Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Models that nearly made it!

MGR Hooper!

4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Though being Trix they would have probably been in either 1:80 or 1:76 by then (like their Flying Scotsman and A4 models).

I was thinking that; mid 60s Trix locos and coaches were approx 3.8mm scale.  Admittedly, Flying Scotsman c 1968 was 4mm.  I've just thought; their wagons didn't look under scale at the time, at least not to me.  Were they actually  3.8mm or 4mm in the mid 60s - anyone know? 

Steve.

Like many forms they had some standard underframes. The plastic wagons that had been introduced around 1960 originally had metal underframes, later replaced with plastic ones. Most were 17' 6" at 1:80 scale, but this is more or less the same as 16' 6" in 4mm scale so the 16t Mineral and Pig Iron wagons were as near to 4mm scale as makes no difference.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed.  Long ago in a galaxy far away I had the CKD version with the ‘overdetailed’ bogies; unlike the real locos, it failed to tower over the Triang mk1s, which were admittedly too high at the buffers anyway. 1:80.  It must have been under scale length for 4mm as well but I never noticed that.  As well as the bogies, the slot in the fairings for the coupling jarred a bit as well, but it was a very smooth, and for those days quiet, runner.  It would have looked ok with Trix coaches. 

Different prototypes. While the H0 one may be the same height overall the 'shoulders' of the 00 version are higher. This would be more obvious viewed end on. The comparison can be seen in the video at 7:38 where the two are in the same train. The floor is pushed down (only 3.5mm scale to a similar floor height, against 4mm scale) while the top of the flat part of the doors is lower too even though the height to the top of the more arched roof is the same.

I would suggest the H0 wagon is to a larger UIC loading gauge against the smaller British loading gauge (but to a larger scale). Both are probably to scale.

Roco did do one of the late 1970s VTG Ferry vans in H0. That would make an interetsing comparison to the modern Continental H0 one. No use for 00 though!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suddenly remembered my youngest has the 1979 Hornby Book of Trains, that she picked up for a couple of quid from the second-hand book stall at the KWVR.  Quick flick through to the back, and here's the much-mentioned-on-this-thread Mountain Railway Loco and Coach- apologies for the quality of the quick phone snap of the page, my scanner is out of action.

227964675_HORNBYBOOKOFTRAINS1979-MountainRailwayTrain.jpg.ae6d3e8988709fa4e77d87c1727572d3.jpg

P171 "The Hornby Book of Trains- 25 Year Edition (Prototypes and Models)" ISBN 9506586 0 X

-no photographer directly credited for these shots; Malcom Russell, David Watt, M.Esau, PJ Bartlett credited at back-

Copyright Rovex Limited, Kent, England 1979

(assume that's all the copyright info needed to put the shot above in, will happily remove from here if requested).

It's an interesting model, looks to be on the standard Polly chassis with an additional bit of motion.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Ben B said:

I suddenly remembered my youngest has the 1979 Hornby Book of Trains, that she picked up for a couple of quid from the second-hand book stall at the KWVR.  Quick flick through to the back, and here's the much-mentioned-on-this-thread Mountain Railway Loco and Coach- apologies for the quality of the quick phone snap of the page, my scanner is out of action.

227964675_HORNBYBOOKOFTRAINS1979-MountainRailwayTrain.jpg.ae6d3e8988709fa4e77d87c1727572d3.jpg

P171 "The Hornby Book of Trains- 25 Year Edition (Prototypes and Models)" ISBN 9506586 0 X

-no photographer directly credited for these shots; Malcom Russell, David Watt, M.Esau, PJ Bartlett credited at back-

(assume that's all the copyright info needed to put the shot above in, will happily remove from here if requested).

It's an interesting model, looks to be on the standard Polly chassis with an additional bit of motion.

And does appear to be a larger scale narrow gauge item, using 16.5mm gauge track. Around 1:48 or 1:50 would be appropriate for the SMR’s 800mm gauge. Personally I’m not sure there’s much point in producing an RTR rack locomotive unless it has some way of replicating the steep gradients of the prototype (either by magnets or an actual rack) - most successful RTR rack equipment has had this.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ben B said:

Blimey, I remember that now. I think I've still got the book in the attic....