Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

I remember you acquiring that viaduct and finding you didn't have the space for it. Good to see it found a good home.

You're correct about the locos. I think the only solution I have is to make up some cassettes and keep the locos stored in them. Won't be a problem for a while, but always fun to think ahead.

I really like what you've done with the O gauge diesels, and it'll be interesting to see what you do with that outline 00 plan that appeared on your thread yesterday.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few more pics to keep you happy!

Views of the garage showing wall frames nearly all around the walls, with L-girders in place in the last 2 pics. Another girder to go in and then they need tying-in to the centre beam.

Not great pics, taken on my phone. I must stop being lazy and take the proper camera in there!

Jeff

20200928_165523.jpg

20200928_165655.jpg

20200929_182707.jpg

20200929_182733.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just been into my laptop to post some new pics, but don't seem able to.

The screen is a right old mess, with no option to submit a new post. This is being written on my tablet.

I hope this is sorted very soon. Or maybe it's just me.

Btw, I can't post pics from my tablet as they aren't stored there and I don't "do" cloud storage.

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Just been into my laptop to post some new pics, but don't seem able to.

The screen is a right old mess, with no option to submit a new post. This is being written on my tablet.

I hope this is sorted very soon. Or maybe it's just me.

Btw, I can't post pics from my tablet as they aren't stored there and I don't "do" cloud storage.

Jeff

Mines still working for adding pics, maybe yours is to big :o :nono:or somfink.:spiteful:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

I always use Internet Explorer to view RMW on my laptop. For some reason, the formatting of the Forum on IE is a pile of sh1te - for me, anyway. So Ive switched to Chrome, and the Forum displays exactly as usual.

Thanks for your post - it was definitely "SOMFINK"!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Right, let's try and get these pics posted....

The garage is 26 feet long, and I'm partitioning it so one end, about 9 feet in length, can be used to store tools, exercise equipment etc. The partition frames are almost complete - a small gap remains to allow a couple of items in the "railway" end (such as a bed!) to be passed through in the next few days.

About 40% of the ceiling has had insulation fitted, and the process will be ongoing in the next few days.

18 days into the conversion. I'm spending 5-6 hours a day on this, and can't - by myself - go any faster. And I wouldn't want  to as building stuff like this, and problem-solving the obstacles that sometimes occur, is a great pleasure.

Jeff

20201001_132644.jpg

20201001_163857.jpg

20201001_202752.jpg

20201001_202810.jpg

20201001_202847.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Cheers Andy.

I always use Internet Explorer to view RMW on my laptop. For some reason, the formatting of the Forum on IE is a pile of sh1te - for me, anyway. So Ive switched to Chrome, and the Forum displays exactly as usual.

Thanks for your post - it was definitely "SOMFINK"!!

Jeff

I am not a PC chap, definitely a Apple lad here, but I think IE is now the old software and I know a few people in the IT departments of major high street brands who no longer even think about how or whether the site works on IE. I believe Microsoft replaced it a few years ago with Edge as the new browser, but somebody may know more! Glad your up and running on Chrome.

Edit - forgot to say the woodwork looks first class Jeff. Very high quality. One may have to borrow some ideas.....

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Network rail signal boxes have dumb terminals that run ie9 and the servers they connect to run ie 11. Before the upgrade the site was usable, but with things not visible. After the upgrade it was unusable. I’ve come home and messaged Andy, and he had didn’t realise that ie 9 was still in use (about 0.9 % of computers still run it, so that’s all NR then!).

He’s looking into what can be done.

Andy G

Edited by uax6
To make sense!
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/10/2020 at 00:07, Physicsman said:

The garage is 26 feet long, and I'm partitioning it so one end, about 9 feet in length, can be used to store tools, exercise equipment etc. The partition frames are almost complete - a small gap remains to allow a couple of items in the "railway" end (such as a bed!) to be passed through in the next few days.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I see a hole in the wall and a 9ft fiddle yard under the bed :jester::jester::jester:

Great to see you are back Jeff doing the things you like most.  I can smell all that wood from here.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I see a hole in the wall and a 9ft fiddle yard under the bed :jester::jester::jester:

Great to see you are back Jeff doing the things you like most.  I can smell all that wood from here.

Hello Mick.

Good to see that you're still taking an interest in the stuff I build. And yes, I'm loving every second of it. As for the wood, it DOES smell nice. Especially first visit of the day.

I've just fitted 15 feet of ply fascia on one of the walls, so it's starting to look tidier.

Keep posting. As with the usual "gang", all input is welcome.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

About half of the walling has now received its ply fascia. I will start doing some of the ceiling sections in the next few days.

Some pics attached.

Btw, the gap in the wall at the far end isn't for a door - just an access "hole" that will be filled tomorrow!

Jeff

20201004_190731.jpg

20201004_190738.jpg

20201004_191750.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes Andy, but unfortunately it's not as pleasurable as that - just one of my torture machines (a rower).

I'll be watching to see what you come up with on your one foot plank. I'm thinking of building a 00 plank under a section of the L-girder boards to give some of my 00 locos a bit of exercise, instead of sitting in storage. It was just going to be track, but as GH develops I may find time to "scenic" the plank, so I'll  be interested in what you cram into the small space.

Of course, if I'd stuck with 00 ( and there's no going back from EM, I'm much more likely to do O) then I wouldn't need the plank.

Anyway, I'll hopefully get started on my own baseboards before the month is out.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Undoing laptop "corrections"
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Btw, the gap in the wall at the far end isn't for a door - just an access "hole" that will be filled tomorrow!

Jeff

One hopes that when the ‘gap’ is filled Jeff can still get out by other means....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MarshLane said:

One hopes that when the ‘gap’ is filled Jeff can still get out by other means....

Here you go, Rich. You can see - in the background - that the gap has been filled, and I'm glad to say I escaped by "other means"....

I started putting some ply sheets onto the ceiling today, again, evident in the pic.

Jeff

20201005_194040.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Jeff,

Glad you haven’t had to go tunnelling! Really is looking a good space now. Can I ask what make/model your mitre saw is, as i’ve been thinking about one of these since last Christmas!

Keep up the good work!

Rich

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Excellent Jeff,

Glad you haven’t had to go tunnelling! Really is looking a good space now. Can I ask what make/model your mitre saw is, as i’ve been thinking about one of these since last Christmas!

Keep up the good work!

Rich

Rich, the mitre saw is an Evolution "Rage".

Made in Sheffield, I've had this beast since January 2015.

Still on my first blade after near-on two garage conversions, and not a single problem. Great piece of kit.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll second that.  I have owned an Evolution compound mitre saw with a smaller diameter blade than Jeff's for around 5 years too and I am still on the original blade despite having used it to cut lots of timber, steel bar, aluminium tubing, plastic pipe ...

I also own a circular saw which I have had for longer.

I bought both saws from Screwfix.  If you want one but are in no rush then I recommend biding your time though as they get substantially discounted at intervals.  (Which is also true of most of the other brands.)

One correction though, Jeff.  Sadly, they are only 'designed' in Sheffield.  (No prizes for guessing where they are made.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

Glad that someone else has had a good experience with that mitre saw. And we must be running parallel as I also have an Evolution circular saw, which I bought in 2012 during my first garage job. It was the performance of the saw that led me to the mitre. Still going strong and, again, still on the original blade. Good products!

I hadn't realised it was made in you-know-where. Oh, well....

Interesting thought that in the late 40s/early 50s, after its dominant performance in WW2, the USA was producing around 80% of all the world's manufactured goods. How times have changed.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1