Please recommend a kit.

swiftbeam

Hi,

I have a high level of skill, a history of high end model making and a very good range of tools, but suffering from a huge dose of  lethargy at the moment. 

I fancy making a brass GWR steam loco kit but it must be fairly easy to build and fit together very well. I really can't be bothered to start running into kit design problems and having to remodel my way out of them. 

I'd like to simply sit at my bench and make up a high quality kit that builds well and look nice when finished.

I'm looking to model a 7mm layout in a GWR modern preserved setting, so a nice GWR loco would be great, 61xx many be  ;-)

I already have a Minerva 8750, so something different other than a pannier tank.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Hello Swiftbeam and welcome to the forums.

These days I buy RTR models as you know there are some excellent models out there.

Somebody who has a good range of kits Is Connoiseur Models [http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiHg_2ejt_rAhUJ4YUKHSCIAsEQFjAAegQIARAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jimmcgeown.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0GmpNFoctWYOQHDCVPx1y8]

They are mainly LNER but if your main aim is for a good fitting brass kit then look no further.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Does anybody have an opinion on the Finney GWR 51xx?

What would be the advantages of buying this kit over the RTR Heljan 61xx?

Thanks.

The satisfaction of having completed a very complex kit where there is no room for sloppy workmanship. The question is, are your skills up to it? A model built from a  Finney kit will probably have a greater long term value but could be a very expensive learning journey. One day I will pluck up the courage to buy a Finney ,,A4.!!

• RMweb Gold

18 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Can anybody offer me any info on the GWR Springside Models 45xx in 0 gauge?

If you'd rather, PM me :-)

I'd like to see some pics of the finished model.

Many thanks,

Yep !

Built this Springside version back in 2009.

Needs skill with soldering white metal, but is a complete kit with wheels and motor. makes a very very heavy model.f

Disadvantage, is that the cylinder block slide bars, piston rod  and connecting rod are all white metal so is very vulnerable to  distortion and damage.

Cast details are excellent quality but my body side tanks needed rough surfaces filling to get a fine finish.

619827680_N97PICS036.jpg.916e5f94973c72e5b39c7bbf57577d07.jpg

1358636759_cameracatchup158.JPG.c254de6363bbcc0b05230223cb949051.JPG

1358612849_cameracatchup157.JPG.48beceebbf431292cf5d10ff6a0ad89e.JPG

for comparison....an etched brass Warren Shepard kit build.

DSC05812.JPG.57c144506eb918515715227f7d426699.JPG

DSC05809.JPG.12b575e2d83a4f0af54855adbc62862d.JPG

DSC05794.JPG.72554a65dcd50f4ae6974ce632aa9d19.JPG

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Rosspop, I see you have their Pug, how did you find that model?

One of the best kits I`ve ever made. Mine was the original Sevenscal version and I understand that Springside supply a much better quality motor and gearbox.

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Wow, that is very impressive!

what sound project is it fitted with. 

I know I started this thread asking about GWR, but I like Pugs :-)

She has a Zimo MX645 decoder with Digitrains 0-4-0 sound file

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ROSSPOP said:

One of the best kits I`ve ever made. Mine was the original Sevenscal version and I understand that Springside supply a much better quality motor and gearbox.

And this is where it all started forty years ago, Christmas 1980. Sadly it never was quite finished ( the inside valve gear is still in the box) but it had a hard and happy life and now needs a full rebuild with probably new wheels. One day........

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Gold

Sadly , for me this is where my journey into LMS modelling ended early 2019. My Daschund broke her back and needed £5000 of surgery so I sold all three of my kit built black locos to help pay the bill.

Minnie was on complete bed rest for 6weeks and doped up with Gabapentin ( an  anti-epileptic drug for you and me)

DSC04752.JPG.ce8661d4cac10549a561ecf60b456376.JPG

not spoilt  at all...........

The best news is she made a full recovery and I have since built three GWR loco kits to make up for their loss.....

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have had the good fortune to know some to very skilled loco builders. One of them advised me that Finney kits were excellent but did comment sometimes he provides clever etching needed to make up some detail when a decent casting would be easier but the parts do all fit. I like Malcom Mitchels kits they were good  true there was a bit of simplification as Steve found out when Pete W. presented him with a Castle kit and some castings from  Tony Renaulds. Malcom had just cast the bits of the water scoop that would be seen Tony had cast the whole thing.  

On the other hand I bought a Majestic models kit of a GWR dock tank from Jim Harris masters probably a bit worn by then which Steve put together for me. Someone later commented in was very different to his  model from the kit. Stev confessed that he had pulled cast pieces out of the box looked at them before dumping them in the bin and cutting up a bit of brass or NS.

Don 

On 16/09/2020 at 09:11, doilum said:

And this is where it all started forty years ago, Christmas 1980. Sadly it never was quite finished ( the inside valve gear is still in the box) but it had a hard and happy life and now needs a full rebuild with probably new wheels. One day........

I should also have mentioned the instructions. They won a Design Council award and are the best I have ever seen. Some years ago a manufacturer of budget loco kits told me that he would have to put £20 on the price of each kit to have instructions of that standard.

The kit wasn't cheap at just shy of ,£100, well over a week's wage at the time but the quality would match most current kits.