Station-less Layout?

Ray Von

On 11/09/2020 at 12:06, TheQ said:

Another possibility would be a halt, in the old days, just a raised platform of sleepers and nothing else. there are still a few around.

Here's Berney Arms  still in use, with the addition of a generous station building,..

image.png.24de457199ee60aaf438bb2a3e38f749.png

It had a signalling method unique in this country too ... permissive tablet working, described towards the end of this page ...   https://old.signalbox.org/gallery/e/reedhamjcn.php

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'd disagree with this statement, the majority of stations were small ones on the way to somewhere, they'd have one maybe two sidings, sometimes a  goods shed. The signalman porter could be quite busy, with small goods deliveries, The local farmers would be bringing in cattle and sheep or collecting. the coal merchant would come and collect his coal, even if the majority didn't have an on site coal staithe. There would be milk collected and empty churns returned.

Every station of dozen or so on the 62 mile line I'm modelling a little bit of, had at least a siding for local goods being delivered. 

None of the stations near me had sidings at them and they certainly didn't have farmers. I'm probably talking about 200 stations.

What they did have was huge good sheds and warehouses. None of which were at the stations. It would be delivered by road.

People are thinking everyone lived in the countryside. By and large they didn't.

Jason

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure what you refer to Jason. Even Adlestrop had a good siding and goods shed: https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/423434/226491/12/100636 

Roy

How many trains used it per day? One a week maybe.

What I'm referring to is the idea you need a station as everything happened there. Usually it didn't. You could model an industrial area and have hundreds of train movements.

The classic station which has been modelled hundreds of times is Ashburton.

Model Ashburton and run it to strict timetable. Now see how bored you get. I think at one point there was three trains a day and an early morning goods. Riveting....

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

What I'm referring to is the idea you need a station as everything happened there. Usually it didn't. You could model an industrial area and have hundreds of train movements.

Model Ashburton and run it to strict timetable. Now see how bored you get. I think at one point there was three trains a day and an early morning goods. Riveting....

Jason

Ok, it didn't read that way, more that stations rarely had good facilities at all, not that they weren't used frequently.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

A station does not have to be a passenger station - a stand alone goods yard is, of course, a station too.

The point I was making should have been fairly obvious: If you have some reason for trains to stop on scene then operations are more varied. Even infrequent and simple stopping operations add different movement to the baseline trains passing through. You can choose/design the station to meet your desired level of on scene operations.

I know this is getting slightly off topic. Maybe the OP would like to change the title of this thread to clarify that he was asking about station buildings.

• Agree 1

On 13/09/2020 at 12:00, Dungrange said:

Given that you don't intend to connect this new platform and track to the lines at the front (and we can assume it was perhaps once a separate station), can you make the platform a bit longer and then make the rear face of the platform a short bay and the other face (adjacent to your stabling siding) the longest platform that you'll have in the station?  This would then allow you to have two platforms serving this second destination, but still model a station building in low relief down towards the back corner of the layout.

Just a quick sketch of a possible configuration, inspired by the above idea, I would need to remove/cover the ramp at the far end of the platform and construct a square base to site a station building on. This would widen the platform at this point, providing a buffer for track "two" and also allowing me to reuse a Wills Southern Region Footbridge I have to span the two remaining lines...IMG_20200914_105428982.jpg.f1ddafcd0bb3cf067ae7401503494db2.jpg

IMG_20200914_074637156.jpg

Edited by Ray Von

9 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

If anyone really disliked stations they could always model the carriage sidings. 

I think the terminal platforms at Ealing Broadway do have their  building at street level.

Yes, they are at street level, but the street is above platform level.

I believe that as originally built the plan was to take the District Line on further.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 20:51, cctransuk said:

That's precisely what I intend to do with my new / final layout.

1845648005_GARAGELAYOUT.JPG.150b4ec7c55fbaec712b8c7516cc9eee.JPG

I don't really enjoy architectural modelling, and I want to complete this layout quickly. It will be very much a shunting and 'watch the trains go by' layout, so to indicate the presence of a station by modelling the platform ends will work for me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That looks excellent, what are the dimensions please?

Mike

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

In 1947, Adlestrop had 9 passenger trains calling each weekday (3 on Sundays) and several which did not stop.  It was far from the backwater Edward Thomas' poem might make it appear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

In 1947, Adlestrop had 9 passenger trains calling each weekday (3 on Sundays) and several which did not stop.  It was far from the backwater Edward Thomas' poem might make it appear.

Mmm, yes and no.  That's probably a gap of well over an hour between most trains (although they are in both directions, obviously), and perhaps his train stopped during the middle of the day when it was particularly quiet.  But do bear in mind Thomas' poem was written just before WW1, when the timetable may have been very different.

16 hours ago, Northmoor said:

But do bear in mind Thomas' poem was written just before WW1, when the timetable may have been very different.

Bradshaw is your friend! :)

This is from 1911.

56.png.98a58421482cabfc4b7daab84d5130e1.png

57.png.0c12704542239ff743cc7645a7f0036a.png

58.png.b73eba4af02ae65e0888189573624051.png

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 2