Radio control 1/76 scale cars

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

What components did you use for such a small BPRC model? I'm surprised it's possible.

Cheers

There is a chap who scratch builds his own 009 locomotives and he uses motors from mobile phone vibrators, these motors are tiny, no more than a centimetre long and 3 mm diameter. They are proper motors as well not the 'make and break' type. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Giles said:

I use these little gearmotors from EBay in mine - 6mm diameter for 4mm scale and 8mm diameter for 7mm scale.

I prefer a nice slow speed for use on a layout.

50136243693_09e02190b5_b.jpg

1:76 (4mm:ft) radio controlled Landrover by Giles by giles favell, on Flickr

Very interesting little geared motors, a lot of work saved there, nice.  Could you identify the source for them, please?

Julian

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Giles said:

All sorts of gearmotors from this seller - but these are the 100 rpm ones I use in my 4mm vehicles

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-DC-3V-3-7V-100RPM-Mini-Coreless-Planetary-Gearbox-Gear-Motor-DIY-Robot-Car/264076855533?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They work best with a good quality transmitter. 

Thank you for the link, that's really great.  Time for some homework, too.  :D

Julian

For radio control locos, I use gearmotors of various sorts, which give me the output speed of the desired wheel rpm. I then use bevel gears for the final drive.  You can get such a large variety of gearmotors that there is usually a solution.

• Like 1

I was thinking of cars in the context of 4mm railways. The idea of an BPRC Mini is very attractive, but it is attractive only if its speed can be realistically controlled which, as you say, means an output RPM of around 100. When I've finished the Jinty I'm currently working on I've every intention of doing a road vehicle, a Bedford CA van. I already have the motor for it, one of the planetary gearbox motors shown in your earlier post.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Last night, during one of my wakeful periods, I wondered about the rotational speed of these motors and having just looked them up on Amazon they seem to be too fast for 4mm model railways. A pity.

56 minutes ago, Giles said:

For radio control locos, I use gearmotors of various sorts, which give me the output speed of the desired wheel rpm. I then use bevel gears for the final drive.  You can get such a large variety of gearmotors that there is usually a solution.

On one of the links above I paged down and at the bottom was a series of geared motors, some down to 70 rpm. Problem is I now can't find it again.:banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 2

Not sure if we're not getting at cross-purposes.

What I meant was a motor that has an output of around 100rpm so it can be used to directly drive an axle using bevel gears. The motor can be geared to get 100rpm or it can be in it's 'native' state. 3 to 6 volt would be ideal.

I've looked on eBay and can't find anything, 9k-20k rpm seems to be the normal design range which I can understand for their use as vibrator motors.

Having said that, such a small motor would be great for 4mm private cars :P. The K20 is good for commercial vehicles, but I speak theoretically as I haven't yet got round to doing the business yet! :huh:

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've not long received mine, and I have to say its really good - quite a lot better than the Carson VW offering, and I think a lot of that is down to the controller - these have a small trigger style controller much like the type you'd expect for a bigger RC car, with both trim and range control for steering and throttle channels, plus a button for a third channel (which is spare on the mini)

They cost around the same as the Carson VWs, once you've paid for shipping and VAT / customs charges, and they both look better (being the right scale) and drive better too.

IMG_4287.JPG.49ef12a6c97255a76b8f7b865ce5d5fa.JPG

Edited by Pikey
  • Informative/Useful 2