Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comparison you make with fishing Jeff which I hadn’t thought about until your post, but as a young man my Dad and I would sit for hours by the river fishing and didn’t careless if we caught anything or not. After a fishless Saturday we would often discuss what our chances were of a pass from the management to go again the next day. 

Nowadays some 50 years later I find the same pleasure in modelling (as I have all my life) and I am at my happiest sitting quietly with the radio on doing the most mundane and repetitive of tasks at my bench and will put as much time into a project as needed until I reach the point of believing I’ve done as well as I can.

I model in N and this week I’ve been painting coalmen and shunting staff and coal sacks - on which I’ve been using 3 different colours to create character in them rather than just splashing black paint around indiscriminately. 

All I need do is a light black wash over the setts and add some cinders.

Brian

020C68D7-2A25-4A41-A71A-4A5ED590F12C.jpeg.7f169cad36b409565c9117887ca9a7ca.jpeg

Edited by Dragonboy
Spelling
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the positive comments, Don.

Always good to get feedback from Lunesters with many year's experience in the hobby. And also good to see that other people are doing what might be perceived as insane, repetitive - but skilful things re. the electronics.

I've built plenty of electronic circuits in my time, but not the type you referred to, and not recently. I'm beginning to realise that my current specs are not quite right - need a new eye test and replacements. Hours of repetitive close-up work can be a bit of a strain. Those tiny capacitors sound a similar thing - I'm guessing you use a work lens?

Let me know if you are still "up" for our little project later this year.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Interesting comparison you make with fishing Jeff which I hadn’t thought about until your post, but as a young man my Dad and I would sit for hours by the river fishing and didn’t careless if we caught anything or not. After a fishless Saturday we would often discuss what our chances were of a pass from the management to go again the next day. 

Nowadays some 50 years later I find the same pleasure in modelling (as I have all my life) and I am at my happiest sitting quietly with the radio on doing the most mundane and repetitive of tasks at my bench and will put as much time into a project as needed until I reach the point of believing I’ve done as well as I can.

I model in N and this week I’ve been painting coalmen and shunting staff and coal sacks - on which I’ve been using 3 different colours to create character in them rather than just splashing black paint around indiscriminately. 

All I need do is a light black wash over the setts and add some cinders.

Brian

020C68D7-2A25-4A41-A71A-4A5ED590F12C.jpeg.7f169cad36b409565c9117887ca9a7ca.jpeg

Hi Brian.

That looks very good. Especially considering how tiny those figures must be. I once - way back in the 1970s - decided to build a battle of Waterloo scene, using Airfix OO figures. Never been interested in wargaming, but it was in a period when I also built a credible Flying Fortress and the USS Enterprise (starship).

I think I managed to paint about 50 or so figures, then gave it up and put the whole lot in my desk drawer. Never to be touched again - I think my brother chucked the collection (300 figures?) in the bin about ten years ago.

Good to see the granite setts in use as your roadway. I've always liked them and spent a lot of time cutting and painting them in the latter days of my KL2 thread.

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

• Like 1

Falicitation's and tidings of good joy to you young Jeff and your family from one of your 'darn' souf' followers. Ian

I  hope your.not discouraged or annoyed by ones comments. Which I know don't always contain strictly modelling remarks. They are my attempt to inject what I call humour into your excellent recording of your fantastic achievements. I would be mortified if you thought that there were in anyway a criticism.

You are very lucky to have both the time and more importantly the resources, I have neither as it currently stands. So having 'returned' in name only to this hobby/past time/affliction (humour again) after a 30 year interval I feel very fortunate to be able to share contributors postings.

I'm certainly not offended by your desire to keep your efforts focused as this is your project and I am only an interloper peering over the wall.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Well Jeff, managed to get here at last and spent ...just under 3 hours from start to finish.  Your viaducts and walls have always been a fascination and the current viaduct is absolutely stunning.  Have written it down in my diary now so that if it doesn't come up then I can locate it.

