Greenwood Model Products 65ft GWR Turntable

Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Premium

Turntable

In other news, yesterday afternoon I threatened legal action against Greenwood. You shouldn’t have to go to such extremes to get a reaction. Although the email was quite strong….

Almost within the hour, he emailed a screen shot of the DHL website asking for my address.

Hopefully then DHL will collect the parcel today and send me an email confirming their instruction….

We will see

• Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 24/11/2021 at 20:13, Neal Ball said:

I sent a chase email around 1pm to check he was sending everything back and that it was coming by DHL and to the correct email address.

His reply came back simply as: 

HI Yes 

To all but if I was to sit in front of a pc and answer emails all day would not do any work

So presumably it’s been sent, I’ve no idea how or whether he has sent the correct documentation to show is a £0 warranty repair.

It’s all a nightmare.

His approach appears to show a total lack of respect for his customers. The result is that his behaviour is made public and likely to impact his future sales.

However he makes, in a rather churlish way, one valid point. From experience supporting one kit supplier over many years, I know that some existing and potential customers do like to conduct quite intensive email conversations about products for sale. They often ignore the website information about purchase terms, delivery charges, etc. and send an email asking for that information. Sometimes they want detailed information about a model or kit, asking for detailed historical information on different variants and whether the model can be altered to produce those, asking for ancillaries such as paint, wheels, etc. which the supplier doesn't produce or stock, and a myriad of other things. To research some of those questions and provide answers is time consuming and sometimes fruitless if a sale doesn't result.

So dealing with repeated or time consuming enquiries can take up time otherwise spent developing new models, ordering new materials, sorting and storing them, packing kits (it can take up to 20 minutes to select the components and pack a an loco kit, print the instructions, etc.) taking parcels to the Post Office, etc. Most traders manage to do all this and deal with their customer's enquiries in a friendly and professional way. Sadly, some don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

His approach appears to show a total lack of respect for his customers. The result is that his behaviour is made public and likely to impact his future sales.

However he makes, in a rather churlish way, one valid point. From experience supporting one kit supplier over many years, I know that some existing and potential customers do like to conduct quite intensive email conversations about products for sale. They often ignore the website information about purchase terms, delivery charges, etc. and send an email asking for that information. Sometimes they want detailed information about a model or kit, asking for detailed historical information on different variants and whether the model can be altered to produce those, asking for ancillaries such as paint, wheels, etc. which the supplier doesn't produce or stock, and a myriad of other things. To research some of those questions and provide answers is time consuming and sometimes fruitless if a sale doesn't result.

So dealing with repeated or time consuming enquiries can take up time otherwise spent developing new models, ordering new materials, sorting and storing them, packing kits (it can take up to 20 minutes to select the components and pack a an loco kit, print the instructions, etc.) taking parcels to the Post Office, etc. Most traders manage to do all this and deal with their customer's enquiries in a friendly and professional way. Sadly, some don't.

I agree with your points and I’m sure there are a lot of emails that don’t result in a sale…. However to prevaricate with a customer who has a fault, just makes matters worse.

These days there are so many easy ways to get assistance without going to the expense of hiring a secretary…. An easy route would be to get on board with the local chamber of commerce. The one covering the neighbouring county of Hampshire is huge and they could offer practical advice. I went to many of their meetings when I was in the UK…… 

Or it could simply be that the range is too ambitious for one person to manage.

Which definitely sounds like the Cooper Craft debacle.

• Agree 4

On 26/11/2021 at 10:17, Jol Wilkinson said:

I know that some existing and potential customers do like to conduct quite intensive email conversations about products for sale. They often ignore the website information about purchase terms, delivery charges, etc. and send an email asking for that information. Sometimes they want detailed information about a model or kit, asking for detailed historical information on different variants and whether the model can be altered to produce those, asking for ancillaries such as paint, wheels, etc. which the supplier doesn't produce or stock, and a myriad of other things. To research some of those questions and provide answers is time consuming and sometimes fruitless if a sale doesn't result.

This sounds very familiar - I sometimes think that it is social interaction that is the primary requirement, rather than buying products!

However, we are all short of time; all necessary information is there to read on my website; so I simply respond with a link to the website.

When it comes to customer service though, I try and provide a by-return service; even though I carry no stock and print to order. I feel that processing orders is my first priority each day - achieving that gives peace-of-mind when it is done, anyway!

I am in need of a turntable myself, but I have concluded that an Airfix kit and a very low revving gear-motor will be the quickest, cheapest and least stressful means to that end!

