Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Jason T said:

I recognise those 21 ton hoppers... :)

I had an ULTERIOR MOTIVE when I posted those pics.

The hoppers were the only readily available EM wagons in the Bunker (the rest are still in the loft), BUT I wondered if putting them on here might pull you out of hibernation!

Good. Great to see you are still surviving the rigours of parenthood.

How about a PM to let me know what you've been doing? 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I often look mate, but rarely post.

I was going to get in touch anyway as I have a ton of EM gauge stock (and a few locos) that I won't be using for the foreseeable future, so was wondering whether you'd like a long term loan? I would rather see them used than stagnate

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, I was going to ask why the embankment to the western side of the yard (next to the lie-by siding) stops short by some distance....

:D

You don't escape my critique that easily!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Jason T said:

Also, I was going to ask why the embankment to the western side of the yard (next to the lie-by siding) stops short by some distance....

:D

You don't escape my critique that easily!

Bl**dy hell, you don't change, do you? GOOD. Just what we need.

Not that I think that was a serious question, but the simple answer is - I'm running out of workspace at the moment so the area adjacent to the station is being kept blank.

As for more serious suggestions, yes, I'll take some stock off your hands as a loan - maybe wait until a bit later this year? And - shock, horror, I'd even let you do the "Doctor Jason" surgery treatment on a Black 5, if you ever had ten minutes to convert one to EM.

Keep posting - I'm going out to the Bunker to do some griming and walling.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Bl**dy hell, you don't change, do you? GOOD. Just what we need.

Not that I think that was a serious question, but the simple answer is - I'm running out of workspace at the moment so the area adjacent to the station is being kept blank.

As for more serious suggestions, yes, I'll take some stock off your hands as a loan - maybe wait until a bit later this year? And - shock, horror, I'd even let you do the "Doctor Jason" surgery treatment on a Black 5, if you ever had ten minutes to convert one to EM.

Keep posting - I'm going out to the Bunker to do some griming and walling.

Ten minutes to convert a Black Five to EM? :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jason T said:

Ten minutes to convert a Black Five to EM? :D

Well, you always claimed to be a "miracle worker"!!

I seem to recall a post on KL2 where you threatened to convert one of my Black 5s while I went out for a p00. Or a pEM, as you joked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, that was to remove that ridiculous and erroneous 'shelf' from the tender, as well as the solid chunk from under the smokebox, that ruins the whole look of the front end.

Look at the area under the smokebox on a Black Five and then an 8F - the 8F is how it should look.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Nice to see one of your cutting photos in the March BRM magazine, Jeff.

Cheers Jonathan. Always nice to see some acknowledgement that others "rate" what you've been doing.

I've been sent a PDF  of the relevant page, but might get a copy of the mag.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been posting a lot of stuff on my diorama thread for the last month. Some action will resume on here in a short while.

Either people are unaware of the Glorious Steam thread (diorama) or are fed up with the scenic work and don't want to look (!!), but I'll post today's picture-posts from GS onto here, in case some of you ARE interested.

Here's the first, a collection of pics showing a 12cm wire wound armature as it transitions to a "tree". For further details, have a look at the diorama thread.

20220205_161616cr.jpg.310301f87093635e1e8ba9db3f74ddc5.jpg

20220205_182143cr.jpg.a4923516f1b8c5f381145cf187491466.jpg

20220206_144300cr.jpg.c49543e19d995a8eb6df405d45c3997c.jpg

20220206_163857cr.jpg.f884d9368415e18cdbcdec09869624cc.jpg

20220206_231604cr.jpg.847b1da014c6f6cb850e9bc64336064f.jpg

20220207_141140cr.jpg.ac64b7dcec4764e1502158b96ad7d8c9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

I think most threads are the same Jeff, Last time I posted 3 SETS of posts of new updates, I only had 3 comments.

Tree looks good.:good:

Thanks, Andy. Agree, the Forum is much quieter than it used to be - though I also spend a tiny fraction of the time on here compared to 10 years ago!

Here's a duplicate set of the diorama pics I've just stuck on GS. I won't do any more duplication.

20220207_143504cr.jpg.59b3515930c6c593090b523dea3dcb8e.jpg

20220207_143747cr.jpg.09877510c815a6c7fde5663f0c659e46.jpg

20220207_144037cr.jpg.43c02bb5380d083f85109e8328e481de.jpg

20220207_144507cr.jpg.dbee0813668011b47485d3ffd281c24e.jpg

20220207_144521cr.jpg.d14601e0ac1d3fe1c19ecae4bb394f81.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

I really like the look of that, I've been experimenting with bits of soft iron, aluminum and copper wire for armatures and combinations of both, before pulling them apart and having another go. 