The garage conversion too was a great thing to follow without having to 'wait for the next episode'.  Have great 2021, cheers, Peter

Edited by PeterBB
3 not 32!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Falicitation's and tidings of good joy to you young Jeff and your family from one of your 'darn' souf' followers. Ian

I  hope your.not discouraged or annoyed by ones comments. Which I know don't always contain strictly modelling remarks. They are my attempt to inject what I call humour into your excellent recording of your fantastic achievements. I would be mortified if you thought that there were in anyway a criticism.

You are very lucky to have both the time and more importantly the resources, I have neither as it currently stands. So having 'returned' in name only to this hobby/past time/affliction (humour again) after a 30 year interval I feel very fortunate to be able to share contributors postings.

I'm certainly not offended by your desire to keep your efforts focused as this is your project and I am only an interloper peering over the wall.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian.

I'm very happy for anyone who is interested to take part in discussions on this thread. And you will have noticed that many comments are "off topic", though some of the people making them are long-time contributors on here.

Humour is absolutely vital in all walks of life. I  take my lead from the reactions of those around me. If they don't react then I realise I should change the subject onto something else. In the 9 years I've been posting on this Forum I think I've only been really aggravated a couple of times and I dealt with those situations.

Continue to enjoy the thread. If people ceased giving feedback I would close the thread with immediate effect. My primary reason for being on here is to learn FROM the feedback I get and it's often been accompanied by a lot of humour, along with positive comments and constructive criticism.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Well Jeff, managed to get here at last and spent ...just under 3 hours from start to finish.  Your viaducts and walls have always been a fascination and the current viaduct is absolutely stunning.  Have written it down in my diary now so that if it doesn't come up then I can locate it.

The garage conversion too was a great thing to follow without having to 'wait for the next episode'.  Have great 2021, cheers, Peter

Now that makes sense, Peter. You'd have to be as crazy as me if you spent 32 hours reading this stuff!

I hope you are coping without the presence of the Great Andy P!! :P:angel:

Jeff

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Now that makes sense, Peter. You'd have to be as crazy as me if you spent 32 hours reading this stuff!

I hope you are coping BENIFITING without the presence of the Great Andy P!! :P:angel:

Jeff

Edited for correction Jeff.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Hi Jeff,

It's been a while aint it!

Following your message the other day I decided to check out this little project of yours, and what a project!

It was good to hear from you and great to see that you are back building again.

It's a shame I didn't get to see the previous layout before the bulldozers moved in. from the pictures it looked fantastic.

The viaduct is bloomin' fantastic, a great development following your previous one. cracking job. 7000 stones was it? that is what i call dedicated. I thought I had done well after 'laying 300 stone setts and a couple of hundred stone blocks! (in model form of course) .

As I am (extremely) late to the party I thought I'd chip in with three points that would have been appropriate a good few pages back... ;)

1. Fiddle yard - I agree with you in that there i no real need for one as you are focused solely on the scenic side. however had you thought about a line that splits off the main loop and then drops down to a yard under the main boards? 

2. Stone Colour - trying to match the real deal doesn't always work as the colours can be too strong (dare I mention scale effect?) The important thing is that it blends in with the rest of the layout and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

3. Its your layout and you can do what you damn well like! We'll just encourage you. :D

Have a great New Year Jeff.

Alan.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Schubert said:

Hi Jeff,

It's been a while aint it!

Following your message the other day I decided to check out this little project of yours, and what a project!

It was good to hear from you and great to see that you are back building again.

It's a shame I didn't get to see the previous layout before the bulldozers moved in. from the pictures it looked fantastic.

The viaduct is bloomin' fantastic, a great development following your previous one. cracking job. 7000 stones was it? that is what i call dedicated. I thought I had done well after 'laying 300 stone setts and a couple of hundred stone blocks! (in model form of course) .

As I am (extremely) late to the party I thought I'd chip in with three points that would have been appropriate a good few pages back... ;)

1. Fiddle yard - I agree with you in that there i no real need for one as you are focused solely on the scenic side. however had you thought about a line that splits off the main loop and then drops down to a yard under the main boards? 