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes it’s certainly been stressful dealing with Mike Green.

I’ve just had this email:

855E6A5E-5FC2-4C62-8245-F8FDD94C4728.png.937b29300055992524b625627b16f6d1.png

That tracking number doesn’t work!

He has now given me a different one and that says it’s being delivered this Monday….

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

When the original delivery came, I had to send repeated emails to the Spanish post office / customs to ensure the parcel got through.

It turned out it was addressed to a village about 5km away, not Villamartin where we live …..

Surely, as I gave Mike the full address, the return of the faulty components must be right?

NO!
He missed off the street address. I’ve got an email from DHL asking for the address.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

When the original delivery came, I had to send repeated emails to the Spanish post office / customs to ensure the parcel got through.

It turned out it was addressed to a village about 5km away, not Villamartin where we live …..

Surely, as I gave Mike the full address, the return of the faulty components must be right?

NO!
He missed off the street address. I’ve got an email from DHL asking for the address.

:banghead:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Did it arrive?

Err NO!

The documents were filled in wrong…. Including he fu**ed up the address!

I even completed the recipients details to show £0 cost… including the phrase in English and Spanish:  

Esta es una devolución al cliente después de las reparaciones en garantía.

Meaning:

This is a warranty return to the customer after warranty repairs. I can’t remember the phrase , but it’s similar.

Ive advised DHL of the correct address; I’ve advised them it’s a warranty return.

The last I heard, it’s still on hold in the uk as he hasn’t completed the forms correctly…..

To be continued…..

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to hear the latest Neal but it increasingly sounds as if you have the misfortune to be dealing with a total incompetent who can't get anything right. including your address.   How on earth does somebody apparently that useless survive in business I wonder?

Thanks Mike, the whole sorry saga just beggars belief.

The wrong address goes back to the original parcel - it was a wonder it got here at all.

At that point he couldn't find our location on the Parcelforce system, so used a neighbouring town about 5km away. This time, he left off the street name... despite me giving it to him repeatedly.

I also wonder how he stays in business - he must be doing something right..... 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to hear the latest Neal but it increasingly sounds as if you have the misfortune to be dealing with a total incompetent who can't get anything right. including your address.   How on earth does somebody apparently that useless survive in business I wonder?

He can seemingly organise exhibitions though, hmmm.

I must say though, I fully sympathise with Neal, Spanish bureaucracy/disinterest combined with English incompetence is a surefire recipe for disaster!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

He can seemingly organise exhibitions though, hmmm.

I must say though, I fully sympathise with Neal, Spanish bureaucracy/disinterest combined with English incompetence is a surefire recipe for disaster!

Mike.

I presume the proof of the exhibition organising ability pudding will be in the tasting of it - possibly.  One can but hope - for the sake of those attending - that he makes a better job of it than 'running' a business.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

This evenings update...

DHL have now processed the parcel and its on its way! That only took since last Friday, due to Mike Green not completing the DHL paperwork /on-line submission correctly :-(

Like you say, hopefully his incompetence only extends to his business. Although, why anyone would buy from him after this episode beggars belief.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Although, why anyone would buy from him after this episode beggars belief.

It's a real shame that it seems he just can't get his act together - I'd been looking very hard at purchasing one of these turntables (with the clever indexing drive system - so serious money) but after my own difficulties in repeatedly being unable to contact the company (by phone or email) - plus the problems described by Neal here - it would take a significant change for me to ever consider parting with any cash.  I just don't need the aggro.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The parcel arrived at the Madrid depot with DHL just after 6am this morning, with an eta of tomorrow.

At 8am I paid duty of €3

Now, I’ve had further emails and SMS to say it will be delivered today. Great service from DHL.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Now, I’ve had further emails and SMS to say it will be delivered today. Great service from DHL.

I hate to urinate on your conflagration, but you ain't got it yet!!

Been there more than once myself with various couriers, but hope springs eternal! (doesn't she always).

Mike.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, two tone green said:

Are you seeing locos pirouette before your eyes on you new acquisition?

Ah ! Thank you….

If only it was that easy….

It arrived a day early (yesterday, Thursday) and I started to set it up today…. Long story short - it doesn’t work. It’s as if he sent my faulty control panel back to me.

So after he told me I had to be patient- I’ve been waiting 6 months already; apparently so have other customers- it’s now coming out by UPS and due here on 13th December.

• Friendly/supportive 7