2 mini panels or something else?

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

My colleague's O gauge DCC layout extends around his garden.

Routes are set via push buttons connected to an NCE mini-panel connected to the accessory bus. The push buttons and mini panel are contained within an enclosure that is plugged into the accessory bus when the layout is being used.

We've recently re-arranged the track work and find we now have too many routes on part of the layout for a single mini-panel.

We've recently discovered that macros can cut down the amount of data that the mini panel needs to process per input but even that facility can't solve our problem.

Is there any other method that we could use other than adding a second mini-panel?

Possibly break down routes into smaller sizes and it becomes two buttons for a particular route.  Depending on numbers that might release a few buttons.  

Only have the key routes on the Mini-panel, and have the others only available via the routes button on the handsets.  

Or add another Mini-panel.   Can add Mini-panels subject to the maximum number of throttles on the NCE system in question.  Each Mini-panel has to be given a unique Cab-number, and counts the same as a physical throttle.  Can't have lots of throttles on a PowerCab (six? ten ?), but its 64 on a full Power-Pro system. 

Pedantically, the Mini-panel plugs into the NCE "Cab Bus", which is the cabling for throttles.   An "Accessory Bus" is a different thing, carries DCC signals and has accessory decoders attached to it.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Pedantically, the Mini-panel plugs into the NCE "Cab Bus", which is the cabling for throttles.   An "Accessory Bus" is a different thing, carries DCC signals and has accessory decoders attached to it.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel & Ray

Whoops, my mistake in the terminology. The mini panel does indeed connect into the cab bus.

We will be using the macros as well to reduce the number of inputs required. There are 40 possible routes. Part of the problem is that each push button not only selects a route through up to six points but also restores signals in the opposite direction to danger before setting the required route & clearing the signal applicable to that route. Fortunately, there will only be proceed and danger signal aspects on each signal as the signaller is also the driver so knows what route the signal applies to (or should do!).

I reckon I can restore the opposing direction signals to danger using a macro and I can also set the common parts of the routes using macros but there isn't enough scope with only four actions per mini-panel input and that gets knocked down to three for each Link command.

The mini-panel is an excellent piece of kit, it just needs to have a bigger brother/sister with more inputs and more than 4 actions per input.

Luckily we only have three/four throttles on the layout so three mini-panels - there's one at another "station" - shouldn't cause any problems.

There are other approaches which depend on "the right accessory decoder".   There are some accessory decoders which are quite smart, and can be set to respond to multiple different commands.  So, a single address might be "set signals to stop" and all could respond.   But doesn't help if you've not got a device which does that.  

A final option, but will cost a little more money than another MiniPanel and possibly more time.  RaspberryPI plus appropriate interface to NCE system (if its a Power-Pro, then just need a USB-serial adaptor).   The PI can optionally take direct push button inputs on its GPIO pins.  The PI could run JMRI and then do extremely complex macros/routes in response to a single button on either the MiniPanel, or the PI's GPIO pins.   (At its simplest, program the MiniPanel buttons to trigger a "fictional" turnout address, and then have the PI respond to that fictional turnout and execute the appropriate route containing signals and turnouts,   ) .   

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, arff999 said:

Hi Ray 

What is the NCE system you are using, Please.

John. 

The system is an SB5 with a few throttles.

The control console will be at the end of the garden. The mini-panel makes it more or less self contained with no use of computers, tablets or phones. which seems to rule out Nigel's second suggestion although thank you for making it.

I had increased my macro slots by using a free downloaded PC program and used this as it has multiple commands.

I used one virtual button on my PC to operate over 60 turnouts as a startup test.

And i also have about 40 plus routes set on to individual buttons some of these include Signals as well as the turn outs.