What Scatter Material for Hedges?

I am new to Railway modelling.

What Scenic Scatter would you recommend for foliage with rubberised horsehair?

I am making hedges on my OO layout with the horsehair. 

A BRM video on the subject uses Woodland Scenics course & fine scatter of different shades of green. 

Which ones? There are so many scatter materials available plus flock also?

I just want to be able to sprinkle the scatter material over the Horsehair/PVA glue to create the right effect.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

To give you an honest answer, pretty much any scatter will do. I usually use GreenScene (Worcester) and Woodland Scenics (WS). Coarse and/or fine scatter are equally OK. Colour is probably more important than brand or sub-type. And decisions on that really is in the eye of the beholder. Fifty shades of grey has been misquoted a lot in modelling, fifty shades of green could also be used. You can always mix your own, for instance with WS I mix their fine scatters 'green grass' and 'burnt grass' to provide a more muted shade. You can use these for bushes and trees as well.  

'Flock' fibres are more for grass groundcover than hedges. Unless you're doing a hawthorn hedge in winter or spring and that doesn't sound your thing. 

If at all possible, when shopping in person, look at the scatter(s) in the same light as your layout - some scatters vary in colour depending on the type of lighting. 

For specifics, I like the WS 'green grass' and 'burnt grass', GreenScene, GS111, Bramble, Riverbank, Midsummer or for really intense greens, GS129 or GS130. I also use Faller 171310 and 171409. 

You may wish to consider using hairspray (unscented) as a spray adhesive as well as PVA (presumably applied with a brush)? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Previously, for hedges, I have used scouring pads cut into strips, hairspray, and Woodland Scenics blended turf:

Yes gets my vote as well.  Only difference is I cut the scouring pad into small sections, then stick the flat sections of the (cut) pad together to form a strip.  Soak it in diluted PVA and then add Green Scene scatter.  Hedge on the left in photo below is an example of finished article.  It also depends on whether you want a rough looking hedge or one that is maintained.  Huge choice of scatter materials available, and agree that colour is more important than brand   

IMG_3841.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gopher said:

Only difference is I cut the scouring pad into small sections, then stick the flat sections of the (cut) pad together to form a strip.

Yeah I forgot to mention that after cutting the pan-scourer into strips I pull the layers apart to give the hedge some width:

grindleford-scenery062.jpg.1dc753040ecc354ee66ef63001004eb8.jpg

grindleford-scenery063.jpg.1f0845ca518370b7e9839e51c73b56b9.jpg

Al.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...