Ian Allan Model Shop at Waterloo to close

andyman7

21 hours ago, animotion said:

Read the sad news in the Sunday Times today which seems to be another nail in the coffin for small shops that have anything to do with our hobby. Another great transport  book shop nearby was Motor Books in Cecil Court that also seems to have closed. That isn't me by the way.

Motor Books.jpg

No. That's Jay Leno!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, animotion said:

Read the sad news in the Sunday Times today which seems to be another nail in the coffin for small shops that have anything to do with our hobby. Another great transport  book shop nearby was Motor Books in Cecil Court that also seems to have closed. That isn't me by the way.

Some time ago:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75852-motor-books-cecil-court-london/

Mention of Motor Books reminds me of the time I was in their basement at lunch time and surprised the staff member who returned from lunch and found me down there.

He had locked up and thought the shop was empty. I of course was oblivious!!

Didn't get a free book though.......

Gerry

• Funny 2

• 9 months later...

Hello all - I am the new owner of what was Ian Allan in Waterloo. We open soon but it is a very different business and after a complete fit out completely unrecognisable. I managed to save a lot of the green section signs - the ones above the book cabinets if anyone would want some as a souvenir? I will keep a few for our staff room, but the rest need to go. There is no cost as I'd like them to go to a good home after the shop was there so long, and it was a great shop and I was also very sad to see it go. So, these are free to collect (by appointment) from Waterloo or I can post but you'll need to pay the postage. They are light but big! If you want more details just reply in here. I hope they find a happy train loving home!! :)InkedIMG_4859_LI.jpg.52de7fca5ce70ab144248c00ed1b2940.jpgInkedIMG_4846_LI.jpg.1a67010487d3117e4dd695a2cebe9906.jpg

6C5CBCEE-8E37-4B9C-95B6-64570B7BB529.JPG

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Phil500 said:

Hello all - I am the new owner of what was Ian Allan in Waterloo. We open soon but it is a very different business and after a complete fit out completely unrecognisable. I managed to save a lot of the green section signs - the ones above the book cabinets if anyone would want some as a souvenir? I will keep a few for our staff room, but the rest need to go. There is no cost as I'd like them to go to a good home after the shop was there so long, and it was a great shop and I was also very sad to see it go. So, these are free to collect (by appointment) from Waterloo or I can post but you'll need to pay the postage. They are light but big! If you want more details just reply in here. I hope they find a happy train loving home!! :)InkedIMG_4859_LI.jpg.52de7fca5ce70ab144248c00ed1b2940.jpgInkedIMG_4846_LI.jpg.1a67010487d3117e4dd695a2cebe9906.jpg

6C5CBCEE-8E37-4B9C-95B6-64570B7BB529.JPG

Good luck. 

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil500 said:

Hello all - I am the new owner of what was Ian Allan in Waterloo. We open soon but it is a very different business and after a complete fit out completely unrecognisable. 

By "very different business" do you mean it will no longer be a transport-themed bookshop?

3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

By "very different business" do you mean it will no longer be a transport-themed bookshop?

Hah, yes. It won’t be. It’s actually a dental surgery now…. well soon. We have one on the same street for some years and we needed to expand but had no room so we have occupied Ian Allan 

• Like 7

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Phil500 said:

Hah, yes. It won’t be. It’s actually a dental surgery now…. well soon. We have one on the same street for some years and we needed to expand but had no room so we have occupied Ian Allan 

Good luck with the work and thank you for offering something to the hobby community.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, Phil500 said:

I was expecting it to become a nail parlour or hair stylist, as those seem to be the only retail businesses that know no limits, at least judging by the proliferation of them where I live. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Phil500 said:

Perhaps you could put a model of the HST in Intercity/Aquafresh toothpaste livery in the window.

Penzance._-_geograph.org.uk_-_102199.jpg

Seriously though as others have said a very kind offer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2021 at 21:36, flapland said:

Perhaps you could put a model of the HST in Intercity/Aquafresh toothpaste livery in the window.

Joking aside, I'd imagine that a model of the Blue Pullman clone might be more likely. It's got a Crest.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll soon find out, when they "open wide" for business.

In all fairness, some jokes on this theme were probably inevitable.

I can remember when I was at school, one local dentist even had a newspaper cartoon prominently displayed in his office - in which a sadistic looking "practitioner" gleefully informs a patient: "In my spare time, I shoe horses.'

My late mother thought this was hilarious. Strangely enough, I took a slightly different view. It would be fair to say that this line in humour did little to ease my fear of dentists.

Whatever the score, I've been around long enough to know the drill:

"Hat ... coat ... ."

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I can even remember when I was at school, one local dentist even had a newspaper cartoon prominently displayed in his office - in which a sadistic looking "practitioner" gleefully informs a patient: "In my spare time, I shoe horses.'

I would have preferred even that to my old school clinic dentist. His first job after qualifying was with the Army Medical Corps in Normandy in 1944. Anaesthesia wasn't his strong subject.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I would have preferred even that to my old school clinic dentist. His first job after qualifying was with the Army Medical Corps in Normandy in 1944. Anaesthesia wasn't his strong subject.

I thought all school dentists were trained by the SS. Certainly dished out the punishment. :yes:

If that was what all dentists were like we would all by walking around with rotting teeth..............:(

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, flapland said:

Penzance._-_geograph.org.uk_-_102199.jpg

Seriously though as others have said a very kind offer. 

Penzance if I'm not mistaken!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

43BAC102-94D1-41BE-9223-9AA3A3B5580D.jpeg.8e40c8afa1f772a1e348801cd0cafc3c.jpegWith many thanks to @Phil500 some of the signage has a new home. A very kind gesture to save them and much appreciated, rather than binning this small part of the hobbies history. Doing what it says on the tin, behind the sliding door is where the magic happens 

0BB6EB18-0481-45A7-B834-7E3C9E423539.jpeg.e3632a3aaf400b8ecc7d454d6a84b8fd.jpeg

FCCDA7B4-8D48-4589-A10D-0BE44D89CD87.jpeg.fde92391a82cf874c682cb6fb8565f16.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see these preserved, a very nice gesture by all involved. During the days when I came to London more regularly, I always tried to find time for a visit to the Waterloo shop.

I remember the signs quite well. I was less broadminded then, and used to inwardly scowl at the non-railway signs :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1