Accurascale Welcomes Paul Isles On Board!

22 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I thought Heljan were doing a 45

10 hours ago, mdvle said:

They are, though anyone really, really wanting a 45 might be wise to glance through the thread about the model.

Yeah just checked it out see what you mean, I will have to wait and see how it turns out.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This is indeed in danger of turning into a wish list , but I would have thought modern emus and dmus might feature , following on from their Mk5 coach sets .

Now becoming historic , but new when I were a lad is 507/508/313/314/315 family of emus  which I'd be surprised if any of the mainstream cos would do , well they havent for the last 44 years!  Something more up to date , well one of these new Anglia units would be interesting . Suspicion Hornby may be looking at that though (just because its new and different)

Of course the obvious thing to model  is a Swindon 126 Ayrshire Unit , huge market for that ..................well I'd buy one or two!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Totally agree, notwithstanding the huge sums of money involved in development and production, then of course for the purchaser to hand over.

I would have thought the "star" series of 37x and 17x units should have enough commonality for slides to cope with some of the differences. Many people would probably say "too modern" but the Accurascale lads and Cavalex have summarily dismissed that concept.

More in keeping with my era I wonder if the class 302, 304, 305, 307 and 308 family could be embraced with slides for variants. Not very knowledgeable on the Southern non gangways EMUs but there might be more commonality.

If the 2019 poll is looked at, then the Class 313/314/315 & 507/508 came 3rd with Class 357/375/377/379/387 8th. Both got a not insignificant number of votes (248 and 194 respectively).

I would certainly be interested in the former.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

My only fear, is Electrostar looks quite similar to Turbostar...you can convert 357 from class 170 very easily... and Bachmann is redoing the Turbostar.

As long as that spectre hangs, even if it might a decade away from release, its a risk... that said that hasnt stopped classes 08,24,25,37,45,47,57,66, mk1,mk2f, LN / Manor/43xx /121 being duplicated away from Bachmann in recent years, and land grabs on 24/25/78xxx/122 which were close proximity..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

My only fear, is Electrostar looks quite similar to Turbostar...you can convert 357 from class 170 very easily... and Bachmann is redoing the Turbostar.

As long as that spectre hangs, even if it might a decade away from release, its a risk... that said that hasnt stopped classes 08,24,25,37,45,47,57,66, mk1,mk2f, LN / Manor/43xx /121 being duplicated away from Bachmann in recent years, and land grabs on 24/25/78xxx/122 which were close proximity..

Are they still doing the turbostar?  I thought it was deferred . This is an absolute pain as its driving the cost of them up on eBay , particularly Scotrail Saltire ones .   Trouble is its hanging over everyone else that  other manufacturers reluctant to introduce one . I think Accurascale would score here though . They are clearly building up a following  and chances are it would be less expensive than Bachmann because Accurascale use a direct business model . I'd love to see one .

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Legend said:

Are they still doing the turbostar?  I thought it was deferred . This is an absolute pain as its driving the cost of them up on eBay , particularly Scotrail Saltire ones .   Trouble is its hanging over everyone else that  other manufacturers reluctant to introduce one . I think Accurascale would score here though . They are clearly building up a following  and chances are it would be less expensive than Bachmann because Accurascale use a direct business model . I'd love to see one .

35-560 class 168/3 Chiltern
35-580 class 171 Southern
35-625 class 170 Cross Country

35-626 class 170 Scotrail

announced Jan 2018 as a new tooling, Jan 2020 they said ..

Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such a time that the models are ready for release.'

I translate this into “Top Secret”, but until then we have to wait for “Middle Secret” and “Bottom Secret” to be released first.

in Bachmann speak, that was announced barely after Breakfast, but who knows when it will be dinner time, or if I can afford it.

I threw in my cards and folded immediately, just bought the old tooling Scotrail, XC and Southern versions, I can enjoy them before my child becomes an adult and let inflation and price rises preserve their value. Should Electrostar emerge, I dont need to think selling my soul twice, for Turbostars too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2020 at 09:28, Rockalaucher101 said:

At risk of turning this into a wishlist, what classes either steam, diesel or electric would you like to see them have a crack at?

Why does everything have top turn into a Wishlist! Its not as though Paul comes with a load of factory production slots or blueprints does is it. Anything new will take several months, if not years to emerge into the open and RMweb is full of pre-existing wish lists which I'm sure Acurascale have read and taken note of.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Why does everything have top turn into a Wishlist! Its not as though Paul comes with a load of factory production slots or blueprints does is it. Anything new will take several months, if not years to emerge into the open and RMweb is full of pre-existing wish lists which I'm sure Acurascale have read and taken note of.

Wish is Hope.

in these uncertain times are you saying people should give up hope ?

The day wish lists disappear, the hobby is lost.

They are harmless enough, everyone practising this hobby has a wishlist, when they dont.. they give up, sell up and walk away as they no longer care.

So wishlists are a sign of positivity in the hobby, whilst some think they are tedious, their presence is a litmus test for the hobbies health.

it might be an interesting stat for the poll team, to count the total number of votes, for all items, by category, going back years and see the sum of votes by category as an overall indicator of interest group size and hobby size. The trend over years might be revealing, both in numbers of people and numbers of votes by category.

Certainly the levels of hope in Accurascale, by some categories of the hobby is an equal measure of loss of hope in other manufacturers.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

Alright, so whilst not wishlisting or trying to drag this topic further from its origins, and as much as I'm with some of the others in this thread as I'd like to see an Electrostar produced too, there are quite a few variations to a theme which I can see being a turn off to the manufacturers. So, correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, but...

