Lima Class 47's

Ok so I run a very small 6ft x 14 inch Scottish based TMD. I would like to get peoples opinions on running older locos, having them detailed and sound installed.

As I dont run a continuous loop or haul large trains, do the Lima locos still do a decent enough job, or should I be looking at just Bachmann and Heljan?

Most of the Lima D & E models offer a excellent basis for detailing. Mechanically they are politely described as 'rugged' - they use a Ringfield motor with traction tyres, pickups generally from one bogie each side (although later issues such as the 47 and 37 had additional pickups) and a great big lump of pig iron for weight. I know many disagree, but for romping around a layout they still do the job for me. However, if you want to do shunting or low speeds they really don't compete with modern mechanisms, so it is not uncommon to re-engine them - either with CD motors is the Ringfield housing or transplanting central drive through both bogie mechanisms - a number of Lima 31s have benefited form mechanisms recovered from Hornby 31s that suffered 'mazak rot'.

I'll let others comment on sound installation.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whilst the Lima brush 4 is dimensionally challenged in a few places it still conveys the overall "look" quite well.

True, the issue comes if you try to add etched replacement parts accurate for a 47 but not specifically designed for the Lima model and find as I did the roof grille was too wide.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

True, the issue comes if you try to add etched replacement parts accurate for a 47 but not specifically designed for the Lima model and find as I did the roof grille was too wide.

Although some things as you say are not easily remedied, the cab window surrounds intended for the Bachmann version improve things somewhat with a bit of filing here and there.

Mike.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wouldn't bother with sound - but then I wouldn't bother with sound on any loco! I think if you're going down the road of investing money in fitting something with sound though, you're better off going with something that has the smooth slow running to match, especially on a depot layout. Most of my Lima stuff that still has original motors runs fine, will start and stop smoothly, etc, but it will never be as good at crawling around a depot layout as a loco with a modern mechanism, which is what you really need for a TMD.

If you were on a very tight budget and just wanted locos then they're probably good enough, especially if you're prepared to invest time and money buying good runners and selling on the less good ones. If you're wanting to synchronise sound, fit details and I guess fit lights too, plus potentially remotor them, you might as well just go with the newer Bachmann, Heljan or ViTrains ones which already have more detail and lights and by the time you've paid for all the parts the price difference will be negligable.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, JDW said:

I wouldn't bother with sound - but then I wouldn't bother with sound on any loco! I think if you're going down the road of investing money in fitting something with sound though, you're better off going with something that has the smooth slow running to match, especially on a depot layout. Most of my Lima stuff that still has original motors runs fine, will start and stop smoothly, etc, but it will never be as good at crawling around a depot layout as a loco with a modern mechanism, which is what you really need for a TMD.

If you were on a very tight budget and just wanted locos then they're probably good enough, especially if you're prepared to invest time and money buying good runners and selling on the less good ones. If you're wanting to synchronise sound, fit details and I guess fit lights too, plus potentially remotor them, you might as well just go with the newer Bachmann, Heljan or ViTrains ones which already have more detail and lights and by the time you've paid for all the parts the price difference will be negligable.

I had just the same thoughts on reading the original question.

In my own case I have some old locos, and a drawer with a good collection of etched bits and pieces, so doing the locos up makes sense. If I were starting from scratch I'd go for the newer locos from any of the main manufacturer, and wouldn't bother to tinker with the oldies. Moreover, as also said above, for crawling around a depot you really need silky smooth slow running, my own layout is quite large and basically is a running track for main line trains, so the slow speed perfection isn't really important (although I do my best!).

If you are recently back in the hobby, there are some useful threads on locos under the various Manufacturers sections on the Forum, which might be instructive before you part with your dosh!

John.

• Like 1

The Hornby Railroad 47 with an improved smooth running motor bogie is around £70 new, half the price of a Bachmann 47,  the Hornby chassis accepts older Lima bodies provided the glazing units are swapped over, the glazing units were modified to give clearance for the improved motor bogie

Edited by Pandora
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1