Has ever a Class 55 Deltic been to Skegness?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I think it’s highly unlikely but I was wondering if a Class 55 Deltic has ever appeared at Skegness either in BR era or preservation?  If there had been one during BR’s time, I’m sure it would be on a Adex or relief service, certainly not a scheduled service.

I know 40’s and 45’s did and because of their weight, did they have any restrictions put on them and because the Class 55’s we’re marginally lighter, we’re they allowed to venture to Skegness?

2 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

Deltics had a quite remarkable RA 5, meaning they got to quite a number of unlikely places, including Oban on a couple of occasions in 1981, on ordinary Merrymaker excursions, not railtours.

One even did the Cambrian Coast, pre ertms... that comparatively low axle weight allowed it over Barmouth Bridge. A mate of mine suggested Network Rail should have hired a couple, painted them yellow, and used them as the support locomotives instead of the 37/97's ;)

On 13/09/2020 at 22:51, Ben B said:

One even did the Cambrian Coast, pre ertms... that comparatively low axle weight allowed it over Barmouth Bridge. A mate of mine suggested Network Rail should have hired a couple, painted them yellow, and used them as the support locomotives instead of the 37/97's ;)

In Peter Rayner's biography he mentions a discussion to use them as a stop gap on the line, it's years since I read the book so I can't remember the details but it must relate to a time after their ECML days were almost finished.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Napier-chronichles has the booked/possible Deltic turns:

1981/82 timetable:

1D07 10:20 King's Cross - Skegness (SO, 20/06-19/09)

1A38 11:05 Skegness - King's Cross (SO, 20/06-19/09). 

1980/81:

1D07 10:15 King's Cross - Skegness (SO - 21/6-20/9)

1A38 11:05 Skegness - King's Cross (SO - 21/6-20/9)

1979/80:

1D07 09:12 King's Cross - Skegness.

1A38 13:35 Skegness -King's Cross.

(These are under 'weekdays' i.e. M-S, with no defined period)

Edited by keefer

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

...and the Heart of Wales line in 2017.  17Jun 2017 Llandeilo on a Burton on Trent - Shrewsbury working (66's are banned from working the full length of the line)

rev D9009 Llandeilo b 17Jun17 1Z52 Burton-Shrews.jpg

Nice shot, but looks like the branch needs a visit from the weedkiller train!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2020 at 20:40, Jeremy C said:

Deltics had a quite remarkable RA 5, meaning they got to quite a number of unlikely places, including Oban on a couple of occasions in 1981, on ordinary Merrymaker excursions, not railtours.

D9019 made it to Inverness in April 1969. Worked a regiment/troop train south.