Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I read that 4th sentence as - you sat in front of the structure naked!! :nono:

There really are times we need an 'open mouthed - shock' button!

Edited by MarshLane
damm spellchecker!
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

There really are times we been an 'open mouthed - shock' button!

Yes, Rich.

"We interrupt this broadcast with some Breaking News....

A man has been taken into custody following a tip-off to Cumbria police, today. The man claims he's been building a viaduct in his garage, but the local Neighbourhood Watch - which has been monitoring the property for several weeks - reported chanting, incense fumes emerging from the garage vents and grunting sounds.

Police discovered a non-Lockdown bubble of naked people, including the property owner, gathered round the viaduct.... One lady claimed the BLUE viaduct colour was mesmerising and lifted her spirits. Another simply added that she had no interest in locomotives and had only called round in the hope of being invited into Jeff's shed to examine his 11 inch telescope"

"A spokesperson for the government said that Boris was not amused by the news, as he always preferred to look at HIS viaduct while clad in a green mankini...."

Jonathan, see what you've started here? :angel: :lol:

Jeff

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Physicsman said:

.... but the local Neighbourhood Watch - which has been monitoring the property for several weeks - reported chanting, incense fumes emerging from the garage vents .....

given the kind of mind that would be needed to concoct such a tale if not true .... are you sure it was incense fumes Jeff????

I beg leave at that point so that I don’t say anything further that could incriminate you further.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That does look better. I hope you were suitably attired when taking those photos?

I certainly was. Don't want the Neighbourhood Watch round again!!

And yes, the colour does look truer - and gives an idea of the variation in grey shades across the blocks, mostly caused by the different paint uptake of different areas of DAS.

J.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

And yes, the colour does look truer - and gives an idea of the variation in grey shades across the blocks, mostly caused by the different paint uptake of different areas of DAS.

J.

Jeff

Did you use white Das or Grey? Or a mix of both. That maybe is where the different shades comes from.

Steve

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2021 at 15:17, Ramrig said:

Jeff

Did you use white Das or Grey? Or a mix of both. That maybe is where the different shades comes from.

Steve

I've always used white DAS, including for all the stone walling.

The same "master" batch of grey acryllic (a mix of 2 Woodland Scenic greys, a dove grey and some burnt umber) was used as the source - diluted down - and applied onto the DAS. Some stones struggled to take in much of the wash (maybe they were more heavily coated in PVA), while areas with rougher, mortar splodges seemed to soak the wash up more easily and came out darker.

I'm very pleased with the way it looks, and the last batch of photos are the most representative of what it actually looks like in standard Bunker lighting.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Lovely shot, that last one.

beautiful gentle curve.

Looking forward to the lunacy!

It's just a pity that I couldn't build the whole layout with 100" radius curves.

Here's a pic from 2 days ago showing your "gentle curve" again, along with the track route off the south end of the viaduct.

Moon pics going up around 9pm.

Jeff

20210323_185705 crop.jpg

• Like 15

I'm so, so glad that a little sanity has returned to GH mate, I was getting seriously worried that Lockdown had taken its tole on you.

Now on  to the serious points.

No 1, The Viaduct Colour, = 10/10. 

No 2, The revers curve off the Viaduct, = 10/10,

No 3, Envious of how the long freights will look negotiating the revers curve and the Viaduct mate, 1000/1000:good:

Now the negatives,  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't remind us of the Mankini pics, so soon after eating.:notme:.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I'm so, so glad that a little sanity has returned to GH mate, I was getting seriously worried that Lockdown had taken its tole on you.

Now on  to the serious points.

No 1, The Viaduct Colour, = 10/10. 

No 2, The revers curve off the Viaduct, = 10/10,

No 3, Envious of how the long freights will look negotiating the revers curve and the Viaduct mate, 1000/1000:good:

Now the negatives,  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't remind up of the Mankini pics, so soon after eating.:notme:.

Very positive post, Andy. Glad you like the way it looks.

No more mention of that "green thing" - unless a certain person from Down Under brings it up again!

Now for some moon pics...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've attached some moon pics, taken on Sunday.

Ok, let me make it clear, they AREN'T simple photos. The first, for example, is a crop of a mosaic made up of 22 different pics. Each of those pics is compiled from 400 frames of an initial 4000 frame video sequence. I know most people aren't bothered about the detail, so, a summary.