2. Stone Colour - trying to match the real deal doesn't always work as the colours can be too strong (dare I mention scale effect?) The important thing is that it blends in with the rest of the layout and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

3. Its your layout and you can do what you damn well like! We'll just encourage you. :D

Have a great New Year Jeff.

Alan.

Well now, first Jason turns up and now Al....

For KL followers, Al was the FIRST person to set me on the path from train-set "layout" to finescale modelling. The one who got me into RMweb and suggested I have a go at some scratchbuilding. The guy who first suggested - in about 2010 - that I should try a CURVED viaduct....

So, Al -_GUILTY!

You are indirectly responsible for my insanity. Currently standing at about (I can only make sensible estimates) 7500 stones on the piers, 300 voussoirs on the arch rings and 2500 bricks in the arch liners...And increasing by the day.

Your point number 2 - agree. I've got a way to make a grey I'm happy with, and it has to match the goods shed already built (see KL2 thread) as well as approximate to Arten Gill.

Invoking point 3 - I agree, but the guys on here keep me on the straight and narrow.

Point 1 - to be considered....

Great to have you back on here. I see you're still using the old rat avatar. Keep looking in and having your say - like the rest of them on here. AND make sure that telescope sees some action in 2021. When the pandemic is over I'll come and visit you and Jayn.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Change in tense is to was
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I started building the viaduct just over 8 weeks ago, the first stones went onto the piers 4 weeks ago.

So for a bit of fun, ignore if you've seen it all before (yes, I always say that, but there's always someone who'll say "oh not that bl**dy photo AGAIN!" :o), I've put together a series of pics that are - aside from the first 2 and last 2 - about a week apart. Personally, I find the sequence encouraging as it shows the changes that take place in a week or so. Day-by-day it can seem that not much changes.

The pics were taken on:  Th Nov 5 2020/ F Nov 6 / Th Nov 12 / F Nov 20 / F Nov 27 / F Dec 4 / F Dec 11 / F Dec 18 / Th Dec 24 / Th Dec 31 / F Jan 1 2021 /

Jeff

20201105_183640rs.jpg

20201106_185025rs.jpg

20201112_201821rs.jpg

20201120_141627rs.jpg

20201127_142735rs.jpg

20201204_122021rs.jpg

20201211_195641rs.jpg

20201218_202814rs.jpg

20201224_183048rs.jpg

20201231_181324rs.jpg

20210101_154150rs.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Physicsman said:

My primary reason for being on here is to learn FROM the feedback I get and it's often been accompanied by a lot of humour, along with positive comments and constructive criticism.

Jeff

Agree- learning FROM feedback AND, like Jeff's threads, learning a lot from what others are doing both in techniques and ideas e.g Dragonboy's coal cameo.  Maybe a viaduct in the next one? .. but Plasticard rather then Das made walling.

Andy P is (unfortunately!) missed and especially so in the current situation where I am sure we would have popped in on one of our childcare visits nearer to him but his 'ghost' remains.  He it was who sorted out the issue on my first layout in 40 years and led me astray onto 'massive' expenditure on model railway interest.  Thankfully in the current Covid situation it has paid dividends (only 4 visits to shops since March) as predominantly from amassed bits and pieces Cadley Hill has progressed from an Andy cast off to a layout.

Edited by PeterBB
Cameo edit
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Agree- learning FROM feedback AND, like Jeff's threads, learning a lot from what others are doing both in techniques and ideas e.g Dragonboy's coal cameo.  Maybe a viaduct in the next one? .. but Plasticard rather then Das made walling.

Andy P is (unfortunately!) missed and especially so in the current situation where I am sure we would have popped in on one of our childcare visits nearer to him but his 'ghost' remains.  He it was who sorted out the issue on my first layout in 40 years and led me astray onto 'massive' expenditure on model railway interest.  Thankfully in the current Covid situation it has paid dividends (only 4 visits to shops since March) as predominantly from amassed bits and pieces Cadley Hill has progressed from an Andy cast off to a layout.

