colin, glad to oblige with the inspiration.

More like perspiration with all the damn DAS, blocks, ply....

To paraphrase the classic 1967-8 TV series "The Invaders" (....and so, he must convince a disbelieving world, the nightmare has already begun...) "the insanity has already begun".

More below.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To start with, I thought Id better try and see if the beastie, as it was at the start of today, would still fit into place.

No problems. 

Pics are self explanatory, including the current state (4th pic) of "stoning"....

Jeff

20201204_122021.jpg

20201204_122100.jpg

20201204_122246.jpg

20201204_200540.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Here are the sketch plans I promised a week ago, showing the (ROUGH) arrangement of quoin blocks, other blocks etc for the King and non-King piers.

They are to help me visualise, and aren't meant to be set in stone (hahahaha)....

Jeff

20201204_122647.jpg

20201204_122722.jpg

20201204_122738.jpg

20201204_122749.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I've now built and mortared 5 of the arch liners.

3 of these have received a couple of acrylic washes. Despite the DAS/PVA gunge smeared on during mortaring, there was no problem with the paint "holding" on the surface.

The first stone block was fitted to pier 4 at 14.23 today. I've done about 100 minutes bricklaying and I'll post some pics of this, and the liners, at some stage tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, now I have a bit of time, some details about those pictures.

As shown - I think the pics were taken at about 20.15, there are about 500 stones in place. It's taken about 8 hours and isn't easy because of the position of most of the stones in the sides of the piers making a DIRECT view impossible. The rear of the pier hasn't been done yet, and various markers have been stuck on the back to make sure the rows of stones will line up.

Having said that, the whole process has been strangely enjoyable and satisfying. Bit like building the walls. As you see a structure emerging it spurs you on.

The real viaduct has a lot of surface variation, as different thicknesses of blocks - not just lengths - were used. I've tried to achieve this by intermingling 3mm and 4mm stones. Some of the stone lengths used by the navvies were enormous - up to 8 feet long. I've not gone beyond around 6 feet-ish. I pre-cut a lot of stones, but it's actually much easier to work to a general plan and cut stones off the DAS strips in situ.

I've tried to keep the quoin arrangement constant, but a few errors have crept in. And some of the blocks are tilted slightly - it's not easy with so much slippy DAS around! I don't mind, really, as it'll hardly be noticeable once mortar "slime" is added and the whole thing painted.

So, more of the same tomorrow.

I also have 5 arch-liners that have had preliminary acrylic washes to "key" them for their proper paint coat sometime in the future. I meant to post a pic, but forgot. Maybe add one in tomorrow.

Do I think this is crazy? I DID think that after the first hour. But as time has gone on I simply tell myself that if it takes 200 hours to put the stones on, so what? I think the technique works and I hope it'll look good. Better than plastikard!

One other thing. Clearly, a lot of the structure will be hidden "underground" About 70% of the piers will need stones, but most of the ends of the viaduct are hidden. I'll only put stones on the visible areas, so before the ground "appears" the viaduct might look like a motley dog!!

Hope some of this has been of interest. Please do ask if anything is unclear.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Typos
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

I've attached more pics, showing the situation as of 30 minutes ago. The PVA is still fresh on pier 3, so things will look clearer tomorrow morning.

About 1300 stones (an estimate, I'm NOT keeping count, HONEST). Just another 10,000 to do (:(:().

I've also added the pic of 5 of the arch liners. These are now mortared and primed. When I mix up an acceptable top grey I'll give them a wash.

It is going to get very tedious for viewers if pics are posted daily on here. More stones, yet more stones etc. I'll think about what I'm going to do, but the absence of feedback means I may leave a few days between sets of postings. I mean, what can you all say...."hey, I love those additional 300 stones...", "wow, look, he's added more stones..." , "stone the crows, the man is feckin' insane" (we know that)..... :):wacko:

Jeff

20201208_201135.jpg

20201208_201150.jpg

20201208_201534.jpg

20201208_201111.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Evening all.

I've attached more pics, showing the situation as of 30 minutes ago. The PVA is still fresh on pier 3, so things will look clearer tomorrow morning.

About 1300 stones (an estimate, I'm NOT keeping count, HONEST). Just another 10,000 to do (:(:().

I've also added the pic of 5 of the arch liners. These are now mortared and primed. When I mix up an acceptable top grey I'll give them a wash.

It is going to get very tedious for viewers if pics are posted daily on here. More stones, yet more stones etc. I'll think about what I'm going to do, but the absence of feedback means I may leave a few days between sets of postings. I mean, what can you all say...."hey, I love those additional 300 stones...", "wow, look, he's added more stones..." , "stone the crows, the man is feckin' insane" (we know that)..... :):wacko:

Jeff

20201208_201135.jpg

20201208_201150.jpg

:P

20201208_201111.jpg

Well if you wanted us to say something all you had to do was ask.

So mad person I think the third stone in, on the fifth row, second arch is absolutely wonderful and a definite example of the stone masons skill and dedication. The rest well the less said about them the better.

Well you did ask.:P

Excellent job as always Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3