GWR/Western Region Island Platforms

puffingbilly51

• RMweb Premium

Shiplake on the Henley branch is an example of an island platform off a level crossing. It started out as a wayside platform but became an island when the branch was doubled only to revert to its original condition, albeit with the attractive buildings demolished, when it was singled again.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Tintern on the Chepstow - Monmouth branch had three platforms of which two formed an island platform.

The site along with the station building and signal box still exist. The station building is a nice cafe.

Gordon A

An interesting case. The signalling diagram shows that the loop behind the island platform was a goods loop - so it would not be a real island platform. And yet the position of the canopy and platform seating would indicate it being used for passenger traffic. I suspect that this would have been for occasional use by excursion trains.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Not if it's signalled as a goods loop and doesn't have facing point locks.  It might have served for stabling the empty stock, but not while the passengers were aboard.

I forgot to check for FPLs. Will take a look.

But there were ringed signals and trap points which definitely indicates usual use being goods. FPLs are not compulsory for occasional passenger working. One can use clip and padlock as was done at Sidmouth Jct.

Edit: Just checked and there were FPLs for trains to enter the loop from either direction.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I forgot to check for FPLs. Will take a look.

But there were ringed signals and trap points which definitely indicates usual use being goods. FPLs are not compulsory for occasional passenger working. One can use clip and padlock as was done at Sidmouth Jct.

Edit: Just checked and there were FPLs for trains to enter the loop from either direction.

And to leave in one direction where there is definitely an FPL on the diagram and it is also easily seen in an old photo of the station.    But of course what the diagram doesn't show is if loop entry points were bolted in both positions but Im certain it would have been at at least one end if not both.  As there is an exit signal at each end of the loop technically an occasional  passenger train could pass over the trap point which did not have an FPL without it being clipped although anybody with any sense would inevitably have clipped the points for a loaded passenger train.

Legally facing points which were passed over by a regular service of passenger trains were required to have both a facing point lock and a lock bar (or track circuit) to prevent the points being moved under a train.  Occasional use by a passenger train was however not regarded in quite the same way.  At one time a record had to be kept off such movements but that is going back a long, long, way.

Tintern and the Wye Valley was a regular destination for excursions so I'm pretty sure that the goods loop would have regularly been used to receive them and for them to depart - hence the FPL at one end.

• Informative/Useful 2

As my proposed 'Twll Cach' will be an island platform in the South Wales valleys, I briefly looked for some examples, the following were some I found and which don't appear to have featured in this thread.

Tynycwm in the Western Valleys, another island platform; accessed by footbridge..

Cymmer Afan - post 1960; accessed by footbridge..

Pentir Rhiw on the B&M - as small an island platform station as you'll get, accessed by board crossing, no road access at all.

Six Bells; accessed by footbridge..

Celynen North; accessed by footbridge..

Worthy Down on the GWR's D.N. & S. accessed by board crossing

Brian R

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1