Wrenn Loriot P and airfix 20t min

I am currently fiddling around with a wrenn Loriot P and the airfix 20T steel minerals,

the Loriot P I have changed the wheels and couplings to the newer finer stuff and now wish to paint the decking wood colours as I under stand it wasn't painted grey on the real thing, but natural wood, But the end ramps have what look like two plates and the centre panel is scribed to look like wood planking, the top deck behind the buffer beam is also smooth like these panels on the sloped section, so are these parts painted gray? And the rest of the deck wood coloured ?

The airfix 20t steel minerals I have filed the end door off and used Tee section plastic section to represent the end reinforcing strips as I understand these never had one end door in normal GWR livery, Haveing enough of these now. What other conversions can I do to this wagon as most of the big side door stuff seams to have both ends Haveing end doors neither of which is of the type moldeed on the wagon.

All caused by my local junk shop in watchet Haveing loads of them. At £4 !

Thanks in advance 

P S I did a search 11 pages with no answer that I could see, happy to be proved blind if I am wrong and the answer is out their

Graham

2 hours ago, Graham456 said:

I am currently fiddling around with a wrenn Loriot P and the airfix 20T steel minerals,

the Loriot P I have changed the wheels and couplings to the newer finer stuff and now wish to paint the decking wood colours as I under stand it wasn't painted grey on the real thing, but natural wood, But the end ramps have what look like two plates and the centre panel is scribed to look like wood planking, the top deck behind the buffer beam is also smooth like these panels on the sloped section, so are these parts painted gray? And the rest of the deck wood coloured ?

The airfix 20t steel minerals I have filed the end door off and used Tee section plastic section to represent the end reinforcing strips as I understand these never had one end door in normal GWR livery, Haveing enough of these now. What other conversions can I do to this wagon as most of the big side door stuff seams to have both ends Haveing end doors neither of which is of the type moldeed on the wagon.

All caused by my local junk shop in watchet Haveing loads of them. At £4 !

Thanks in advance 

P S I did a search 11 pages with no answer that I could see, happy to be proved blind if I am wrong and the answer is out their

Graham

The second volume of David Larkin's series 'The absorbed wagons of British Railways' has a lot of gen on these 21-tonners, both GWR-origin and XPO types. Amongst the latter, you can find P361059K, ex- Gloucester Wagon Hiring, with a single end-door in the Airfix style. There are also some vehicles with two doors in the 'Airfix' style, and no side doors (P345949, ex-Swansea Corporation) 

I've hacked up a couple of the Airfix/Hornby types to produce a double-end doors/ two side door version and a side-doors only type. Dapol were selling unpainted body-only for £1.75 each recently.

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The second volume of David Larkin's series 'The absorbed wagons of British Railways' has a lot of gen on these 21-tonners, both GWR-origin and XPO types. Amongst the latter, you can find P361059K, ex- Gloucester Wagon Hiring, with a single end-door in the Airfix style. There are also some vehicles with two doors in the 'Airfix' style, and no side doors (P345949, ex-Swansea Corporation) 

I've hacked up a couple of the Airfix/Hornby types to produce a double-end doors/ two side door version and a side-doors only type. Dapol were selling unpainted body-only for £1.75 each recently.

Thanks the transfers I have from POW sides "hire redemption"are only for the double end door type (I think?) suffering from information overload looking at jenkings  Hyde book yesterday, have thought of surgery, end swapping but as I do middle time gwr modelling I would have to carve off the extra pressings on the as supplyed opening ends to make then as made condition ,

did you cut across the ends so the cut was in the side or with the blade going along the side so the cut was in the end? I suspect the former? 

3 hours ago, Graham456 said:

Thanks the transfers I have from POW sides "hire redemption"are only for the double end door type (I think?) suffering from information overload looking at jenkings  Hyde book yesterday, have thought of surgery, end swapping but as I do middle time gwr modelling I would have to carve off the extra pressings on the as supplyed opening ends to make then as made condition ,

did you cut across the ends so the cut was in the side or with the blade going along the side so the cut was in the end? I suspect the former? 

I sliced the ends off, as it was easier to get a square cut. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2020 at 22:58, Fat Controller said:

I sliced the ends off, as it was easier to get a square cut. 

Just a update

cutting the ends off was easy and reattaching simple just got to put the transfers on, when I decide which as the redemption hire transfers I have only suit single side door models... plan C  ? Isn't decided yet

the Loriot is done but not as well as gwrrob's as I lack a decent of wood colour paints, something that can be sorted post this next lockdown! I have been useing ancient enamel's some of which must be near thirty years old but are still good in the tinlet, wish modern enamel  paints kept as well even when kept upside down with good clean lid seals,

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For the planking put 2 or three  blobs of  brown and fawn colours onto something disposable and non absorbent - like a magazine cover or an old birthday card.  In a triangle formation with a little space between.  Use it like an artists pallette and mix tiny patches of "hybrid" colours in the gaps between the blobs.     Paint each plank a slightly different colour to the next.

The planks just in from the end on the flat surface would probably do with a faded black stain in the centre  imagine all the drips from truck or tractor engines and gearboxes accumulating.....a small speck of black and then a tiny brush in thinners working from the middle to the edge to thin it and spread it.  

• Informative/Useful 1