Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

There aren't any good close-up images of the large Arten Gill cutting, so the retaining wall is "shrouded in mystery".

I am NOT trying to do a carbon copy, anyway, but I WILL pay homage to the fact that there are some walls in place. My strategy will be revealed after I've tried it - probably this time next week.

J.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a catch-up but Hoof prints in mud - never thought of it but will now with Jam  + 1 comment; and cutting embankment straight with a knife Mr Wolf - why did I use a saw that was messy ... we learn a little every day on this thread keep it going.

Just back from my Mum's funeral so I've missed a few weeks. I'll try not to be too sycophantic but the layout is coming along wonderfully Jeff :)  Looking at the hoofprints, I'd like to make an observation..... I spent a lot of summers in my youth helping my uncle on his farm in Weardale and he had a narrow lane between 2 fields that he kept his beasts in. As your modelling suggests, they'd generally walk singly or maybe 2 abreast on the lane but they are remarkably stupid animals and would congregate in a big group at either end before one of them would pluck up the courage to walk the lane. This meant that a good 20 square yards of the field at either end of the lane was a quagmire. Might be worth modelling this at either end of the bridge.   

Graeme

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for hardly ever having stuck my head in here since this started. It's all looking good; I've not read every back post but hopefully constructive criticism is that I'm not convinced by the clouds on the backscene.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Apologies for hardly ever having stuck my head in here since this started. It's all looking good; I've not read every back post but hopefully constructive criticism is that I'm not convinced by the clouds on the backscene.

Ah, but you have to explain why....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Rowsley17D said:

Happy New Year, Jeff. The full height backboard in part of the photo looks very effective, any plans to go full height with the rest?

The answer to that is a simple "no". I fitted a full height board behind the viaduct as I anticipated taking photos from ground level, looking up past the Gill onto the structure. 

I could, of course, have continued the other backscenes by painting the walls....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Ah, but you have to explain why....

Yes, very fair point. It's hard to put a finger on it exactly, but they feel somehow too regular perhaps? It might simply be something to do with the length and perspective, which isn't something that it's possible to do anything about, i.e. dealing with the fact that the backscene is in reality right next to the layout instead of a long distance away.

As for the mud, I can feel my feet going squelch and getting stuck just by looking at it...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Yes, very fair point. It's hard to put a finger on it exactly, but they feel somehow too regular perhaps? It might simply be something to do with the length and perspective, which isn't something that it's possible to do anything about, i.e. dealing with the fact that the backscene is in reality right next to the layout instead of a long distance away.

As for the mud, I can feel my feet going squelch and getting stuck just by looking at it...

Hi Simon.

I can see what you are getting at. The effect isn't so noticeable on the larger board behind the viaduct. It's more apparent behind the station area, and is probably a consequence of the way I painted the scene. There are about 4 distinct boards there, each of which was painted separately away from the wall and then fitted into place. As a result, my "painting pattern" for the clouds was probably the same for each board. Put all the boards together and you get regularity.

I'm not going to take the boards off the wall (bit awkward), but I may try to de-regularise things a bit.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Happy new year Jeff!

Just wondering what work is left on those embankments? 

Jay

Evening Jay.

I need to add-in some "shrubbery" - not a lot, but in line with the end of the cutting nearest the viaduct..

The bridge needs fitting in place - just at the mud level, so I can take it out, if needed.

Then there's the area around the mud-moshpit. 

All of these use lots of PVA, and even though the Bunker temperature has been around 17C it still takes a while to set.

THEN I can start on the diorama!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK just to add my 2p worth a good sky will really bring everything together, I experimented on Exhill for some time to try to get it right ( fairly easy when it's only 8' long.

One of the best guides on painting backscenes is to study landscape painting videos on YouTube.

I started with a mid blue to get some depth then after 24 hours went over this with a thin was of white working this up to create a haze for the the cloud line to come up from. Wait 24 hours

It's important to work out your horizon so you have the vanishing point.

Then start the clouds, I used a  1" and built the clouds up bit by bit in a circular motion basically  blob, blob, fashion and then thined out with water as I went, add in some wispy thined clouds along with a touch of grey to build up the shadows, add a touch of blue to tint them, and highlights of pure white.

You also need to determine which direction the sun is coming from and the wind as this will help.

946306602_Backscene(22).jpg.d5fa2911172c76ebee110c7f9b948ac3.jpg

651672357_Backscene(21).jpg.b8d4817f77bb04801dc5c4d20c6f1e2e.jpg

484528997_Backscene(20).jpg.18160e01d760887de9af85a1b5d42cac.jpg

Hope this helps - not trying to hijack your topic

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Jay.

I need to add-in some "shrubbery" - not a lot, but in line with the end of the cutting nearest the viaduct..

The bridge needs fitting in place - just at the mud level, so I can take it out, if needed.

Then there's the area around the mud-moshpit. 

All of these use lots of PVA, and even though the Bunker temperature has been around 17C it still takes a while to set.

THEN I can start on the diorama!