Image 1: 22 pic mosaic (cropped) of the North Imbrium / Mare Frigoris region (largest crater about 85km diameter)

Image 2: 10 pic mosaic (cropped) of the Archimedes region of Mare Imbrium (largest crater about 100km diameter)

Image 3: 46 image mosaic, of which images 1 and 2 form a part

Image 4: 13 pic mosaic of the Ptolemaeus-Alphonsus chain (largest crater about 150km diameter)

These pics are very compressed JPEG pigs, cropped and re-sized to fit on RMW. The originals are much bigger and bear a lot more enlargement.

Jeff

Alps to Hercules R6 S12456Th stitch 22 CROP.jpg

Archimedes group R6 S12456Th stitch 10 CROP.jpg

E Imbrium Arch R6 S12456Th stitch 43 plus 4 CROP A.jpg

Ptolemaeus chain R6 S12456Th stitch 13 CROP.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 1

12 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

I've attached some moon pics, taken on Sunday.

Ok, let me make it clear, they AREN'T simple photos. The first, for example, is a crop of a mosaic made up of 22 different pics. Each of those pics is compiled from 400 frames of an initial 4000 frame video sequence. I know most people aren't bothered about the detail, so, a summary.

Image 1: 22 pic mosaic (cropped) of the North Imbrium / Mare Frigoris region (largest crater about 85km diameter)

Image 2: 10 pic mosaic (cropped) of the Archimedes region of Mare Imbrium (largest crater about 100km diameter)

Image 3: 46 image mosaic, of which images 1 and 2 form a part

Image 4: 13 pic mosaic of the Ptolemaeus-Alphonsus chain (largest crater about 150km diameter)

These pics are very compressed JPEG pigs, cropped and re-sized to fit on RMW. The originals are much bigger and bear a lot more enlargement.

Jeff

Alps to Hercules R6 S12456Th stitch 22 CROP.jpg

Archimedes group R6 S12456Th stitch 10 CROP.jpg

E Imbrium Arch R6 S12456Th stitch 43 plus 4 CROP A.jpg

Ptolemaeus chain R6 S12456Th stitch 13 CROP.jpg

Even er indoors was impressed Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Wow!! That viaduct it magnificent :good:

Thanks Chris. It did take me over 4 months to build, and after 19,000 stones I'm not sure if I'd ever want to build another one!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks Chris. It did take me over 4 months to build, and after 19,000 stones I'm not sure if I'd ever want to build another one!

Jeff

Oh go on, You know you want to.

At the rate on KL1, KL2 GH1, Your next PROJECT, a full 15 arch 12 ft long 4ft high Viaduct is only 12 Months away.:dancer::laugh:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Oh go on, You know you want to.

At the rate on KL1, KL2 GH1, Your next PROJECT, a full 15 arch 12 ft long 4ft high Viaduct is only 12 Months away.:dancer::laugh:

And, you know....

IF I found I had a huge room to "play" in, I think I would be tempted to build a full-scale version of something. It might have to be Smardale or Dent Head, as I couldn't do the same again. And, given the size involved, I could spend a lot longer on it, mixing it with other things.

Now SURELY that PROVES a degree of Lockdown madness?!

J.

• Agree 5

I love how crisp your moon shots have turned out. I still have a lot to learn :)  

The viaduct has turned out fantastic. My only gripe would be that it's going to be too close to the backboard at one end but that's entirely due to your space constraints so not something that could be changed. I've no doubt it won't be noticed once the landscape is there.

Graeme 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jacko said:

I love how crisp your moon shots have turned out. I still have a lot to learn :)  

The viaduct has turned out fantastic. My only gripe would be that it's going to be too close to the backboard at one end but that's entirely due to your space constraints so not something that could be changed. I've no doubt it won't be noticed once the landscape is there.

Graeme 

Morning Graeme.

Yes, unfortunately constraints of space - as always - impose limitations on "what might have been". It's frustrating to build the structure knowing that it can never look its best because of the position it has to occupy. But, in a way, it just adds to the challenge in creating the next batch of illusions to compensate for these shortcomings.

Lunar images. Focus, focus, focus.....The key mantra that is actually the aspect of the imaging process that gives me butterflies in the stomach while I'm outside taking data. I know that if I don't get it right then I might has well not have bothered. And, as you well know, getting a sharp image with the generally turbulent air we have in the UK is not easy.

I spend several minutes, 4 or 5 times in an imaging session, fiddling with the focus. Drives me bonkers at times!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Ah focus!  Up till recently that's been the bane of my life but I fitted a Celestron motor focusser a couple of months ago which is as smooth as satin so there's no wobble when focussing AND a couple of weeks ago I finally bought a bahtinov mask so I can now get stars pin sharp. Of course, as I'm using an SNT reflector there's always a chance of the mirror slipping :(

Graeme