3D printing - Elegoo Mars resin

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Did you get the Mercury Plus, ie the washing and curing device? Or just the Mercury (which just cures), IMO the latter is grossly overpriced, the washing bit is the useful one. 

That is a bargain for the Mars 2 though, lucky I didn’t spot that! I see replacement screens came into stock too (and then sold out) but at least the consumables are starting to trickle through.  

No just Mercury didn't see plus version, just checked not on Amazon paid £60 for it used vouchers been saving up for a while.

Mars 2 was £182.75

Edited by Tricky-CRS
extra info

• RMweb Premium

The Mercury Plus is a chunk more expensive admittedly, £115 on Amazon. The Anycubic equivalent has been more like £80-90, but may have now run out, with the replacement costing more than the Mercury Plus.

Personally I find the wash bit much more useful, particularly as we come into summer, and you can use the sun to cure prints! I had a Mercury-esque curing station before I bought the wash and cure, and the internal dimensions were a bit restrictive too, it didn't work for larger items as there just wasn't enough room; give thought to what your largest prints will be and whether they'll fit. The Wash & Cure is much bigger than the curing station I had. That had a separate lamp though, so you could use it handheld, which I do still do with some prints.

Unfortunately the printer is going back where it came from, ordered the green coloured Elegoo Mars 2 opened box to red Elegoo Mars Pro. 

I would have been happy if it had been a Mars 2 Pro but really wanted the mono screen and newer spec machine.

The cure machine is here so will have to make do and see how I get on working in N Gauge so size won't matter yet.

• RMweb Gold

I did a couple of small prints - couplers and lineside boxes - before launching on a “big” N scale signal on an Elegoo Mars Pro 2.   I was very happy with the detail when it finished printing.   No supports, just eight of them vertical on the build plate.  Fantastic bit of kit......

E58D9BE4-E9FA-47B2-A69E-BFA5A363C235.jpeg

D1AD75FB-104B-4FBC-890B-F015F7BFD40C.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tricky-CRS said:

Unfortunately the printer is going back where it came from, ordered the green coloured Elegoo Mars 2 opened box to red Elegoo Mars Pro. 

I would have been happy if it had been a Mars 2 Pro but really wanted the mono screen and newer spec machine.

The cure machine is here so will have to make do and see how I get on working in N Gauge so size won't matter yet.

Yep, I'm N gauge too, but still found bogie wagons (for example) too big to fit in the chamber. It does look like the Mercury is a bit bigger than the one I had, so should be alright.

Shame about the printer. 100% right to get the Mars 2, not the original Pro.

• Thanks 1

What is happening here?

I’ve been having some problems recently printing files which have previously printed fine. Both sets of prints have the same features, including a series of unintended grooves across the surface. The horses were printed as a set of three and consistently the third one simply hasn’t even started to print. 

The printer is an Elegoo Mars Pro, using a new well shaken bottle of Elegoo ABS like resin, in a room at around 20 degrees. The files have been prepared using Citubox 1.8.1, the previously successful prints used an earlier version, on macOS BigSur 11.2.1

1996EC0C-96B8-4466-B25B-9963FAD59012_1_105_c.jpeg

D7DE2493-F515-4831-8D55-33C864E9B666_1_105_c.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 18.56.21.png

Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 18.56.07.png

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, if nothing else has changed, has the temperature of the resin changed? I know on the Anycubic Photon X, a drop in temperature can cause splitting like that on your horses.

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 21:23, mudmagnet said:

The first issue was that I had not levelled the build plate properly, once that was sorted, the test print supplied worked well.

The issue with the small part not working as that I had not arranged the orientation / supports correctly.

It's all a learning process at the moment and will be printing some more bits tomorrow.

I am using 60s base exposure as per the test piece, but will see how this goes for the moment. Can always try a longer exposure.

I have had some distortion on some parts, so not sure what that can be at the moment - only at the 'bottom', i.e. by the supports.

I too have a Mars 2 Pro. Also experimenting with settings. With prints which have a high surface area, I also get distortion of the lower levels. I thought it might be because of insufficient supports, but maybe I need to change lift and retract speed? At the moment they are 80 and 210, with bottom lift speed of 60. Don't know how this compares with others? The bottom exposure time was also set to 35s so I've changed that to 80s to try on the next print.

I also had to change the FEP as it developed a small hole and resin leaked and cured onto the screen. I managed to remove most of it although it looks grubby and a bit scratched. I also managed in the process to pierce the protective film on the LCD. Can I remove it all, or doesn't it matter?

Would greatly appreciate comments on other's experiences. 

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2021 at 12:05, Tricky said:

I too have a Mars 2 Pro. Also experimenting with settings. With prints which have a high surface area, I also get distortion of the lower levels. I thought it might be because of insufficient supports, but maybe I need to change lift and retract speed? At the moment they are 80 and 210, with bottom lift speed of 60. Don't know how this compares with others? The bottom exposure time was also set to 35s so I've changed that to 80s to try on the next print.

