Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2020 at 04:34, Physicsman said:

Blimey, it's another world at longitude 90 degrees west! Why build model railways when you can model in 1:1 gauge to make things like that? I can imagine you roaring round in that in a Mad Max film!

Looks like a lot of fun.

As for tea.....I tend to drink mostly coffee these days, but aside from the usual PG Tips and Yorkshire tea, I do like a bit of Earl Grey or Darjeeling.

Don't tell me you also have a tea plantation over there?

You'll be taking over the world soon, Shaun, and putting Jeff Bezos out of business!

Jeff

Don't know about roaring about in it (although it is rather loud), but when he has painted it I want to go with him to the Dept. of Motor vehicles when he applies for the number plates. You know just to see the guys face!

Believe it or not it's all very hard work, anyone who ever worked a gas powered chain saw will agree.

We have a dead fir tree down in the creek which stands at about 200 feet (61m). If we could fell it I'd never have to buy timber again!

Reason for asking which tea you drink is that you seem to have so much more energy than most of us and work at a pace that leaves me at least in the shadows mate.

Growing my own tea would be a good thing taking into account how much it costs to import PGtips.

Next year we are planing on planting a couple of small crops to add to the pool of home grown produce that most of my wife's family and all our neighbors grow. Today we're going on a walnut gathering trip, everyone here is concerned about impending food shortages and rising costs of timber.

I also have to go and help my friend with the mill because somebody took down quite a few trees and he has been offered the logs!

Anyway keep up the good work Jeff it's great watching your swift progress.

regards Shaun

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Shaun.

I really don't have a lot of energy, but I become obsessed with something once I get going.

After planning and thinking about this layout for 18 months the obsession is finding an avenue in the woodwork.

Let's see if the same thing continues when I start the cladding of the forthcoming viaduct!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some pics from today.

I'm gradually working my way around the walls. I did spend well over an hour today correcting one of the L-frames. It was built well enough, but the display cabinet in one of the corners meant it was out of position by 15cm. Doesn't sound much, but it meant one of the cross-joists was exactly where 2 turnout motors will be positioned.

Pain in the ar5e! Errors do occur! Hopefully they get spotted before it's too late.

Jeff

20201101_151001.jpg

20201101_151021.jpg

20201101_151137.jpg

20201101_151236.jpg

20201101_151242.jpg

• Like 9

On 30/10/2020 at 22:30, Physicsman said:

If you are waiting for cuttings, walling, vegetation, variable landscapes.....well, you've a fair bit of time to endure.

In the meantime, 4 days into building the layout "skeleton", the pics show the girder table that goes underneath the viaduct. Well, this is the first 6' (180cm) of it, there's an adjacent 2' section yet to be built. Tomorrow.

The legs on this table are only 40cm high. With the trackbed at 109cm, and a 49cm fall from track to base of viaduct, this allows me 20cm of landscape for the gill etc below the bottom of the viaduct itself.

Once the main tables are built, and ply tops fitted, I'll start on the viaduct. The main core of that structure should only take a week or so to build. Now as for the stonework - THAT may take a VERY long time....

Jeff

20201030_204329.jpg

20201030_204342.jpg

Stone by stone, as per the walls?

O.K.------O.K. I've left the building.:laugh:

• Funny 1

On 31/10/2020 at 01:21, Physicsman said:

Hi James.

On the diagram I have in front of me I have rail deck at 109cm, bottom of viaduct base 49cm down (scale about 120') at 60cm and an 8cm drop (20') based on the very pics you've Googled, taking me down to 52cm above the floor.

The legs are 40cm, and the top of the L-girder is 44mm higher, so at 44.4cm. The cross joists on top of the girders are 44mm, and there'll be a 12mm ply sheet across these, covering the whole table. So top of that is at 50cm above floor datum.

So I've really given myself the 10cm you talked about, from 60 to 50. Sorry I wasn't clear. SOME of the world's plaster is safe - for the time being!!

Jeff

With all those numbers, and me only speaking in Great British money and inches I've lost the will to live, so I'm outa hear.:o

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Evening Andy.

I know you're not so keen on numbers. I do recall that your favourite number was 6 - as in 6 inch nails you use to join everything together with....:o:rolleyes:

As for the viaduct, Rob (Teaky) suggested, tongue-in-cheek, a few weeks back that I might be doing it stone by stone. Given the alternatives, I'm considering it. Trouble is, I reckon it would take me 3 months to do the job (half the piers are under the ground, so not quite so big a task). But it would look nice - I hope.

If I lived near you I'd happily join in the fun in your loft.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The first time I've ever given anyone a GROAN Andy. Simply for even going there. Let alone putting the idea in Jeff's head. Mind you it would definitely look the part!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun....

