Hopefully next week, I'll be picking up Humber Dock from Ian. I hope to do the layout justice on its new adventure! 

118480309_10157886288917984_2600227023622011185_o.jpeg.787fc3146879200f84ed8a5ace05b1e1.jpeg

My plan originally, had to Awdryise it to fit with my other projects, but I feel this would do a disservice to the layout, so I'll be keeping it as Humber Dock. I'm looking at setting the layout circa 1955. I'll probably be calling on the advice of @mikemeg and @micknich2003 as I go along.

For those who've known me for many years, my heart has always been in the North Eastern (Leaman Road). I will be converting the layout from P4 to OO, so I can use the large amount of goods stock I already use on Cwm Prysor.

After routing through one of my modelling draws, I have managed to find my Dapol Y3 'Sentinel' which I'm trying to find a suitable 'Dairycoates' example to renumber it to. Also looking into the wide variety of locomotives that passed through the docks in the mid 1950s (J72s, K3s, B1s etc).

Looking forward to this new adventure.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

It's a super little atmospheric layout, love that curved building, Custom House or pub?

I think most if not all were scratch built. @clecklewyke will be able to answer I’m sure. 

You see Paul, it might have taken a few years but I’ve seen the light in the North East! :lol:

• Like 1

Currently looking into Tank Engines in the Humber area. J72s seem the most abundance but the variety of types is fascinating. J73, J77, N8 and Diesel Shunters (08/11).

c.1952 - Alexandra Dock (53C) depot, Hull, East Yorkshire.

c.1960 - Alexandra Dock, Hull, East Yorkshire.

©Mick Nicholson

• Like 3

Tim, great to see that you have taken this on, I have read all about it on Ian's thread. Great to see it has a home. I have to applaud the change to the NER region... well I do like the NER... I look forward to your up dates over time! 

5 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

It's a super little atmospheric layout, love that curved building, Custom House or pub?

Hi Paul,

It is based on the Minerva pub next to Victoria Pier here in Hull

Pete

Edited by pete55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, teaky said:

You mentioned a T1 on Tony's thread, Tom.  52F do one:  https://www.52fmodels.org/ner-class-x-lner-class-t1

Thanks Rob
I've decided against a T1 due to the size of the layout, and decided  to go with something more useful for shunting.

I've gone with a J73 and J77 which Tony is going to build.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Thanks Rob
I've decided against a T1 due to the size of the layout, and decided  to go with something more useful for shunting.

I've gone with a J73 and J77 which Tony is going to build.

Hello Tom,

I think that sounds wise. I'm sure that a T1 would not be allowed in the real location around Humber and Railway docks because of weight limits on the bridges over the dock entrances, not to mention the sharp curves in the track, some of which still exists in the cobbles around there.

Pete

8 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hello Tom,

I think that sounds wise. I'm sure that a T1 would not be allowed in the real location around Humber and Railway docks because of weight limits on the bridges over the dock entrances, not to mention the sharp curves in the track, some of which still exists in the cobbles around there.

Pete

Thanks Pete
Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. Largest loco I'm going to use is a B1 (weather it would be allowed I don't know) but I did find this photo of one in the area.

B1 61080 Alexandra Dock.jpg

Hi,

I'vr long been fascintated by the docks at Hull after travelling over the Humbrr from New Holland on one of the paddle steamers when I was a youngster!

If you're interested in Hull there are three books I would recommend if you can get your hands on them.  They are: 

An Illustrated History of Hull's Railways  by Mick Nicholson and W B Yeadon  ISBN 1-871608-44-9

More Illustrated History of the Railways of Hull by W B  Yeadon   ISBN 1-899624-03-1

An Illustrated History of the Port of Hull and It's Railways  by Mike G Fell. OBE   ISBN 978-1-911262-14-5

They are well worth the effort of tracking down, full of information and layout ideas.  I may even get around to making a layout based on something in these myself some day!

Roja

• Like 1

Tom,

Re the loco types appropriate to Humber Dock, around 1955, you could do worse than look at the 1955 shed allocation list for Alexandra Dock in Hull. This was largely composed of J72's, J73's, J77's. Some of the ex-NER 'Y' classes of 0-4-0 tanks were also used. In general, the dockside lines were restricted to 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tanks. Hull's J71's (Dairycoates and Springhead) may also have been used on the dockside lines.