I also had to change the FEP as it developed a small hole and resin leaked and cured onto the screen. I managed to remove most of it although it looks grubby and a bit scratched. I also managed in the process to pierce the protective film on the LCD. Can I remove it all, or doesn't it matter?

Would greatly appreciate comments on other's experiences. 

Hi

I can't remember off hand which settings I use, but around 80sec bottom layers is about right, then 8 to 10 secs on layers, 45 lift speed and 10 lift height. I would need to double check what settings I have used.

I use Elegoo ABS like grey resin, although have used Anycubic clear and needed to alter the settings to suit.

I have two machines, but oddly enough, even using the same files, one machine is slower than the other. Both however, give good results.

10 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

Hi

I can't remember off hand which settings I use, but around 80sec bottom layers is about right, then 8 to 10 secs on layers, 45 lift speed and 10 lift height. I would need to double check what settings I have used.

I use Elegoo ABS like grey resin, although have used Anycubic clear and needed to alter the settings to suit.

I have two machines, but oddly enough, even using the same files, one machine is slower than the other. Both however, give good results.

Thanks. I have another difficulty that has happened today - even though the build plate is properly zerod, when I send something to print, the plate comes down, finds zero as normal and then starts to print. However, with subsequent layers after that the plate comes up too far and doesn't come down into the vat, so layers just print on the FEP. Any ideas?!

• RMweb Gold

I have spend hours drawing and printing various items over the last few weeks and plenty more to get done.

An example are these Sulzer pistons and frame, in both 4mm and 7mm scales. The pistons are printed individually, inclined on the build plate and the frames are similarly printed. inclined in one plane and then rolled a little in the perpendicular plane, with plenty of supports!

20210130_190626.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

My gut feeling is the chimneys need more supports.

Hmm. I have managed to print them before, but a) I can’t remember the settings and b) these ones have a hole in the base as they are lying in their sides as a wagon load. Do you mean just more supports? I tried them yesterday and nothing printed at all!!

• RMweb Premium

The exact printer is significant - the Mars Pro has a more powerful array than the standard Mars. 

I don’t really change my settings for anything I’m printing. On my standard Mars I do 60 seconds base, 8.5 seconds standard exposure, and I think 80/80/120 base/lift/retract speeds. That with Anycubic black/Siraya Tenacious mixed resin. But actually I used the same settings when I used grey in that printer. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 06:27, jdb82 said:

I've just started using my Mars Pro, and printed my first print with it yesterday (the standard 'rook' test piece that comes with it). Being a rookie at this too, I'm not in much of a position to give advice......however one thing that I read, and that makes a lot of sense, is the temperature in which you are trying to print. My printer is in the garage as I don't have space in the house, and therefore at this time of year, it's pretty cold. I have made a little temperature controlled heating unit which I bolted through the lid. How effective it is will be established over time, but on yesterdays evidence, it seemed to work pretty well. I can send you the links to all the bits I used if you want them.

IMG_2509.JPG.de8c15d13d0f71fa3801ff8049d762f8.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG.d94191da0a01662a3ef9315a4d8ba9f9.JPG

Could you post how you made the temperature control and fitted it?

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I’ve never found Monocure for a sensible price. There are a few European sellers, but obviously that’s a bit of a lottery at the moment. As per your other thread I’d suggest Siraya Tech Tenacious, which is available from Amazon, and whilst not cheap it lasts a long time. 

Anycubic resin is also a bit of an issue since Brexit. I used to buy via AliExpress and it would be despatched from Spain. That avenue is now closed, but they don’t seem to have set up a reliable UK distribution.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, njee20 said:

I’ve never found Monocure for a sensible price. There are a few European sellers, but obviously that’s a bit of a lottery at the moment. As per your other thread I’d suggest Siraya Tech Tenacious, which is available from Amazon, and whilst not cheap it lasts a long time. 

Anycubic resin is also a bit of an issue since Brexit. I used to buy via AliExpress and it would be despatched from Spain. That avenue is now closed, but they don’t seem to have set up a reliable UK distribution.

The Monocure factory is 10000 miles from you, but a 20 minute drive from my work!

Its usually us down here who can't get stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, sorry, I realise you’re in their neck of the woods (indeed we’ve discussed it before), I should have caveated that I’ve never seen it well priced in the UK. Its £100/litre on Amazon!

4 hours ago, njee20 said:

Yes, sorry, I realise you’re in their neck of the woods (indeed we’ve discussed it before), I should have caveated that I’ve never seen it well priced in the UK. Its £100/litre on Amazon!

Oops, I wasn't trying to correct you on anything -  its just that I so  rarely get the chance to get something cheaper than the rest of the world, (other than maybe those souvenir  bottle openers made from dead roo paws...)  that I just can't help myself mentioning it whenever I get the chance!

• Like 1