Andy Peters is INNOCENT! :angel::angel:

Check out Rob's post (aka Teaky) on August 15, page 224 KL2.

The "seeds of stone", aka total feckin insanity, had already been sown.

I might need to start drinking more tea!! :o:P

Jeff

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2020 at 11:20, teaky said:

:diablo_mini:

It's ok, Rob. I won't hold suggesting the idea against you!

Given the tapered shape of the viaduct piers and the number of sheets of Slaters needed to cover the thing - AND the problems joining them all etc etc I'd independently concluded I'd give the stone method a go, on one pier. If it looks crap I'll think again.

It will take ages, but can be done bit by bit. I'm hoping to build the viaduct skeleton in the next week. However, the new lockdown may deprive me of my supply of 3mm ply/mdf, so we'll see where we end up.

Jeff

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Physicsman said:

It's ok, Rob. I won't hold suggesting the idea against you!

Given the tapered shape of the viaduct piers and the number of sheets of Slaters needed to cover the thing - AND the problems joining them all etc etc I'd independently concluded I'd give the stone method a go, on one pier. If it looks crap I'll think again.

It will take ages, but can be done bit by bit. I'm hoping to build the viaduct skeleton in the next week. However, the new lockdown may deprive me of my supply of 3mm ply/mdf, so we'll see where we end up.

Jeff

The real thing took ages as well Jeff, come on, you CAN do it.:good:

Had you considered DAS Modelling Clay, and scribing it?

And in other news, I cleared my local B & Q out of 3mm white faced Hardboard on Monday, I think every Tradesman and his wife / Husband / Boyfriend / Lover was in there stocking up.:o

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

The stones that make up my walls are all made from DAS, and I've currently got 5kg in stock. I guess I'll need it.

I'm not a fan of scribing DAS, probably because I'm really not very good at it. So it looks like the build it brick-by-brick route for me.

My ply and MDF supplier tells me they will still be open during lockdown, so Ill be able to obtain my 3mm sheet. Phew!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how fixed you are on building walls stone by stone but a fellow modeller has pointed me to these:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/ekmps/shops/osbornsmodels/aloo200-arch-laser-flexible-cotswold-stone-walling-41828-p.asp

which I am sure with a little work can be made to resemble drystone walls from around the country and not just the Cotswolds. I'm going to give them a try.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, branchie said:

Blimey, those boards aren't going anywhere, are they!?! 

Very impressed by the sturdiness and tidiness of the construction. 

Thanks for the comment.

Do we have a name - I'll stick with "branchie" if you prefer. Even though I'm known as Physicsman on here, everyone always refers to my first name.

Unless they are swearing at me.....:o

Jeff

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Not sure how fixed you are on building walls stone by stone but a fellow modeller has pointed me to these:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/ekmps/shops/osbornsmodels/aloo200-arch-laser-flexible-cotswold-stone-walling-41828-p.asp

which I am sure with a little work can be made to resemble drystone walls from around the country and not just the Cotswolds. I'm going to give them a try.

Thanks for the info, Jonathan. The walls are very nice, but are not quite S&C.

However, nitpicking over, they will save you a lot of effort and look great on your layout.

Seeing the commercial product is going to force me to refine my method and "up" my game. I have some ideas in mind.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've cut the top and base sections for the viaduct - from 12mm ply.

Outer radius is 100 inches (254cm), and the road deck is 110mm wide. 

The ply "arc" is about 2.1m (nearly 7 foot in old money) and the pics put the size into context.

Btw, Andy is going to hate this post - it has inches, mm, cm and metres all chucked in. I didn't do it deliberately - HONEST!!! Haaahaheeheeehee, as the Bodge would say!

Jeff

20201105_183640.jpg

20201105_183659.jpg

20201105_183717.jpg

20201105_192320.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Thanks for the comment.

Do we have a name - I'll stick with "branchie" if you prefer. Even though I'm known as Physicsman on here, everyone always refers to my first name.

Unless they are swearing at me.....:o

Jeff

Hi Jeff. 

It'll be Christian. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Now even more confused.

BTW I've had to abandon my project.:cry:

Was there a shortage of timber, caused by someone in the North West?   Or did the plaster supply dry up ?  How about material for stone viaduct construction- Wills sheets just doubled in price on Ebay? 

:)

(on a more serious note, I hope it is a temporary abandonment order, or a change in direction...not like you've done that before Andy ! )

James

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, branchie said:

Hi Jeff. 

It'll be Christian. 

Hi Christian.

Welcome aboard. I hope you find the thread entertaining, and you may wish to have a look at its predecessor "Kirkby Luneside (2)" to see where it's going.

All comments welcome, so feel free to give your opinion.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1