Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That's an interesting link, Neil.

I think texture is something for O gauge or larger. We had a similar discussion in the context of road surfaces in the KL2 thread. I ended up sticking gerbil sand onto a board covered in PVA, then painting the surface. Even those textures were equivalent to 1cm bumps in OO/EM, and smooth plaster would probably be best.

Interestingly, I spent an hour or so applying mortar "goo" to the rear of piers 2, 3, 4 and 5 today. When dry, some of the DAS mixed in with the PVA, and the dried DAS itself created a thin surface coating that ought to show up as "roughness" once paint washes are applied.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/01/2021 at 10:46, Physicsman said:

I think your idea is the best approach - to try to put texture on at the moulding stage.

Jeff,

I commented here in November that my jig for DAS stones was made from a sheet of laminated particle board, the sort found used in desktop surfaces. This material is very lightly mottled and works very well to produce a stone textured surface at OO Gauge. I've done away with using cling wrap to line the mould it's not necessary with the plastic coated base., I just remove one side arm of the jig and slide away the strip once pressed into the mould. It's written up on my Blog, link below. (see "on the Workbench" section)

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Update:

The final arch ring has now been fitted to the East face, making a total of 16 for the whole structure. I'm going to spend the next few days ensuring the 8 arch liners are all "bricked out" and connected (there's a small gap in either side) to the rings. This isn't the most photogenic thing to look at, and until all the liners are mortared and painted it won't look very neat.

"Normal" stone cladding onto piers and abutments is nearing completion. I've just passed the 10,000 stones mark for this job, maybe another thousand will see the job done. 

Another couple of hours mortaring the piers has been done. This is starting to resemble a Forth Bridge job, but each coating fills in more gaps and gives the pier surface a more unified appearance.

I'll post some pics on here when there's something worth showing.

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A question I keep meaning to ask, but never remember to.  How are you planing on routing the droppers to the track for the power, or is the viaduct short enough to be able to do so via the baseboard at each end ?

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, figworthy said:

A question I keep meaning to ask, but never remember to.  How are you planing on routing the droppers to the track for the power, or is the viaduct short enough to be able to do so via the baseboard at each end ?

Adrian

That is a good question and my answer has changed since I started building GH in October - laying the track and then onto the viaduct.

On the original Kirkby Luneside I was paranoid about voltage drops and droppers. Every yard section of SMP track had 2 pairs of droppers, so there was a power feed about every 18 inches (45cm) on average. On KL2 I scaled this back a bit, so some yard sections had only one feed. There's currently a power feed every yard/metre or so on GH and it works very well. In fact, I found that the test loco worked faultlessly on the main line with only 2 power feeds on a 7 metre stretch. Other droppers have since been added.

So, Adrian, to answer your question. I originally planned to fit droppers to the track at each end of the viaduct and fit a feed via wires running down the inside of king pier 5, roughly in the middle. I decided the middle feed was unecessary, and it made things easier - practical-wise - so a pair of droppers at each end it will be.

These will be easy to access, not built into the viaduct structure or hidden by the bulk of the hillside. There'll be about 2 metres between feeds, but with a good (30A rated) power bus I don't foresee a problem. If there is, surgery will be applied!

Phew, I do go on a bit, don't I?

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

That is a good question and my answer has changed since I started building GH in October - laying the track and then onto the viaduct.

On the original Kirkby Luneside I was paranoid about voltage drops and droppers. Every yard section of SMP track had 2 pairs of droppers, so there was a power feed about every 18 inches (45cm) on average. On KL2 I scaled this back a bit, so some yard sections had only one feed. There's currently a power feed every yard/metre or so on GH and it works very well. In fact, I found that the test loco worked faultlessly on the main line with only 2 power feeds on a 7 metre stretch. Other droppers have since been added.

So, Adrian, to answer your question. I originally planned to fit droppers to the track at each end of the viaduct and fit a feed via wires running down the inside of king pier 5, roughly in the middle. I decided the middle feed was unecessary, and it made things easier - practical-wise - so a pair of droppers at each end it will be.

These will be easy to access, not built into the viaduct structure or hidden by the bulk of the hillside. There'll be about 2 metres between feeds, but with a good (30A rated) power bus I don't foresee a problem. If there is, surgery will be applied!

Phew, I do go on a bit, don't I?

