Greenwood Model Products 65ft GWR Turntable

Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Does anyone have a reliable means of contacting Greenwood Models?

I have left several phone messages and sent emails - but have received zero response.

I am a potential purchaser of a not inexpensive kit, but Greenwood Models seems to have no interest in selling it to me!

Soon - it'll be back to adapting an Airfix turntable kit, if I can't make contact.

As a small trader myself, I cannot understand why producers ignore communication.

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

Once you speak to Mike he is a really affable type of chap. 

He routinely doesn’t respond to emails, he has a mailing list option, that also doesn’t get anything either.

If you have a look at my thread, you will see the issues I had with mine.

Starting at page 65 and this from 67: 

I wish Mike well with his business, but as you note John, it’s no way to run a business.

I complained various times to him and he wasn’t interested… said he was embarrassed, but that was it.

The power pack is currently held together with electrical tape.

On the plus side, it certainly looks the part.

3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

........... it’s no way to run a business.

I complained various times to him and he wasn’t interested… said he was embarrassed, but that was it.

Right-ho then - if he can't be bothered to answer e-mails, he can do without my business!

It's back to converting an Airfix kit into an underbeam turntable, I suppose.

Totally unbelieveable !!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Isherwood.

PS. Anyone know of another source of 4mm. scale turntable kits / models - other than Midland Railway Centre and Greenwood Models? Preferably someone who is contactable!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Right-ho then - if he can't be bothered to answer e-mails, he can do without my business!

It's back to converting an Airfix kit into an underbeam turntable, I suppose.

Totally unbelieveable !!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Isherwood.

PS. Anyone know of another source of 4mm. scale turntable kits / models - other than Midland Railway Centre and Greenwood Models? Preferably someone who is contactable!

It's a shame John, but completely understandable.

Once the table is working properly, its a lovely model.

I am about to update the Henley page  this evening with progress from the last week or so. It's looking very good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The 50' turntable kit looks as if it could fit the bill, thank you - I will investigate further!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't have experience with their turntable kits but I've bought a few bits from the over the years without any issue. @Jol Wilkinson knows the proprietor very well I believe.

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The 50' turntable kit looks as if it could fit the bill, thank you - I will investigate further!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is a LRM 50' Cowans Sheldon in situ. A treat to build but I would say follow the instructions; something I rarely do. There is a thread about building one here on the site somewhere.

IMG_2162-crop-crop.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

This is a LRM 50' Cowans Sheldon in situ. A treat to build but I would say follow the instructions; something I rarely do. There is a thread about building one here on the site somewhere.

IMG_2162-crop-crop.jpg

Very nice indeed.

Checking, I find that I really need a 56' or larger turntable for my project - I may still have to resort to Airfix kit hacking.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Very nice indeed.

Checking, I find that I really need a 56' or larger turntable for my project - I mat still have to resort to Airfix kit hacking.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Good luck then

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Very nice indeed.

Checking, I find that I really need a 56' or larger turntable for my project - I may still have to resort to Airfix kit hacking.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Can anyone point me at a drawing of a under-girder turntable, please?

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

I tried yet again to call Greenwood yesterday - without success.  The email I sent a month ago remains unanswered :(

As a comparison I also sent an email yesterday afternoon to John at LRM regarding progress on the LRM 60ft Turntable - it was answered this morning... :clapping:

(The LRM table has been delayed by the lockdown - John has conflicting info on a couple of prototype drawings so wants to confirm which drawing is correct; of course they could both be wrong....so if anyone happens to have the definitive 60ft Turntable drawing I'm sure John would like to hear from you....:smile_mini2:)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I tried yet again to call Greenwood yesterday - without success.  The email I sent a month ago remains unanswered :(

As a comparison I also sent an email yesterday afternoon to John at LRM regarding progress on the LRM 60ft Turntable - it was answered this morning... :clapping:

(The LRM table has been delayed by the lockdown - John has conflicting info on a couple of prototype drawings so wants to confirm which drawing is correct; of course they could both be wrong....so if anyone happens to have the definitive 60ft Turntable drawing I'm sure John would like to hear from you....:smile_mini2:)

Are Greenwood going to be the new Cooper Craft?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The on-going saga with my turntable continues.

In setting aside an afternoon to work my way through the programming of the table, after a couple of hours and repeated programming, it was obvious that it wouldn't programme.

Two telephone calls to Mike, who talked me through a reset (not in the instructions), he concluded that they keypad was inoperative.

It was as if the number keys running through the middle of the unit weren't working: 2; 5; 8 and 0

UPS delivered the unit back to Mike last Tuesday, since when I haven't heard anything from him.

No replies to my emails, so I have just left him a voice mail.

At the moment, I have a very expensive paper weight.

It is now coming up to a year, when I put in my order for a 70ft GWR turntable...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Copied from my Henley on Thames thread:

Greenwood Turntable update:

A quick recap:

• I paid a £50 deposit on 24th March 2021, having expressed an interest on 23rd November 2020 (Ready by Christmas, I was told.)
  • Final balance paid on 6th June 2021 after much chasing and the turntable was despatched within days.
  • Stuck in Spanish customs for @6 weeks and cost €160 in duty.
  • Broken transformer supplied. (Still not replaced)
  • Initial testing found that the cable supplied had faulty plugs.
  • A new cable was supplied

It then transpires that the control panel does not work, so had to be sent back to the UK.

Mike at Greenwood received the parcel on 20th October 2021 and quickly identified that the control panel was not working and a new one would need to be built. That was 3 1/2weeks ago.

I have chased a couple of times, but stated I wanted it back working, having been tested - which if that had happened in the first place, I wouldn't have to be putting up with all of this.

In between times, we have exchanged various emails, with me being very vocal about his failings. In one exchange, I pointed that that he doesn't reply to emails "Waste of time" was his reply! His policy is to reply to only those he considers important....

Yesterday I chased him again. His reply came in last night, stating he has a personal crises and it will be into next week before he can get back to it. I have expressed sympathies, but pointed out that he needs to balance his personal and business commitments, but sadly history is proving that this request will fall on deaf ears.

The whole saga beggars belief, people like him should not be in business.

Should anyone be considering buying products from Greenwood model railway in Swanage, based on my experience my advice would be to avoid them.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2