GW safety valve covers - less than shiny!

I have a Bachmann 45xx in BR black livery with a very prominent SV cover (plastic of course, not brass).

One option to reduce its visual impact would, of course, be to paint it black.

However, the loco I plan to model it on in BR days appears to have retained the brass finish SV but presents in a very subdued way - presumably due to weathering.

My question is, has anyone successfully created a tarnished or grubby SV cover, such that the brass is still there in a subtle way - but certainly doesn’t gleam!!!  Bear in mind the Bachmann loco has a plastic fitting representing the brass, not bare metal

I would very glad to hear of any successful methods to achieve this effect.

Thanks

Adrian

I replaed the plastic one with brass. When it was new it was very shiny.

601231738_45xxnew.jpg.44e4509ce6f1b2ae65bd8d7eb86ae003.jpg

But after a couple of years it naturally toned itself down

510318698_45xxold.jpg.7856417e867a7c5cd7b1f7df4cc61e0f.jpg

So I would totally recomend replacing safty valve covers with real brass ones as the plastic is never even remotely convincing then have a bit of patience .

Stu

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is definitely the way to go IMHO, and with the copper cap chimneys where appropriate (not 45xx/4575).  Bachmann, Hornby, and Oxford with the DG, present the models with painted brass/copperwork which seems to be spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar to me.  OTOH it can be overdone, as with the very shiny copper plating on Triang's LOTI, now re-introduced.  One of my Bachmann 56xx has a painted copper cap chimney and SV cover which I have successfully toned down with weathering; in service the loco could get surprisingly dirty but the brass and copper still showed through, at least until they got to the 'desperately filthy' stage!  But I like the way real copper and brass weather naturally over time, and the way they can be polished up if you want.  

I have also been trying to get the right effect with brass domes and safety valve covers and I agree that nothing looks more like brass than brass. The photo below (taken by Andy York) shows what happens when you take a lost wax cast dome, polish it up to a shine that would do credit to a Tri-ang Lord of the Isles and then give it a quick wash in gun blue. Don't leave it long before washing it clean! It is much easier to give it another coat than trying to polish it all off again.

AY_Detail_2.jpg.9318eab2a49cd51a2bc2b3a926d56a12.jpg

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

As a generalisation, where it is necessary to paint either copper or brass that is tarnished, I use Humbrol Gunmetal Metalcote 27004 I think it is... with a little brass or copper in it. It is not as satisfactory as tarnishing actual brass ECT to the appropriate colour and finish, but better than nowt!

50336490621_341215545a_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1