Do you go for the original Class 375 & 377, which initially replaced the slamdoor stock and come in 3 & 4 coach variants? Only 4 liveries from what I can see: original South Eastern (ex-Connex style); SouthEastern Blue, FCC & Southern. Even with them, there's variations as the first batch of units had seperate head, marker & tail lights while the batches that followed have them as an incorporated 2 lens type. Different front couplings between the Southern & South Eastern units as well I beleive, plus some are dual-voltage so require fitting a pantograph.

Or, do you go for later and final build of units before Bombardier switched to the Aventras? Different bodies to the above, as they no longer have ribbon glazing but seperate windows in frames. Potentially gives a greater spread of liveries and operating area though, as it then means you can do Class 377; Class 379 & Class 387. There's now 7 liveries to choose from: Southern (377/6 & 377/7 - all are 5-coaches); GWR; Great Northern, Greater Anglia; C2C; Gatwick Express and the upcoming Heathrow Express (all are 4-coaches). Think all this lot are all dual voltage?

You've then got the Overground Class 387 which is different again. Recessed sliding doors rather than flush plug doors, and individual glazing units again. Totally different cab fronts and the bogies have no yaw dampers. Only one livery and limited sphere of operations as well.

The Class 357 looks to be a 25Kv version of the original build Class 375/377, but has Turbostar cab fronts and only runs on one line.

And to round it off there's the Class 376, which is different again by having recessed sliding doors and seperate glazing which is, of course, a different style to the others as they're a hopper type rather than fully sealed. Plus, the cab fronts are a flush version of the standard Class 375/377 front, there's only one livery, they're all 5 coaches and there's a limited sphere of operation.

If there is a unit which should be given some serious consideration IMO, it's the Class 319. While there are variations, and 5 subclasses (319/0; 319/1; 319/2; 319/3 & 319/4), they are mainly to do with changes to seating layout to suit their intended services and mechanical & electrical mods I beleive. Two major difference I can see are the Class 319/2's, which gained a disabled toilet (can't see any external differences after a brief Flickr browse) and that there's a mix of Stone Faivley & Brecknell Willis pantographs. There's a decent amount of liveries to choose from (at least 15 IIRC?), and they cover the popular NSE period being a late-80's unit. Decent spread across the country and at home on a 3rd rail or 25Kv layout. It also then opens up doing the Class 769, giving more liveries, an even greater spread of operations and a valid reason to run an EMU on a layout with no juice rails or knitting! Differences over a Class 319 from what I can see are the WIPAC's changed for 2 spot LED's, new underframes and exhaust pipes on the driving trailers.

The underframes and running gear of the Class 319 also gives the ability to do Classes 317; 318; 320; 321; 322 & 325 from what I can see.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.

Andy.

*cough* Do a Class 442 *cough*

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As both Accurascale and Paul have in the past shown themselves to be not only unencumbered by wishlistitus but very capable of producing original ideas plus of course they did their own survey I doubt if they need too much 'help' thinking about what to tackle next.  I'm sure we can continue to rely on them - now with Paul helpfully onboard - to come up with some great models.  

P.S.  They do know already exactly what I'm after but they need to make sure it has the original pattern doors - they know that too so this is just in the spirit  of a gentle reminder chaps ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

The naughty part of my character suggests that the new team member might produce an illustrated and stimulating  fortnightly bulletin styled 'The Traction Maintenance Depot'.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 16:42, Accurascale Fran said:

...We're still trying to work out which rival company he/she works for... 

Or possibly owned? No names, no pack drill...

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Its not as though Paul comes with a load of factory production slots or blueprints does is it.

You’d be surprised at what drawings I’ve picked up here and there at places I’ve visited and at various auction sites....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Islesy said:

You’d be surprised at what drawings I’ve picked up here and there at places I’ve visited and at various auction sites....

You won't be surprised at what drawings I might have access to at very reasonable prices. ;)  Happy to send you a list of said drawings, a very long list. :rolleyes:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 15/09/2020 at 09:48, peterfgf said:

My vote is the Prestwin twin silo cement wagon:  Hornby did it;  Airfix had a kit; Bachmann abandoned it.  The previous history surely demonstrates a demand and that it worthwhile bringing to market.  I would buy a train load.

Peterfgf

With the added bonus too, that with Accurascale - each would have its own separate running number and individual livery differences!

Best Wishes,

C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Wish is Hope.

in these uncertain times are you saying people should give up hope ?

The day wish lists disappear, the hobby is lost.

They are harmless enough, everyone practising this hobby has a wishlist, when they dont.. they give up, sell up and walk away as they no longer care.

Wish listing is fine in the right place! - There are several other threads (including one from Acurascale specifically asking for suggestions IIRC)  where folk can express there desires as to what they would like to see produced in future. Alternatively why not start a separate thread rather than clogging up this one - which is more about wishing Paul well in his new role.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Islesy said:

I was thinking more of model designs in CAD form ready to go *those which you have worked on previously remaining the intellectual property of Hornby).

Even if you do have lots of source material (as useful as it is) its going to take a while to produce new models from them.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

I was thinking more of model designs in CAD form ready to go *those which you have worked on previously remaining the intellectual property of Hornby).

Even if you do have lots of source material (as useful as it is) its going to take a while to produce new models from them.

:offtopic:

just a reminder, as your preaching it.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

It's just occurred to me that Islesy had to write a blog every month in order to generate all this  interest from a single post when he was at Hornby.  Have his powers, i.e. just mentioning his name,  been increased by the receipt of some of that very dark, highly refined, Liffey water (plus secret ingredients) being sent to him as some sort of Accurascale induction pack?

(Well it makes a change from wishlists)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2020 at 15:09, The Stationmaster said:

You won't be surprised at what drawings I might have access to at very reasonable prices. ;)  Happy to send you a list of said drawings, a very long list. :rolleyes:

Surely it must be a short list as all G*R stuff looks the same.........................................

:tease:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3