Insurance claims

Hi everyone

During Covid I had to move out of the family home as I was redeployed to work on a Covid Positive ward and wanted to protect my family.

On returning home I found an elderly relative had 'tidied up' my layout 'for safe keeping' while i was away. In doing so they caused considerable damage to stock etc I've added up the damage to locomotives and rolling stock e.g. stacking Hornby class 60 locomotives loose on top of each other and so on wrecking detailing parts and in several cases cracking either the body or chassis. 

Does anyone have any experience of claiming for model railway items on general household insurance?

I know it's covered however the latest estimate has totalled the damage in excess of £2000! Does this mean I'll need loss adjusters? The collection is up to 30 years old and I certainly havent got receipts that far back and also certain pieces are irreplaceable such as a Great Gathering Sir Nigel Gresley at prices similar to those when bought new. Sorry if this rambles!

Matt

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

No direct experience but one would need accidental damage to be included on the policy for this sort of loss to even be considered.  It is a specific exclusion from many policies unless paid for as an optional add-on.  Some policies also exclude or have limits on "collections" which are intended to limit their liability in the event of a (more valuable) collection of items such as a coin or antique collection being claimed for.  The precise definition of a "collection" might be given in your policy or may be at the insurer's discretion.  

What is the policy excess?  A loss estimated at £2000 needs to be set against your own contribution which would typically be much less than that figure but in some other cases may make it not worth claiming.  

Whether you need an assessor (the current term for a loss adjustor) would be for the insurer to decide.  As it is not reasonable to keep receipts for such a long period of time are there photos of the items in a previously-undamaged condition?  And can you establish the new-for-old replacement value of irreparably damaged items?  I know you say "irreplaceable" but the value would be what was paid or what would be paid were the item available today factoring in inflation.  

My rolling stock is not listed as a collection.  Certain pieces are specified individually.  Most is simply covered by the general household policy.  Insurers don't know what they are covering, specifically, under such policies until a claim is made and they will need to see evidence of before-and-after condition and establish by some means the true value of your loss.  

Posted with 11 years industry experience managing insurance claims and with the rider that this is general advice because all policies and losses differ.  Please let us know how you get on.  

• RMweb Premium

Have you considered stacking your elderly relatives on top of each other to see how they like it?!

The basic answer is that you’ll have to ask your insurer, as it’ll vary. A £2,000 home insurance claim is small change, so I’d expect a cursory amount of proof to be needed, but not loss adjusters etc. 

• Like 1

Read your policy very carefully before considering a claim. I would pay particular attention to the status of the elderly relative, both their health and the terms on which they live in your home.

With all our elders now in care homes - some over several years - I have heard many stories relating to other families, and one was very sad indeed. An 'In the family' arrangement by which elderly mother paid (toward the mortgage used to buy the necessary larger house): she was ruled to be an undeclared tenant, and the significant damage she accidentally caused while left unsupervised was not covered.

Hi, what a terrible thing to happen, through no fault of your own. A lot is going to depend on who your insurer is, and how long you have been with them. You certainly wont need a loss adjuster, claim is far too small.. I have my collection, under All Riska, as a specified item, with a  paragraph about new for old.  Let us know how you get on. A lot will depend on their understanding of accidental damage.