Greenwood Model Products 65ft GWR Turntable

Stephen Freeman

Still nobody? There are some parts that I don't understand, with no instructions I cannot even tell that I have all the parts. I may have to alter things to actually make it function at all.

I asked for instructions some time ago- request ignored. I don't think there will be a repeat purchase from me.

I have now nearly finished the build. I can surmise that the access laddering is missing, however having seen the photos on the website, I think I'd rather make my own anyway.

I still have a couple of pieces for which I haven't a clue what to do with and will have to conjure something up regarding the electrical connectivity. The 2 mystery pieces appear to be a jig for the handrails.

I have now ordered up some parts to complete the drive train and hopefully a method for electrical connections to the track.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
addition
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen,

interesting few posts, it’s a shame no one has replied to either your post, or your emails to Greenwood.

Ive been using the Peco turntable for my model of Henley, but am finding too many shortcomings, so have started looking at the Greenwood model. To which end, I fired off an email to them at the weekend! But thought I would search on here to see if my questions have been answered and have found you!

it certainly looks the part and I can see it fitting in much better than say the Heljan and Fleischmann ones.

Can I ask a few questions please?

• What is the kit made of? Is it all laser cut wood?
  • Despite the lack of instructions, do it go together well? Have you run anything onto it yet?
  • Have you gone for the indexing / motorised versions? I couldn’t understand the options on their website.
  • How will you make the pit? And then how will you secure everything under the layout.
  • i note on the metal smiths kit of the same, they offer an option of a pre cut sheet of MDF to make the pit.

Many thanks, Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

I tried calling them yesterday, spoke to the owner Mike, seemed like a nice enough fella.

I too had emailed them, to which he said he hadn't received anything. I suspect there is an issue with the email delivery web to PC. I have since joined the newsletter and confirmed my subscription etc.

In short, he had just produced a batch of 65ft GWR turntables and finished the instructions that will go with them. I suspect when @Stephen Freemanplaced the order for his turntable it was one of the first batch - although I am guessing.

I was confused about the pricing for the motor options, which I now understand:

• Motor with stepper control £150 - needs manual / eyesight alignment.
  • Upgrade to basic motor to add the indexing module is an extra £185 - done at a later date after the basic system is working.
  • OR: Go the whole hog straight away and get the motor and indexing system £335

But in looking at the website, although he said the kits are shown on there - there is no price!

On 28/09/2020 at 07:45, Neal Ball said:

Hi Stephen,

interesting few posts, it’s a shame no one has replied to either your post, or your emails to Greenwood.

Ive been using the Peco turntable for my model of Henley, but am finding too many shortcomings, so have started looking at the Greenwood model. To which end, I fired off an email to them at the weekend! But thought I would search on here to see if my questions have been answered and have found you!

it certainly looks the part and I can see it fitting in much better than say the Heljan and Fleischmann ones.

Can I ask a few questions please?

• What is the kit made of? Is it all laser cut wood?
  • Despite the lack of instructions, do it go together well? Have you run anything onto it yet?
  • Have you gone for the indexing / motorised versions? I couldn’t understand the options on their website.
  • How will you make the pit? And then how will you secure everything under the layout.
  • i note on the metal smiths kit of the same, they offer an option of a pre cut sheet of MDF to make the pit.

Many thanks, Neal.

The kit is all laser cut wood except for rail, chairs and one or two other things which I'll come to. It went together well, the pit is included in the kit. The top base has holes provided for fixing into the layout, you will have to provide suitable framing to support it. The Metalsmiths TTs didn't come with a pit as standard so you either had make your own or buy their  version. Motorisation in this case is by Stepper Motor, I already had the necessary hardware to hand so didn't need the Greenwood version.

Included in the kit were 2 sprung current collection plungers, at least that is what I assume they are but the kit didn't include any metal rings to match up with them. There were some laser cut plywood ones of the correct dimensions but can't imagine how they would work, I am assuming that plywood will not conduct electricity! I sourced some suitable copper rings instead.

The website photos show access ladders but were not in the kit, I used some I had to hand.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @Stephen Freeman

That sounds odd that there was no metal rings to conduct electricity. Meaning the table is always dead - surely that was just an ommission, but without the instructions you wouldn't know!

When I posted this morning, I forgot that I had also posted an enquiry, direct from the product page - No reply there either!

Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks @Stephen Freeman

That sounds odd that there was no metal rings to conduct electricity. Meaning the table is always dead - surely that was just an ommission, but without the instructions you wouldn't know!

When I posted this morning, I forgot that I had also posted an enquiry, direct from the product page - No reply there either!

Thanks again.

Exactly. He did tell me he hadn't written any instructions being too busy but if I had a problem I could ask. I had already finished the build etc.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Exactly. He did tell me he hadn't written any instructions being too busy but if I had a problem I could ask. I had already finished the build etc.

Doesn't really excuse ignoring emails though.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Embedded forms are hopelessly unreliable - on the basis of my experience only about 90% successful.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Are you sure that they are getting to him? E-mail is not reliable as some servers just don't speak to each other.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Embedded forms are hopelessly unreliable - on the basis of my experience only about 90% successful.

If I owned the website, both issues would bother me.

In my previous life, we expected 100% of emails / webforms to be received. Anything less is not acceptable.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

If I owned the website, both issues would bother me.

In my previous life, we expected 100% of emails / webforms to be received. Anything less is not acceptable.

I entirely agree. A lot of business must be lost due to these IT peculiarities and I know that it has caused me real problems over the years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Spain must cone as a bit of a shock then Neal, the communications black hole of Europe!

Mike.

We have fibre cables in our street and our Broadband is better here than when we lived in Brighton!

• 4 months later...
On 14/09/2020 at 10:32, Stephen Freeman said:

Now just have to fit access ladders (not in kit) and am waiting for some parts to arrive (not Greenwood) to complete the installation

greenwoodtt.jpg

I am in the process of trying to order one of these for my new layout.

Out of interest what are the dimensions of the turntable and how big a space do I need to cut out of the baseboard? I've tried looking on the website but I can't see any info. It would be good to know as I can then get the baseboard prepared whilst I am awaiting the kit. 

Any help appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Friffs said:

Out of interest what are the dimensions of the turntable and how big a space do I need to cut out of the baseboard? I've tried looking on the website but I can't see any info. It would be good to know as I can then get the baseboard prepared whilst I am awaiting the kit. 

Any help appreciated.

I would suggest you call Mike. Really helpful guy when you speak to him on the 'phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Friffs said:

Any help appreciated.

There are various different sizes, I have just had a 60' delivered which I need to put together. Instructions are on the website but you need a password form MIke to access it. I'll hopefully crack on with it this week but we'll see, Will have to post progress here. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting to re-read this thread again.... in the light of my turntable having now arrived.

It's a bit of a saga, which I am hoping I don't need to detail here..... 

Having sent emails* last Friday and a chase yesterday (no reply to either), I have just telephoned and have had to leave a message. *Previous emails during the saga have been answered within a few hours....

Interestingly @Stephen Freemanthe instructions I received were dated 2014. Although in fairness this relates to the stepper motor etc.

570899193_RoodAshtonHall26-7-21r.jpg.eadc6e1a2b96711ccb66473f30fe493d.jpg

On the plus side, it's a lovely piece of kit.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a reliable means of contacting Greenwood Models?

I have left several phone messages and sent emails - but have received zero response.

I am a potential purchaser of a not inexpensive kit, but Greenwood Models seems to have no interest in selling it to me!

Soon - it'll be back to adapting an Airfix turntable kit, if I can't make contact.

As a small trader myself, I cannot understand why producers ignore communication.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2