However many of the loco allocations of Hull Springhead and Hull Dairycoates would also work to and from the docks on trip freights, so that almost any of the ex NER tank classes and many tender classes would work to the dock sidings, though they would not be allowed onto the very tight curves of the dockside lines.

The very large ex-NER tanks - A7's and T1's - were used as hump shunters, in the Dairycoates marshalling yards and the flat Springhead yards, and the A7's also worked trip freights to and from the dock sidings, though they would not have been allowed onto the dockside lines; their weight and wheelbase would prohibit this.

The photo of the B1 would probably have been taken at one of the Hull goods yards, though not directly on the dockside. There was an enormous amount of trip working from the large Hull marshalling yards to the smaller goods yards and the docks within the town itself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Agree 1

Tom,

A couple of J72's which might have seen service at Humber Dock; they did see service at Hull's Alexandra Dock. These are Bachmann J72 bodies - detailed with Arthur Kimber's brass castings - on High Level etched chassis' and are built to P4 gauge. I also have two more J72's - one long bunker, one short bunker - which were the test builds for Arthur Kimber's etched kits, plus three J77's  and one each of J71 and J73.

And a T1, which was my very first scratch build some fifteen years ago.

Unfortunately, all are built to P4 gauge, so will not run on Humber Dock when it is converted to 'OO'.

Cheers

Mike

P1110001.JPG

P1080018.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi @mikemeg it's good to hear from you.

What a beautiful number of locomotives, I really wish I could get myself into kit building.

I'm sorry I wont be keeping the layout P4. One of the reasons I decided to take the layout was so I could run the large amount of wagons and vans I've either made or detailed for Cwm Prysor in OO. Secondly, after dabbling in P4 in the past, I quickly realised its not for me. My interest is primarily in detailing/weathering stock to give an authentic finish, chassis and regauging really isn't my thing and brings me little enjoyment (I wish it did).

It's my intention to hopefully open the curves out into the docks area so that an 0-6-0 may be able to traverse the point work (at the moment in P4, only a 0-4-0 can manage it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If I'm understanding things correctly, it seems somewhat ironic that the original owner didn't want to convert the layout to OO, but the new owner does! (I know it's not as simplistic as that.)

Mike.

Ian built the layout to P4, but sadly that just isn't my thing (sorry to disappoint).

See how I go (not something I'm looking forward to if I'm honest).

• Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Hi @mikemeg it's good to hear from you.

What a beautiful number of locomotives, I really wish I could get myself into kit building.

I'm sorry I wont be keeping the layout P4. One of the reasons I decided to take the layout was so I could run the large amount of wagons and vans I've either made or detailed for Cwm Prysor in OO. Secondly, after dabbling in P4 in the past, I quickly realised its not for me. My interest is primarily in detailing/weathering stock to give an authentic finish, chassis and regauging really isn't my thing and brings me little enjoyment (I wish it did).

It's my intention to hopefully open the curves out into the docks area so that an 0-6-0 may be able to traverse the point work (at the moment in P4, only a 0-4-0 can manage it.

If OO fits your resources and allows stock to be run then it’s your layout after all. It looks scenically a great layout 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’m very sorry that Tom has decided not to take on Humber dock. He already has a lot of projects in hand and I believe Humber dock would have been a bridge too far.

I have stopped exhibiting Humber Dock mainly because I have become seriously sigh impaired and have moved from P4 to OO - see my thread on the Bradford North Western branch. Here is a tasterFC9C0439-5230-4AE7-8106-8D2393931E60.jpeg.fcf1462002c07ef15631025674702ac3.jpegso, I am still wanting to dispose of  Humber Dock to someone who will cherish it and exhibit it and maybe develop it. It’s a great little layout to exhibit, fulfilling most of the criteria for Iain Rice’s “Cameo” proposal. It was built as part of the Scalefour  society’s 1883 challenge and has been exhibited three times at Scaleforum and Scalerour lNorth as well as many other exhibitions. It is very popular with crowds, especially those from Humberside.who take delight in recognising the buildings, all of which are based on wHull  prototypes.

So, if you are interested, please PM me at Clecklewyke.

And if you are ever in the Wensleydale area do pop in

Ian Everett (Clecklewyke)

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

As far as I understand it Ian, it Tom had alrady acquired 'Humber Dock'. If that is not the case, please let me know. I don't do social media, so cannot contact you directly without an e-mail address. I have always really liked the layout, and could be very interested, if it is still available. You can contact me direct if you wish at i.ogden88@btinternet.com