N gauge terrier liveries

Mr chapman

Just curious on this one. How are the liveries chosen on these models? What's the aversion to southern livery on the n gauge terrier? There have been a couple of olive terriers, a black one in the first batch (with unpainted buffer beams! ) and no malachite versions. I would have thought it would make sense to have a southern model in the range at most times, maybe every other batch? I get there are collectors who buy all the odd ball paint jobs and I assume a demand for the MANY LBSCR versions released. But how about having one that matches the nice coaches they make? Surely the collectors would by the southern models as well...

Southern yes please, however where are these "nice coaches they make", I am not aware of much current RTR  N gauge coaches in SR livery.  The type of stock used with SR Terriers would have been cascaded pre-grouping carriages, not the latest Maunsell & Bulleid ones,  (Note: the SR built no steam hauled surburban or local carriages, only main line stock), The best available are the long out of production Farish generic 4 wheel and bogie suburban stock.  Many Hattons could produce their generic 4 and 6 wheel stock in N if the OO is a success?, this could lead to a demand for SR terriers.

Malachite:- only carried by one locomotive, yes would be nice to have.

Pete

Edited by IWCR
text spacing
  • Agree 1

I agree on your points. I certainly think the hattons coaches would do well in N. Whether you agree with them or not. I'd buy some certainly. I currently run repainted and detailed shredded wheet coaches. Whilst not strictly appropriate I think a southern terrier would be purchased to run with the maunsell coaches by a lot of modellers. It's logical to have a matching livery of locomotives and coaches in the range. Like selling LMS coaches but only having br livery locomotives to run with them. There may have been just the one terrier in malachite but they certainly aren't afraid of one off liveries. Certainly they have an odd policy to me. Like the M7, olive green in the first batch and then never again despite a slight tweek to the tooling.