Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Models that nearly made it!

MGR Hooper!

I remember having a conversation years ago with a fellow modeller about models that were announced but never made it to shop shelves and models that were on the cards but never made it to an announcement. Been thinking about it quite a bit and was wanting to know about more models that were announced or had EPs shown but never made it to shop shelves. If anyone has pictures also, that would be a bonus.

Off the top of my head I recall Dapol planning to do a N gauge Class 92 and Hornby re-tooling the BR Std 9F. Caanot seem to re-call the others discussed, so hoping people can shed some more light.

For those of us of a certain age, the never-produced Wrenn Adams Radial was “the great toy train disappointment”.

The EP in those days was a K’s kit, which was photographed for the catalogue, and somebody now owns that - I’ve seen it at a TCS meeting.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

One that struck me as a bit odd was them doing a very-nicely tooled chassis for a 21t fitted mineral. This had correct Oleo buffers, correct brake gear, brake shoes in line with wheels etc. However..they put it under a flat wagon body, labelled Conflat B, and loaded it with a Freightliner container. Meanwhile, they did two iterations of an earlier 21t mineral, on different underframes, and issued them with a new ( occasionally accurate) livery every couple of years.

• Like 1

A few from Airfix. Ignoring ones that appeared from Mainline and Dapol.

Info from Ramsay's British Model Trains by Pat Hammond

SR Schools 4-4-0

LNER B1 4-6-0

LMS Compound 4-4-0

GWR 43XX 2-6-0 different version than the Mainline one

SR Lord Nelson 4-6-0

WD 2-8-0

SR U 2-6-0

LNER J69 0-6-0T

LMS Crab 2-6-0

SR (LSWR) O2 0-4-4T

SR (LSWR) G6 0-6-0T

LMS Black Five 4-6-0

LMS 8F 2-8-0

SR Bulleid Corridor Stock 3 types 

LNER Gresley Corridor Stock 3 types

SR Birdcage Stock 2 types

LMS Sleeper

LNER Gresley non corridor Stock 3 types

LNER Brake Van

SR 25T Brake Van

LNER Fruit Van

GWR Cowan Sheldon 45T Crane

GWR Tube Wagon

GWR Ro Rail Milk Tanker

BR 16 Ton Mineral

Plate Wagon

Although most have since appeared some gems in there. Shocking that no one has yet done a J69 and G6.

Jason

• Like 2

A few Mainline ones as well. Ignoring things that appeared later.

LMS 8F 2-8-0

GWR 28XX 2-8-0

LMS Black Five 4-6-0

SR Q1 0-6-0

LNER Gresley Buffet Car

SR Utility Van

BR MK1 BG

GWR Collett First

Freightliner wagon and containers 

SR 25 Ton Brake Van

GWR Cattle Wagon

LNER Van

TEA bogie Tank Wagon

Bogie Pallet Van

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wrenn promised a GW 45xx at some time.  Hornby Dublo had planned a. V2. Lima a Princess and a class 45.

Of course there have been many more recent "stiiborn" examples—in N gauge a BachFar 9F and "Meridian" for starters, and the Dapol and Bachmann "J72s".

I'm surprised that nobody has tackled the J67/J69 yet, but Bachmann already have a small ex-LNER tank and Hornby don't often do small engines, other than industrials.

In narrow gauge there was of course the Roco "Double Fairlie".

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Off the top of my head, I remember one of the Lima catalogues, from around 1980/1 having a photo of a "Peak" Diesel locomotive, with a note saying they were planned in OO gauge, but, I guess, they decided not to bother in the end, as the Mainline Palitoy version was considered to be quite a decent model at that time.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

One that struck me as a bit odd was them doing a very-nicely tooled chassis for a 21t fitted mineral. This had correct Oleo buffers, correct brake gear, brake shoes in line with wheels etc. However..they put it under a flat wagon body, labelled Conflat B, and loaded it with a Freightliner container.

Yes, that's got to be one of the stranger wastes of tooling ever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

And the Brush Type from them, and I believe also some Mk 2 coaches (Pullmans?).

Yes indeed FC, I have my copy of the 1967/68 Trix catalogue in front of me (Lawson's of New George Street, Plymouth stamped on the front cover, anyone remember that shop? I certainly do, I bought a Tri-ang L1 4-4-0 there in the late 60s, it cost forty-two shillings and eleven pence of my hard-won farm work earnings!) :

Item No 1170 - Brush Type 4 in green syp [illustration, I believe based on a photo of D1730]

Item No 1171 - Brush Type 4 in blue fye [photo of D1959 in original blue with cabside arrows/bodyside numbers]

And on the inside rear cover, "STOP PRESS - New!" :

Item Nos 1906/7 - Mark 2 TSO [b&w photo + illustration]

Item No 1933 - Pullman Parlour Car, 1st Class [b&w photo]

Item No 1934 - Pullman Parlour Brake Car [b&w photo]

Item No 1935 - Pullman Parlour Kitchen Car [b&w photo]

Interestingly the Western diesel could be had with twin motors, and this loco, the Warship and the AL1 electric were available as 'Footplateman' kits (same as 'CKD' in Tri-ang Hornby-speak).  'Coachbuilder' kits covered all available coach types apart from those decorated as Class 124 Intercity DMU trailers in green. There was even an interior lighting kit available (Item No 1451 2-rail/1452 3-rail), a strip with what looks like three bulbs which fitted into the roof........52 years ago but looks familiar!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Although most have since appeared some gems in there. Shocking that no one has yet done a J69 and G6.

Jason

Although you can now get a 3D printed body for a proprietary chassis which is a lot easier than a kit IMHO.  No connection other than I bought a 97xx body from this seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-J69-Body-To-fit-Dapol-Hornby-Terrier-chassis/324269265009?hash=item4b7ff45071:g:agQAAOSwQYxeeMSr

Discussed elsewhere, but Tri-ang Railways R753 Bo-Bo Class E.3046 Electric Locomotive (AL2), first shown as an artist's impression in the 1964 catalogue, then in mock-up form in the 1965 catalogue. The mock-up still exists. Tooling for the bogies was done which is why the Tri-ang Hornby version has an AL1 body (tooled by Hornby Dublo) and AL2 bogies (tooled by Tri-ang Railways).

As an aside, the Triang-Hornby version used the older design of bogie with knurled wheels while the 1964 & 1965 catalogues says the model would be fitted with Magnadhesion, so presumably they were developing a bogie similar to that later fitted under the Hymek, a four-wheel version of the bogie used under the EM1 and Brush Type 2/EE Type 3 (Yes, I know those only had four actual wheels anyway, but it's more that it would involve a shorter wheelbase).

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1