Livery sample of D Class 4-4-0 No. 737

Guest Locomotion No. 3

Guest Locomotion No. 3

D Class Livery Samples Received

We are happy to announce the livery samples for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway D Class 4-4-0 locomotives have now been received from Dapol.

Seven different versions have been produced by the partnership of Dapol, Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield. For details of other versions please see the thread under Rails of Sheffield.

The Locomotion Models locomotive features the preserved example No. 737 which is currently on display at the National Railway Museum, York. This locomotive has been produced exclusively for Locomotion Models, which is part of the National Railway Museum. 

All versions have a NEXT 18 decoder socket fitted which can be accessed by removing the smokebox door to fit the decoder. Information relating to DCC FITTED and DCC SOUND options will be released in due course.

The tooling suite encompasses alternative options depending on which locomotive is modelled.

Other options including a plug-in panel which fits into the NEM coupling pocket. This is in the accessory pack, for those who do not want to fit a front coupling, along with the cab doors. The coal load for the tender is removable to reveal a fully detailed tender interior.

Minor livery alterations have been identified during the evaluation process. These will be carried out by the factory before moving into the production stage with delivery expected in 2021.

Prices have yet to be set and will be dependent on the exchange rate at the time of shipping.

SECR No. 737 (NRM).jpg

So elegant.

Always loved seeing the prototype and will be delighted to have the model.

A real stunner - will look wonderful running with the Dark Lake Birdcages.

Cannot wait - thank you for producing this lovely model!

There will be quite a stable of SECR RTR now.

Surprised that no RTR 'Dancehall' brake has emerged as yet, bet they would be popular?

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 06:12, Opelsi said:

Surprised that no RTR 'Dancehall' brake has emerged as yet, bet they would be popular?

I think more learned contributors than I to this forum have covered this sub topic. 'Dance hall' vans  though of SECR design, only appeared after grouping with the possible exception of a prototype. There are several SR brake vans e.g. Pillbox, Queen Mary, Warner and (soon) Road vans, as well as the elderly LBSC van available, that I doubt the RTR market needs another SR van for what was predominantly a passenger railway. Happy to be proved wrong though. Agree the D looks fantastic and amply justifies investment in dark lake birdcages!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A significant % of RMweb is taken up with wishlisting. However many excellent products are on offer, they never satisfy everyone. Cambrian make a kit for a dancehall brake. Their kits are within even my meagre capability, but RTR is a world of its own, in which impatience is a keyword. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3

Thank you for yours and others observations regarding the SE&CR liveried locomotives No’s 737 (Locomotion) and 488 (Rails).

The factory have advised us that it is impossible for them to accurately line the top surface of the splashers. Due to the shape of the splasher it would need to be printed in a number of passes. Because of this there would be a detectable overlap/slight misalignment in the lining at the joins. We therefore decided at the review meeting that this would have to be omitted.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderators

D Class Production Samples Received

Examples of all seven versions of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway D Class 4-4-0 from the Dapol production line have been received by Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield. These have now completed extensive running trials and final checking. Following approval, shipping from the factory can now commence.

The preserved example No. 737 is currently on display at the National Railway Museum, York. This locomotive has been produced exclusively for Locomotion Models, which is part of the National Railway Museum. The other six models have been commissioned by Rails of Sheffield and will also be available direct from Dapol.

The models are currently available to pre-order as follows:

From Locomotion Models (www.locomotionmodels.com)

South Eastern & Chatham Railway No. 737 NRM as Preserved in full livery for £199.99

737 image 1.jpg

06e8cac3-0b86-4573-a237-91426a5c394f.jpg

4ac4f008-7d77-446c-8f2f-57c820ce12e9.jpg

e9308636-2810-485b-81eb-0b0099006a3c.jpg

Link to pre-order - http://www.locomotionmodels.com/coming-soon/secr-d-class-no737.htm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Excellent.

Now, which 1 / 2 / more companies will produce "generic" short bogie coaches suitable for being hauled by this lovely loco in SECR livery ?

No need for any generic bogie coaches to go with it.  While not necessarily absolutely correct for the engine in this condition there are already Bachmann Birdcage coaches in SE&CR livery.  And (honest) I already have a short set of them waiting oir it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

This preserved loco got a full Ashford overhaul in 1959 and has been in full Wainwright SECR livery since 1960.

You could get away running her in a 60s setting under rule number 1. I'm planning on her doing Bluebell trips (never happened yet but it is not in the realms of science fiction).

Coach stock, I have 2 sets of lined SECR birdcages waiting, 1 set of SECR Wellington birdcages waiting, then 16 Hattons generics coming later in the year. The 60ft sets are a tad late for full Wainwright livery locos but they are better than generic bogie coaches IMHO.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine arrived without a dispatch or delivery email being received so it was a nice surprise when it turned up at work!

Initial thoughts are it's a stunning model and almost instantly noticed the fresh air all the way though the chassis around the representation of the inside motion.

Should also say its fitted with traction tyres as standard but a standard set are included. 

IMG_20210615_105949.jpg.ac595289c8ca3b31655c2fe5f7932e9c.jpg

IMG_20210615_110013.jpg.cb706640b247e36af18f1cf6c8c1b3e6.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Received mine this morning just looking over it looks nice and in one piece... 

Didn't get a dispatch note at all so was a suprise it turned up while I was out. 

No dispatch note here either so a nice surprise. Still looking a it passes time during the quiet day I'm having at work. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes mine arrived too today. It's an absolute beauty, congratulations to Locomotion, Dapol and Rails for producing such a wonderful model.  It deserves to sell well and hope it brings some much needed cash into the NRM.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My sound fitted one arrived the day after I left to go on a family (wife+kids) holiday for 3 weeks! (typical sod's law).

Suffice to say i had an e-mail from UPS telling me it was comng and arranged for the in-laws to be there to collect it (would have asked my mistress but.... oops what am I saying?) .

When I got back, and after sorting out all the holiday things (laundry etc..), I managed to find a little time to test it. Sounds worked fine, running forwards fine, but no running backwards (only sounds).  Forntunately the chip is easy to reach behind the smokebox door. Tried the chip in another D class (I have 3 rails versions) and same result.

Contacted DCC supplies (service agent in the booklet) and had the chip sent to them (no point risking the entire loco which was fine). Very fast turn around, they found the same issue and sent a new sound chip. Fitted it into the loco and it now works fine. 

Edited by JSpencer

13 hours ago, JSpencer said:

My sound fitted one arrived the day after I left to go on a family (wife+kids) holiday for 3 weeks! (typical sod's law).

Suffice to say i had an e-mail from UPS telling me it was comng and arranged for the in-laws to be there to collect it (would have asked my mistress but.... oops what am I saying?) .

When I got back, and after sorting out all the holiday things (laundry etc..), I managed to find a little time to test it. Sounds worked fine, running forwards fine, but no running backwards (only sounds).  Forntunately the chip is easy to reach behind the smokebox door. Tried the chip in another D class (I have 3 rails versions) and same result.

Contacted DCC supplies (service agent in the booklet) and had the chip sent to them (no point risking the entire loco which was fine). Very fast turn around, they found the same issue and sent a new sound chip. Fitted it into the loco and it now works fine. 

I’m glad it was sorted out for you. How on earth do you manage to support a mistress and model railways? :O

• Funny 2