Torpedo/Slag Wagons

JC

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Railtour stock with a difference! 

I suppose you could get people into the boxes at each end.  I don't see it going down well with HMRI though.

Could be very warm! Just passing these on the Scunny tour the heat pours off of them - mind the brake van trip we did in June it was so cold that the heat was very welcome. 

The Ravenscraig ones only had 4 axles at each end, so assume only 200t https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ravenscraigwagon  and a different design https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ravenscraigwagon/e3408a70a

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This contributor to the photo-sharing site I use has a vast number of brilliant photos of heavy industry, both in this country and abroad, notably China. This is one relevant shot, but I am sure there will be many more in the 'metal industries' album and in other albums. ipernity has many superb photographers, including a number with an interest in railways.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/302581/22425785/in/album/408847

and this dramatic one

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/302581/21125987/in/album/408847

Edited by phil_sutters

1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

There is Belgian Modeller that produces 3D printed versions of these wagons (in HO scale), not sure if these are of any use :

1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

There is Belgian Modeller that produces 3D printed versions of these wagons (in HO scale), not sure if these are of any use :

SNCB 5175 Chertal 6 13,9,03

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Do you have a link for these Neil? 

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

14 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

This site has been a ‘go-to’ for steelwork modellers for quite some time - Click here

My iPad automatically translates to English

Cheers and Stay Safe

Excellent thanks pal haven't seen that before........I actually speak German but not technical steel German :lol:....may have to see if I can learn some new words.

15 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Depending on how long you've got this is an excellent read / look at the pictures:

https://forum.modelspoormagazine.be/index.php/topic,22026.0.html

186 pages about the Liege Steel Industry (in Belgium) and the layout that is being built.

Thanks,

Neil

hehe thanks will take a good look. See you in about 10 years!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Do you think we could persuade Accurascale to do a twin pack along the lines of  their multi bogied flask carrier!

That would be a very good idea :D. Problem is, I presume, the market for a mainline wagon is viable for them, whereas the market for an industrial site specific wagon is probably not. 

But it definitely needs someone to produce a decent-sized OO gauge torpedo that is VFM. I just had the Walther's HO torpedo wagons delivered which I'd had on back order and they are tiny so they're going back. Way smaller than the Lima ones.

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Around £360 ish actually, which I thought wasn't a bad price for the work which has gone into it, and no one is likely to need a rake of 30!

Mike.

Yeah wasn't sure what the ex rate was atm.

Oh right, someone's scratchbuilt that as a one off? Then that might be the price he wants for the work he's put into it, but I'm afraid my pockets aren't deep enough to spend that on one wagon - locos are expensive enough. I guess it's what someone's prepared to pay that's the issue and it would make a good centrepiece to a layout.

2 hours ago, JC said:

But it definitely needs someone to produce a decent-sized OO gauge torpedo that is VFM. I just had the Walther's HO torpedo wagons delivered which I'd had on back order and they are tiny so they're going back. Way smaller than the Lima ones.

The Walthers ones are similar to the Ravenscraig ones and I fee that a lite extension on the torpedo would help make them look more convincing! 

For main line use there was the ones that worked from Teesside to Consett!

Trix do this version very similar to the Dissington torpedo that is occasionally available via Guagemaster that are run out on my Shenston road complete with an ex LMS brake van chassis spacer wagon modeled from pics Mark Saunders kindly sent me.

IMG_20200806_140740131.jpg

Edited by D1047
Spelling
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Did you ever imagine that one day the hobby would be enriched with a ready to run 4mm scale model of a Distington Torpedo wagon? For all those in the process of scratchbuilding one........Yah, boo sucks, you ought to have known better. 

kr models.jpg

41 minutes ago, Cokebreeze said:

Did you ever imagine that one day the hobby would be enriched with a ready to run 4mm scale model of a Distington Torpedo wagon? For all those in the process of scratchbuilding one........Yah, boo sucks, you ought to have known better. 

kr models.jpg

That's £40 for a pair of DCC accessory decoders and motors/servos, which seems pretty good value, and the price is the same as the A/S KUA nuclear wagons were a little while back.  Pretty good price given the way inflation is going.  I like their choice of prototype, but this one is far too niche for me.   I can't see many people using rule 1 to justify running them up the traditional GWR single line branch terminus either, or banking it up Beattock.  You can't exactly unload it in a cattle dock siding.

Edited by Michael Hodgson