Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

I like it....though that looks to be be the "view" to the west, in the direction of Stonehouse village (just visible in the mist).I

Maybe a Dr Who-like scene with blue sky above the Viaduct and a mist-ridden time swirl below.

If anyone else has views through the arches, please post them.

Jeff

I've been rumbled, it is looking the wrong way but I am not sure it would have been any more panoramic in the other direction!

The trick will be to introduce some perspective in the foreground: 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No rumbling, I appreciate your input!

I've noted a large number of perspective-related videos on You Tube. I don't have an issue with the perspective aspect, it's what the actual view is like that I'm a bit in the dark about. I've got loads of photos from above, at distance looking east and west, so I know what lies on the other side of the arches. But having some actual pics taken through them would be useful - but it ain't gonna happen.

So, I'll be making it up a bit, and as long as it looks presentable, that should be ok.

Thanks Steve.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Like this?

image.png.34998bd1fbe055faace65476d431ea10.png

Oh! Arches not Archers!

Jonathan, be careful. You are stooping down to the humour level of Peter Kaz....no offence, Peter....

I love it. 

You'll be singing "Underneath the Arches" next......Sugar, Sugar.....

J.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

You're teasing us again, Jeff.

Not really - it's just the work I'm doing at the clock end of the layout. 

You'll have seen it all before, but I'll put pics up as soon as I can. Probably tomorrow evening.

At least I don't have to do any painting!

J.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update....

The work I'm undertaking is taking a bit longer than expected, principally because the walling involved runs to around 3000 stones, which is 4 day's work, irrespective of doing anything else. Nothing spectacular, but I'd like to present some pics with it in a reasonable tidy state...probably Tuesday.

In the meantime, I added a few clouds onto the main backscene - puffy "middle-distance" ones - to add to the perspective.

Jeff

20210620_193301 Gcur cr.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, lambiedg said:

A lovely “summery” shot for the solstice, Jeff

D

The irony is, David, that the real weather in south Cumbria has been lovely, sunny and warm for the last week or so. Now, as we head into "astronomical summer", from June 21 on, it's cloudy and several degrees cooler.

At least the blue sky gives the Bunker a nice warm feeling when I go in there.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Since it may be a while before what I'm doing is (to me) in a presentable state, here's a pic showing the general idea - with static grassing, walling etc in a transitional state. I've also included a comparable pic from the KL2 thread, from 2017. I have about 15cm more space at the clock end and wanted something a bit more than a wall and backscene. 

Anyway, make of this what you will. More when I think it's worth showing.

Jeff

IMG_8327 crop.jpg

IMG_6335crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Very nice shots Jeff. It wont be long before you get to this stage now.

Very true. It took me over 2 years to get to that stage with KL2, and GH has been underway for about 8 months.

Not that there's any hurry!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve never thought lovely blue skies were the best backscene option given UK weather but looking at your most recent post I think in this case the greater contrast with the viaduct will work.

The lane is looking really good.

D

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I like the gorse bushes, Jeff or are they broom?

The jury is out on that one. We used to get a lot of broom in the wilder areas around Teesside, and it bears a resemblance to what's in the lane - though the lane specimens are only a scale 5 foot tall. Either way, the speckling of yellow adds a nice colour contrast.

1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

I’ve never thought lovely blue skies were the best backscene option given UK weather but looking at your most recent post I think in this case the greater contrast with the viaduct will work.

The lane is looking really good.

D

I agree - and it's better for the soul to walk into the Bunker and be greeted by some bright colours, rather than depressing greys - which we see often enough in the UK.

I'm pleased with the lane. Most of the scenery will be plain grass, but anywhere there are walls there's an excuse to have some vegetation.

I need to make a load of "dyke poles" for the walling - note to self.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just added some more 4 and 6mm grass onto the hillsides. Attached pic from phone showing a bit of wall and grass, grass, grass.

I've also had a change of plan re. something else I'm doing. It creates another 3 days work, but I think it will be worth it.

Jeff

20210622_192130 crop.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of "utility" pics showing work in progress on the modified cutting-side.

The total length of this is about 1.7m, with another small section - not shown - still to be sorted. Part of the backscene board is sat behind, to hide all the clutter!!

More when I have it.

Jeff

IMG_8353 crop.JPG

IMG_8354 crop.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lambiedg said:

Nailed it again then, Jeff?

Ha, David, not sure I've nailed it in the sense of getting it right....

But I have just put a base coat of grass onto one of the "constructions" and onto the most inaccessible part of the layout. In each case there's a nail...

Jeff

20210624_191258.jpg

20210624_190821.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Physicsman said:

But I have just put a base coat of grass onto one of the "constructions" and onto the most inaccessible part of the layout. In each case there's a nail...

Jeff

Jeff,

Call me picky but I am not sure you've grasped the concept this ... under pinning soil embankments, does not use those kind of nails! :nono: :P

That moveable piece looks really good tho.  Have you built up the land level on a piece of foam board? Presumably plaster or sculptamould I am guessing then grassed and walled on top of it?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

That moveable piece looks really good tho.  Have you built up the land level on a piece of foam board? Presumably plaster or sculptamould I am guessing then grassed and walled on top of it?

Rich

Hi Rich.

Have a look at the second pic I posted at around 5pm today and you can see the foam board sticking out at the end.

I used to build wooden frames to hold the scenery - look at the original KL. But KL2 and GH use insulation board - so much easier. I generally put a layer of modroc on top to hold it all together, then standard plaster. Followed by brown emulsion base coat, flock and then grass layers. It's great fun, but with a lot to do, it can get a bit tedious at times!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
Insert missing "a"
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1