Jump to content

Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour


Physicsman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Jeff, The controller sounds a good move, especially as you know the system.

 

Good to see the Goods Shed looking good as well.:haha:

 

Keep some pics coming.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Those windows look the business, Jeff. They fit so nicely in the openings. A worth-while investment and now no excuse for those wanting to make a 4mm version of Kirkby Stephen goods shed!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

The goods shed is making superb progress. You really are becoming a master at getting the stonework look right out of DAS clay!

Rich

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Jeff, The controller sounds a good move, especially as you know the system.

 

Good to see the Goods Shed looking good as well.:haha:

 

Keep some pics coming.

 

Hi Andy.

 

Having read your comment, I couldn't help but oblige, so there are some more pics below.

 

Lads, thanks for the feedback. I'm only just getting back into "scratchbuild mode" after all the goods yard weathering and wiring. The "bug" still hasn't grabbed me 100%, so it may be slow going for a while.

 

I've now fitted all 11 large windows and one of the two small ones in the shed office. The pics show incomplete doors (NOT fitted, just pushed into place for the pics - and the end ones DO have a loading gauge to be fitted underneath!), made in 2018, that need more work. I may need to buy some more Wills dressed stone sheets, I'll have to have a look.

 

The roof is 2mm ply sheet - I'll need to draw out the slate rows - the ones in the pic date back to 2018 and need re-doing.

 

I'll try and get something done over the next week or so, so keep looking in!

 

Jeff

 

20211003_192145.jpg

 

20211003_192236.jpg

 

20211003_192219.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jeff,

The goods shed is making superb progress. You really are becoming a master at getting the stonework look right out of DAS clay!

Rich

 

Very good, Rich. If I was THAT skilled at making DAS blocks look like those plastic sheets I'd patent the method!

  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peach james said:


I'm @#[email protected]# when I realize I've been retired from the navy for 5 years !  I've got a few more before I get to 30 years out of high school though...

James

 

At least you're the right side of 50, James!

 

I retired (early) over 9 years ago. Shocking - where does the time go? Answer - into the Bunker and observatory, most likely!

 

Jeff

  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Physicsman said:

 

Hi Andy.

 

Having read your comment, I couldn't help but oblige, so there are some more pics below.

 

Lads, thanks for the feedback. I'm only just getting back into "scratchbuild mode" after all the goods yard weathering and wiring. The "bug" still hasn't grabbed me 100%, so it may be slow going for a while.

 

I've now fitted all 11 large windows and one of the two small ones in the shed office. The pics show incomplete doors (NOT fitted, just pushed into place for the pics - and the end ones DO have a loading gauge to be fitted underneath!), made in 2018, that need more work. I may need to buy some more Wills dressed stone sheets, I'll have to have a look.

 

The roof is 2mm ply sheet - I'll need to draw out the slate rows - the ones in the pic date back to 2018 and need re-doing.

 

I'll try and get something done over the next week or so, so keep looking in!

 

Jeff

 

20211003_192145.jpg

 

20211003_192236.jpg

 

20211003_192219.jpg

See, That wasn't to painful was it, fantastic job.

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Physicsman said:

 

Very good, Rich. If I was THAT skilled at making DAS blocks look like those plastic sheets I'd patent the method!

 

Hi Jeff,

Oops - moral of this story is dont reply to forum posts at midnight!!  Looking closer I can see its Plastikard sheet now ... you had me fooled to start with tho!  Still looks good tho, but sorry for mis-seeing how you'd done the sides.

Rich

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

See, That wasn't to painful was it, fantastic job.

 

Haha. Not painful, just that I'm getting completely out of the habit of being on here. I even struggled to remember my password yesterday!

 

57 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

 

Hi Jeff,

Oops - moral of this story is dont reply to forum posts at midnight!!  Looking closer I can see its Plastikard sheet now ... you had me fooled to start with tho!  Still looks good tho, but sorry for mis-seeing how you'd done the sides.

Rich

 

I'll forgive you Rich, and I'll take it as a compliment that you almost expect me to be making it so life-like!

 

I could build a shed in DAS with the same level of detail as the Wills sheets, but it would take forever - well, probably a month - just for the stone coating. And very fiddly with the high proportion of smaller blocks, and even I'm not quite mad enough to try it. The previous DAS shed was enough of a challenge.I

 

Maybe on the next shed, for the 00 shunting plank....

 

For the record, all the windows are now fitted, lintels added at the office end, more quoins fitted. I'll be building the internal work area tomorrow, as well as filling-in around the windows. Then it'll be the roof. So, enough for the next week or so. Pics of "progress" probably over the weekend.

 

Jeff

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well, for some daft reason, my last post has been put up twice.

 

Maybe someone will read one of them!

 

Edit: Duplicate post now "hidden".