Glad to see you found the Gill Head thread, Peter. You were one of only 2 or 3 of the regular gang who hadn't posted on here.

Also good to note your continued motivation, even in the absence of the one-and-only Bodgit!

Have a go at a straight, 3 arch viaduct. You'll enjoy it.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Update....

I've now been putting stones onto the piers for the last 4 weeks. Today, I managed another hundred onto pier one then had an enforced stoppage for the first time - I'd used up all the DAS strips.

Really bad man-management, that. I must take issue with myself....:rolleyes:

Another batch of strips has been made - currently sat in front of the radiator - and should be ready for tomorrow.

I've also made and fitted the 7th arch ring on the West face, so only one more to go on that side. Which reminds me, I must build the 8th arch liner...all the ply and plastikard bits have been cut, ready to assemble, for weeks.

In the meantime, you'll have to make do with the recent batches of pics. :beee::laugh:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, well, well.

How on earth have I missed this until now?

Firstly a belated Happy New Year to Jeff, family and all Lunesters.

I've often wondered what you were up to these days Jeff, now I know.

As everyone else has said, it's simply stunning already that viaduct, but we would expect no less from the Master.

Every time I go over one of these I think of KL, now I'll have to start saying GH instead.

2103020119_Stile2.jpg.8f84a4f06df06635acd1952dd145869d.jpg

I've now read every word and looked at every pic, so I've caught up at last

Keep up the excellent work and you've now got another follower.

Chip

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back, Chip!

Your walling photos will continue to be gratefully received, once that aspect of the work commences - I'll try and make some changes to the way I make them. I think a walk from Orton to the head of Dent Dale might be a bit much, but if you are ever out that way....

In the meantime, enjoy the current project. You probably thought I was mad when I put stones on the goods shed at KS you are so familiar with. Now you know I'm crazy.

Heading off for more "stoning". Re-stocked with DAS strips, so 300 stones target today!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lunesters may (or may not) be interested in watching a programme that was on BBC4 this evening (5/1).  Winter Walks (one of a short series).  This one was in Dentdale, and finished at Dent Railway Station (although it was described as a Train Station).  Apart from the scenery as they moved up the dale from Dent itself, there was a short drone shot of Arten Gill viaduct, and it ended with a shot of what looked more like Dent Head viaduct.

For those in the UK, it is no doubt available via i-Player.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Lunesters may (or may not) be interested in watching a programme that was on BBC4 this evening (5/1).  Winter Walks (one of a short series).  This one was in Dentdale, and finished at Dent Railway Station (although it was described as a Train Station).  Apart from the scenery as they moved up the dale from Dent itself, there was a short drone shot of Arten Gill viaduct, and it ended with a shot of what looked more like Dent Head viaduct.

For those in the UK, it is no doubt available via i-Player.

Adrian

Adrian, thanks for the info. I'll make an attempt to track that down.

My dad is a railway programme addict, so I'm amazed he didn't spot it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

That is looking very impressive. After building walls, I know how much work has gone into that viaduct.

keep up this impressive build young man. We await more images over the weekend. :good:

Steve

Edited by Ramrig
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DeadRinger said:

When you started laying the stones, it was looking a little chunky and maybe overscale, but now it approaching completion, it is looking absolutely brilliant.  And it is keeping you out of mischief!

DeadRinger

It certainly keeps me out of mischief - I hardly see the light of day at the moment! 

As for your phrase "approaching completion"....I take encouragement.

I AM enjoying building this - otherwise I wouldn't do it (though I do like a challenge) - but progress can seem slow at times. I'm off to the Bunker in 5 minutes....to add some more stones.

Jeff

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeadRinger said:

looking a little chunky and maybe overscale,

Yes, I must admit that I though so too, not in the size of the blocks but in the texture of the face of the walls. I appreciate that the walls are not finished or painted, but some of the stones do seem to stick out a bit. 
Given that the camera tends to cruelly exaggerate things, how do the pictures compare to the naked eye Jeff?

Edited by Neilgue