Thanks Jeff - I did wonder as looking at the prototype photos the vegetation is quite sparse. The subtle texture changes you’ve achieved look great already. 
If you ever need a fast drying PVA there’s a product called Speed Bond which sets in about 10 minutes. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I looks fantastic Jeff. Really captures the reality of the railway going through the countryside. To me that makes a huge difference and is something I’m working on capturing on my attempt at the northern fells. 
Great work and thanks for taking the time to keep us all updated on the progress. 
Happy new year 

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks Jeff - I did wonder as looking at the prototype photos the vegetation is quite sparse. The subtle texture changes you’ve achieved look great already. 
If you ever need a fast drying PVA there’s a product called Speed Bond which sets in about 10 minutes. 

Jay

In general the railway surroundings on the S&C are relatively sparse. 

However, cutting/embankment areas can be heavily populated with vegetation.

Here are some examples, all from the S&C, photos taken between late spring and early autumn - it's amazing how plant life finds a niche to live in. And it provides a great opportunity to model some detail.

Of course, there are LARGE areas - walled off in most of Gill Head, where the herbivores have precedence and grass becomes a dominant feature. Funny how so many people fail to understand the consequences of removing sheep from the Lakeland Fells!

The last 2 pics are of part of the cutting I'm actually modelling, pics taken since 2000. In my period, c. 1960-75, the vegetation levels, especially the trees, were greatly reduced. On these 2 pics - look to the right hand side - the vegetation on the spoil heaps is accessible to sheep....quite a difference!

1-force-gill-aqueduct-d2-0111.jpg.f0943e3852fb6d41c5a40ff56ad80ceb.jpg

15007264641_3ed5355a41_b.jpg.f8e4849656d9645375e3af8502562aac.jpg

blea-moor-tunnel-settle-to-carlisle-railway-looking-along-southern-entrance-mile-yards-long-just-north-32844891.jpg.f70b1e928a155c6633981e31bb92d77c.jpg

974841129_Railway_cutting_south_of_Birkett_Tunnel_Mallerstang_-_geograph_org.uk_-_124477.jpg.8c92eee3c0c3be9e65211f89b4f785b5.jpg

263394044_8190870909_2f500ee01b_bCROP.jpg.09ea43da21e5c75b3523a0addfe6a634.jpg

1995344865_6112_1297201600CROP.jpg.0c14d948f72c3a2847eb66de8008c42d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, John Besley said:

OK just to add my 2p worth a good sky will really bring everything together, I experimented on Exhill for some time to try to get it right ( fairly easy when it's only 8' long.

One of the best guides on painting backscenes is to study landscape painting videos on YouTube.

I started with a mid blue to get some depth then after 24 hours went over this with a thin was of white working this up to create a haze for the the cloud line to come up from. Wait 24 hours

It's important to work out your horizon so you have the vanishing point.

Then start the clouds, I used a  1" and built the clouds up bit by bit in a circular motion basically  blob, blob, fashion and then thined out with water as I went, add in some wispy thined clouds along with a touch of grey to build up the shadows, add a touch of blue to tint them, and highlights of pure white.

You also need to determine which direction the sun is coming from and the wind as this will help.

946306602_Backscene(22).jpg.d5fa2911172c76ebee110c7f9b948ac3.jpg

651672357_Backscene(21).jpg.b8d4817f77bb04801dc5c4d20c6f1e2e.jpg

484528997_Backscene(20).jpg.18160e01d760887de9af85a1b5d42cac.jpg

Hope this helps - not trying to hijack your topic

John, thanks for that.

I'm not making a big deal about the clouds and sky. I'm no artist and my current attitude is that ANY backscene is preferable to none.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In response to some of the above posts.

I think we are looking at some of the best and most realistic scenic modelling, I have seen in a long time. Jeff has taken his time building a fantastic viaduct using individually shaped DAS stones, metres and metres of dry stone walls using individual DAS stones and static grass and foliage to create amazing embankments and all the discussions are about painted clouds, which are minor to the overall picture.

I for one applauded what you have achieved and look forward to seeing this layout develop further in the coming years. 
I also look forward to seeing Hell Ghyll sidings and your dioramas come to life in the coming months and the display of your 00 stock.

keep up the top work Jeff.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

In response to some of the above posts.

I think we are looking at some of the best and most realistic scenic modelling, I have seen in a long time. Jeff has taken his time building a fantastic viaduct using individually shaped DAS stones, metres and metres of dry stone walls using individual DAS stones and static grass and foliage to create amazing embankments and all the discussions are about painted clouds, which are minor to the overall picture.

I for one applauded what you have achieved and look forward to seeing this layout develop further in the coming years. 
I also look forward to seeing Hell Ghyll sidings and your dioramas come to life in the coming months and the display of your 00 stock.

keep up the top work Jeff.

100% agree with all of that - it’s a wonderful layout!

Jay

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Your 4-image panoramas really show how realistic your modelling is.  Your 4 plus image panoramas of the moon came to mind (hope to see some more soon) and those are put together with great magnification.  Skill in a number of fields.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1