Edited by Physicsman
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, lambiedg said:

I’ve also bought a secondhand Lenz system for the new shunting plank and for the same reasons of familiarity and bulletproof ness!

The she’d looks really good.

 

D

 

Good choice, David.

 

Nothing flash, does the job and does it well.

 

I, too, will be using my old Lenz controller when I come to build my shunting plank - probably next year (it's just a place to run some of my 00 stock and will probably be around 8' x 18" ).

 

Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 03/10/2021 at 15:27, Physicsman said:

 

Hi Andy.

 

Having read your comment, I couldn't help but oblige, so there are some more pics below.

 

Lads, thanks for the feedback. I'm only just getting back into "scratchbuild mode" after all the goods yard weathering and wiring. The "bug" still hasn't grabbed me 100%, so it may be slow going for a while.

 

I've now fitted all 11 large windows and one of the two small ones in the shed office. The pics show incomplete doors (NOT fitted, just pushed into place for the pics - and the end ones DO have a loading gauge to be fitted underneath!), made in 2018, that need more work. I may need to buy some more Wills dressed stone sheets, I'll have to have a look.

 

The roof is 2mm ply sheet - I'll need to draw out the slate rows - the ones in the pic date back to 2018 and need re-doing.

 

I'll try and get something done over the next week or so, so keep looking in!

 

Jeff

 

20211003_192145.jpg

 

20211003_192236.jpg

 

20211003_192219.jpg

Hi Jeff

 

do you have a post, showing how you've hidden the joints of the Wills sheets, I have never been happy with my efforts, but this looks fabulous.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, stevel said:

Hi Jeff

 

do you have a post, showing how you've hidden the joints of the Wills sheets, I have never been happy with my efforts, but this looks fabulous.

 

Hi Steve.

 

Thanks, glad you think it looks ok. Wills sheets are great to a point, but as you say, the joins can be a nightmare. Which was exactly the case when I first put the sheets onto the ply skeleton. Different things were tried before I came up with my solution - probably been done by loads of others, too!

 

So, have a look on the Kirkby Luneside thread, pages 179-180, for my first set of efforts (July 2017) and page 181 shows the method I came up with to try to blend the sheets together. I could have pushed the method a bit further than I actually did, but -as you'll see - there's a limit to how much cutting-out of bricks you might want to do.

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside/page/179/

 

Have a go, and let me know if this is helpful.

 

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Physicsman said:

 

Hi Steve.

 

Thanks, glad you think it looks ok. Wills sheets are great to a point, but as you say, the joins can be a nightmare. Which was exactly the case when I first put the sheets onto the ply skeleton. Different things were tried before I came up with my solution - probably been done by loads of others, too!

 

So, have a look on the Kirkby Luneside thread, pages 179-180, for my first set of efforts (July 2017) and page 181 shows the method I came up with to try to blend the sheets together. I could have pushed the method a bit further than I actually did, but -as you'll see - there's a limit to how much cutting-out of bricks you might want to do.

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside/page/179/

 

Have a go, and let me know if this is helpful.

 

Jeff

Hi Jeff

 

thanks for the link, i think this will work well, i previously tried the liquid plastic method of sprue melted in MEK, which works fine for other projects, but not so well for these sheets.

 

Steve

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeff does this look familiar, after reading your link again re blending wills sheet I remembered finding this on Google streeview. A veiw of the viaduct in Redruth Cornwall.

597466445_Willsstonesheeting.PNG

  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, stevel said:

Hi Jeff does this look familiar, after reading your link again re blending wills sheet I remembered finding this on Google streeview. A veiw of the viaduct in Redruth Cornwall.

597466445_Willsstonesheeting.PNG

 

Yes, it does bear more than a passing resemblance to the Wills sheets!

 

J.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loving this Jeff. I think, for me, it's the buildings that give the S&C it's unique charm and watching your methods is certainly giving me the incentive to get some work done on mine (even if it's only to repaint the old ratio loco shed I built 20 odd years ago - in theory it has no place on my planned 'Lazonby' but 'rule 1 ' :) ).

How's the weather been down your way BTW?  Since the start of September it's been constant rain and clouds up here. In fact, we've only had a couple of clear nights for observing and Monday's double shadow on Jupiter has been my first imaging session since August.    

 

Graeme

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Graeme.

 

The weather down here has been [email protected], added to the low altitude of the Moon in the summer months. So no imaging done, but hope to rectify that from this month onwards.

 

The S&C buildings do have a lot of character and their uniformity along the line readily identifies the system as "Midland". It's amazing how many things there are to do on the shed/station building etc. Just as you think you're making good progress, a few more details appear to be worked on. But it's great fun, and a lot better than buying a shed "off the shelf", even if that were possible.I

 

I'm off to draw-up some roof tiles now.

 

Jeff

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...