Sign in to follow this  
peach james

Canadian Puget Sound II

This is a bit of a companion to my OO layout at 

One of the other areas I play around in, is live steam ride behind size in general.  I've been slowly working on building a railway at home since 2005 or so.  Several other projects have gotten in the way- such things as a pair of kids, a horse, a house, ect...

Anyway, the intent has been to build a ~600' long, 4 rail, 3 or 4 gauge ride behind railway.  It is ground level, with the intent of 7.x gauge for passengers, then down to either 3.5 or 2.5" gauge for locos.  Some of it has proved like wet noodles to figure out- because I am unsure if I can get away with 7.500" gauge, or if the large gauge will be 7.250.  Being on the west coast of North America, the customary gauge is 7.5, often widened to 7.625.  However, I might end up getting a 7.25" gauge loco...which complicates things !

Same sort of thing for the middle gauge- 5" or 4.75".  There exists a lot more 5" gauge locos than 4.75", but the customary NA gauge is 4.75".  No, I'm not making this up...  I have the Darjeeling D class which is gauged at 5", but as an outside framed loco, would be re-gaugeable without too much problems at this time.  However, dad has a Wren from the same maker that is 5", and that would be more problematic to regauge.

Photos:  Some photos from this years work are up on my Flickr account-

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQHeVWz

It's my next door Neighbour who is holding up the various signs- he's a huge influence on getting things done (thanks Murray !), rather than my dad.  I live in BC, dad is in Ontario.  (about 3 UK's away...)

Earthwork conducted this year has included moving about 100 m3 of fill into the property to date, with about the same more needed.  The embankments will reach up to 6' across the low spots on my property- that's why not much happened for quite some time, as I was waiting on free fill.  I have a gap of about 75' to fill via wheelbarrow/small trailer or slinger, as it otherwise involves traveling over the septic system for the house.  So, there is about 100 m3 still to get got of fill...

James

• Like 1

So, the D class is now here at work with me- where it needs quite some bits and bobs adding to take it from where it is to runnable.  I have what appear to be a pair of running power units (I have to try them on air...), the boiler/girder portion, well tank, smokebox and some of the platework.  The next on my list of things to deal with is ordering a bunch of fittings to start on the pipework.  Intent as it is right now is to go with 3 injectors- a pair of 4 pint/min, and a 11 oz/min.  No axle or hand pump.  Other than that, it will be the blower, throttle, and a whistle.  Provision for the possible fitting of a Turbo-Alternator is on my list as well.

I'm not sure if I will use a COTS pressure gauge, or a model one.  COTS has the advantage of probably being more accurate, as well as definitely more available.

I snapped a couple photos last night, but since I'm back behind the great Canadian Firewall, I can't post them until tomorrow at the earlierst.

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peach james said:

I snapped a couple photos last night, but since I'm back behind the great Canadian Firewall, I can't post them until tomorrow at the earlierst.

James, what’s the problem? I don’t have any difficulty posting photos.

I'm at work...that's the problem :)  So I'm behind the DND firewall, and can't put in any images from my computer to DND computer to post them.  No other problems...

• Informative/Useful 1

So, as promised:

Flickr page:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQHeVWz

Note, at some point I will end up converting to a video of stills in there- probably at about 20 photos.

Lets start with the big loco:

50350810787_74e34039a9_c.jpg

The 2nd power bogie is at home, now thoroughly buried under other stuff.   It's 5" gauge, and was built for/by a dentist on the isle of wight in the 70's. n't think dad has much more details.  It was the 4th loco that was built, for a J shaped layout that ended in a pond at one end (apparently, to the detriment of the K-37 like loco that had to be fished out at least once !) .  The workmanship and design details are quite interesting, and it is well built.  Is about 1/3rd full size- its a 5" model of a 24" gauge loco...

50350780387_26450db1e1_c.jpg

This is the bridge- to give an idea of scale, the timbers are 3 1/2" squares.  (nominal 4x4's) There is about a yard of concrete in each of the abutments.  The level on the RHS is a bit high, this is one of the 2 fixed points for height.  The other is about 150' by roadbed away, and will be the driveway level crossing.  Dirt has not yet been compacted, I need the bike gang to do so.  (my two kids had been using the berms as a bike path...).  Intent is to dig out the middle by about 18" down at the beams, so it should give between 5' and 6' clear under the bridge.  This is to allow access to the rear of the property- there is about 1/3rd of an Acre (or 1/6th of a Ha) back there.  Our "agricultural outbuilding" (barn) is back there.

50350624341_29c7e5126d_c.jpg

(3x 4x4's for the bridge), date on abutment.  

50350625206_1009c51c77_c.jpg 

8'6" sea can, will end up probably with storage being put into it for the big loco.  The barn is on the right

49999303521_9613c2ba44_c.jpgUntitled by Peach James, on Flickr

Only ONE mistake... in cement !

• Like 2