Jeff

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

"Phew, I do go on a bit, don't I?"

No (well not in this case).  It might have been a simple question, but not necessarily a simple answer.

Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just watching Princess Elizabeth pulling the Northern Belle over the Settle and Carlisle, wonderful, and reminded me of your EPIC KL1 from 2011,.

Is it really that long ago? 

Time is a funny thing, Andy. To me, a lot of events that happened in the 1970s and 80s seem like yesterday. I was aligning the telescope mount in the observatory this afternoon and it brought back floods of memories from Christmas 1970 when I got my first telescope and me and dad set it up, looking out of a window into a snow blizzard.

Your visit was at the end of 2013 - bearing in mind how busy we've been since then, THAT seems an age ago.

We just plod on.....

Jeff

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Time is a funny thing, Andy. To me, a lot of events that happened in the 1970s and 80s seem like yesterday. I was aligning the telescope mount in the observatory this afternoon and it brought back floods of memories from Christmas 1970 when I got my first telescope and me and dad set it up, looking out of a window into a snow blizzard.

Your visit was at the end of 2013 - bearing in mind how busy we've been since then, THAT seems an age ago.

We just plod on.....

Jeff

Your right about the year Jeff, I blame that on an old finger, I treat myself to a younger one. I dare not think of the Stock I brought up on that wonderful day, out doing Jason by a couple of wagons I think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really coming together. I must say I rather like the convex view of the viaduct too. It is not a case of which is better both views are equally good it would have been a real let down if you hadn't done both sides. Also with modern camerasyou can put them in all sort of spots to getsome great photos.

My building work has all been 1:1 scale lately. You have done quite a bit too. I do think it helps with the modelling when you have an appreciation of real materials. 

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of updates and pics over the last week.

I have been very busy with the viaduct, but lots of little things that the casual observer (or photograph) might not notice. 7 of the arches are now arch ring-arch liner joined, all 8 have the liner surfaces mortared, all the springer courses are complete and I've just finished the first spandrel for the East face (7 more to go). Nothing exciting there!

I may get a few pics from under the arches tomorrow.

I'm also hoping I can have the viaduct fully mortared and sanded down, ready for painting, by mid-February (making around a hundred days for the build).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spellchecker - HOW can it change mortared into migrated? Bl**dy stupid!!
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Some pics to reinforce what I said in yesterday's post.

Pic 1:

The arch liner-rings between piers 9 and 6 (7 and 8 don't exist on the model!).  The surface had received one coat of mortar at this point, a second has just been applied. The rings, liner and the DAS joining them will be sanded down when  everything is dry.

Pic 2:

General view of the last 3 arches at the North end of the West face.

Pic 3:

The first 2 spandrels in place on the East face, above piers 3 and 4. The PVA is still  wet on the right-hand one and there are a few stones still to be fitted.

I'll try and get 2 more spandrels done tomorrow. They take about 90 minutes apiece, but sitting at the desk fitting 120 stones per spandrel is surprisingly relaxing.....

Jeff

20210127_130304.jpg

20210127_182519cur.jpg

20210127_192524 cur.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
Formatting
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium

A pic from an hour ago to please the "convex lovers".

The equivalent of 4 spandrels (spellchecker wants to write "scoundrels") now in place - some detail obscured by wet PVA. Only 4 more spandrels to go....

20210128_193449cur.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

Lovely stuff

David aka closet convexist

David, my initial glance at your comment was read as "CORSET convexist"

I did a double take....

J.

Edited by Physicsman
My old mate the chdeyxhzbebchekkurrrr
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Andy. That's more like the reality - "raining guys and gals", as the (Tetley) tea advert with the dog and cat says.

I saw your comment in SM - I am neither righteous or model in O, so I'm doomed! :sarcastic:

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Another spandrel has been added to the east face. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now!

Of course, once the string course is added above the spandrels there's the matter of brickwork between the string course and the parapet.

Both east and west sides.

On the inner (rail) and outer faces.

Over 2 metres x 4.

Of relatively small stones - I estimate about 2000 of them.

Oh, dear. But at least they can be built like the spandrels, onto a backing at the work-desk.

In the meantime, here's a couple of views of the viaduct in the context of the whole room. I spend so much time looking at it from point-blank range that I often forget the scale of it.

Jeff

20210129_192044.jpg

20210129_192123.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1