Hornby accessory decoders, do they go kaput?

Marcoblanco

I have some odd behaviour from my Hornby accessory decoders, controlling pl11 point motors. Only two outlets are working correctly. I have tried reset, cv8 to 8. But comes up error on the dynamis. Having tried everything (and they worked fine on my previous layout a couple of moths back.) Do these decoders fail?  I've not experienced any of this before and have used dcc for many years. 

Try the reset a few times. Decoders can often be hard of hearing I find and one has to repeat the instructions.

Also give the Dynamis time to do its thing step by step. Some controllers say on screen they are done but are actually still doing stuff.

You may also like to try programming in Reg mode, but there is a very limited range of registers to play with.

A known fault with R8247s is they can suffer from a controller induced flutter in that the unit gets into a state whereby it works as normal until port 1 is selected whereupon it enters a flutter mode that continually depletes the capacitors. Thereafter none of the ports work until reset. Leaving the unit powered up in this unstable state can cause permanent damage.

thanks for the input RAF , im sure the info will benefit others and me. it seems the fault may have been caused by my programming track rail just slightly touching the main track which is on the drop down section so hasnt got isolating joiners. [arggghhhhh]

Latterly ive connected another spare decoder to get my points working . so my faith in the R8247s is restored!

You are fortunate that inadvertently cross connecting the Prog to Main didn’t blow the programming side of your controller.

I did that to an Elite many years ago by connecting the Boost (which shares the Prog circuitry) to the Main (didn’t read the imstructions or understand the implications way back then).

We live and learn.