Planet Industrials Peckett Conversion

I have been looking forward to this conversion kit since it was first announced several months ago.  The postie delivered mine not half an hour ago.

The kit is sold as "Peckett W Class late style" although to be strictly accurate the late W4s had the buffer beam tops flush with the running plate, where the kit's buffer beams remain proud of them, as on the Hornby model of the older version. To be honest, I'm not fussed about that for once; I just think that the kit will make it look different and so I'm willing to overlook it.

This is what you get, save for the chimney, which I forgot to take out of the packet for the photo.

peckettconvert.jpg.c95ad3f7eeeb9aa2a3b03a954dee8f2d.jpg

We have a cab, buffer beams and chimney (more on that later) in 3D-printed plastic and a cab roof, wheel balance weights and cab steps in etched nickel silver. The 3D-printed parts have only light ridges on them, so little that I expect they will disappear with a coat of primer, without any sanding at all but we shall see.

Let the games begin! :yahoo:

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

The new chimney and the old.

peckettconvert-001.jpg.c51bc2169099a3abf5d0323f4986c8fe.jpg

The new one is lower, which of course suits the newer look of the loco but it's disappointingly thin and so I won't be using it. Instead I'll cut a length out of the old one and attempt to splice the two parts back together.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been informed that I have been given the wrong chimney and a replacement will be on its way. By then I had already butchered the orignal, messed it up and butchered the chimney on a spare B2 body, so at least I have a replacement to go on the B2.

I have had the Peckett prepared for weeks and as I had removed the smokebox front, cut the wing plates off and re-attached it, I haven't used the etched smokebox front. So far all I have done is to fit the new buffer beams. Another thing I didn't show in the first photo is that there was a choice of font buffer beams. One that keeps the original overall length and one with extended frames. I have used the one that keeps the original length. The buffers have had brass circles soldered to them to give scale 24-inch bufffer heads.

peckettconvert-002.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

28 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Are the brass window rims part of the moulding?  If so they're very nicely painted.

And who's the driver?

The rims are part of the print. No idea who the driver is but it's not you. :lol:

5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The loco is absolutely brilliant! May I ask were you sourced the driver from as it doesn't come from Maison 5050.

Cheers

The driver and other figures are from Modelu. They are 3D-printed and scanned from real people. Mr. 5050 has posed for scanning, as an engine driver, or so he tells me, but I haven't been able to find him on the Modelu website.

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

The driver and other figures are from Modelu. They are 3D-printed and scanned from real people. Mr. 5050 has posed for scanning, as an engine driver, or so he tells me, but I haven't been able to find him on the Modelu website.

I'm one of Alan's 'under the counter, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, sold in plain brown wrapping paper' figures:rolleyes:

Along with many other infamous notorious notable 'personalities' from the hobby.

• Funny 1

22 hours ago, 5050 said:

I'm one of Alan's 'under the counter, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, sold in plain brown wrapping paper' figures:rolleyes:

Along with many other infamous notorious notable 'personalities' from the hobby.

I've seen the figure now. I don't think the knotted hanky on the head and a big coat really go together. I was actually expecting Gumby from Monty Python. :lol:

gumby.jpg.899c173b17cf75f575be14002567a43d.jpg

• Funny 1