I do think that you have the proportions right at 120mm, although that is only a scale 30feet, it looks right, especially for an uplands tree. 

Somehow scale ninety footers overwhelm the surroundings. I dread to think how Americans cope with modelling trees at 200ft and above.

I've yet to bite the bullet and actually make finished trees, these will be the last thing on the layout, as they're rather vulnerable.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I really like the look of that, I've been experimenting with bits of soft iron, aluminum and copper wire for armatures and combinations of both, before pulling them apart and having another go. 

I do think that you have the proportions right at 120mm, although that is only a scale 30feet, it looks right, especially for an uplands tree. 

Somehow scale ninety footers overwhelm the surroundings. I dread to think how Americans cope with modelling trees at 200ft and above.

I've yet to bite the bullet and actually make finished trees, these will be the last thing on the layout, as they're rather vulnerable.

Hi Rob.

These are my first wire wound efforts. Great fun, but I'd definitely use sea foam onto the armatures.

Time consuming but worth it!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The trees look great Jeff! Sea foam is a recent discovery for me and it seems like a winner for finer tree beaches and shrubbery. 

Regarding the forum being quieter - I reckon the speed issues and loading times have been putting people off. That’s certainly the case with myself having such limited time (due to a massive work project) to browse, comment etc. 

Jay

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

The trees look great Jeff! Sea foam is a recent discovery for me and it seems like a winner for finer tree beaches and shrubbery. 

Regarding the forum being quieter - I reckon the speed issues and loading times have been putting people off. That’s certainly the case with myself having such limited time (due to a massive work project) to browse, comment etc. 

Jay

Agree with all your comments, Jay.

It's especially frustrating when after submitting posts, the post doesn't actually save.

I know it's ten years ago, but this Forum was a VERY active place. Just the way of the world, I suppose!

J.

• Like 1

I did find for a while on my own thread that I had to write a post, post it and then return to edit it with photos, otherwise I got a fail message. I initially thought it was my device, but had no problems at all with any other platform.

It seems to be much better this last week or so and I can post multiple pictures without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I put a link to a very useful tree-making video on the Glorious Steam diorama thread. This is so good that I'll also put the link here:

Agree with comments about the performance of the Forum this week. Andy York has enough on his plate with other issues, but I know the Forum performance and advert "problems" have been driving him nuts.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing the video, very interesting. I also have a copy of Gordon Gravett's book Modelling trees - part one deciduous trees, which is a very informative read going into modelling distinct species.

I found that it was the adverts that were swallowing up my phone memory causing photos not uploading or the site to drop out. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time I posted a short update on here.

With the diorama project effectively completed, the focus has returned to Gill Head over the past week or so.

I've rebuilt around 2 metres of wall in that time. When the present section (about 3m in total) is done and painted, I'll post some pics.

Then it's a case of building more trees for GH, before more walling.... Re-walling, that is.

And Hell Ghyll approacheth!

J.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2022 at 12:40, MrWolf said:

Thanks for sharing the video, very interesting. I also have a copy of Gordon Gravett's book Modelling trees - part one deciduous trees, which is a very informative read going into modelling distinct species.

I found that it was the adverts that were swallowing up my phone memory causing photos not uploading or the site to drop out. 

Rob, I've just bought a copy of this. Superb book, full of expertise and practical inspiration.

I've ordered a copy of his Landscaping book to see what ideas I can glean from there.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There's a second volume on modelling coniferous trees also, but I have gleaned a fair bit of information from the internet on that subject. Although Gordon was working in 7mm scale, the techniques translate to 4mm very well.

The finished trees may look a little daunting perhaps, but the writing style and progress pictures just make you want to learn the skill.

Every day is a school day and all that.

Glad you found it useful.

I don't think I have seen the landscaping book yet but you can never have enough books.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, totally agree re. the school day. His book is very inspirational, and although few of us would achieve his standard, the photos and text encourage trying to do that. And WANTING to do that.

I'm very happy with my trees, but they were first attempts, so with a bit of effort....

I left the coniferous book, for now. I'm just curious as to the contents of the third one - grass, weeds, landscape etc. We know how good the Gravett's are, and it's a pleasure to have the books for education. Always great when such talented people are so humble and prepared to share their techniques. 

The books aren't cheap, but worth every penny.

And btw, I fancy having a go at a Hawthorn - splendid pic towards the back of the book.

Edited by Physicsman
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1