Smokebox door dart: what colour?

Ollie K

A real novice question here I'm sure, but what colour of (brush-applied) paint would the forum recommend for OO brass smokebox door dart/handles, please?

p2_cockothenorth.gif.be3b7b7c96d8f6f60becb417ba52261d.gif

I've ordered a couple of Markits darts to fit to my damaged Hornby A3 and P2, and I'd like the result to match the silvery-grey 'polished' steel smokebox door straps, as per ex-works LNER tradition. Is Humbrol 27003 Polished Steel Metalcote a good bet, and would experienced folks recommend priming such a small component first?

Thanks,

Ollie

• RMweb Premium

In that picture it's polished so I'd suggest bright steel/aluminium by brush (silver paint always seems to come out like cheap chrome when I've brushed it)

Generally a gun metal/black depending on how warn it is meant to be. They are used at least twice every day a loco is in steam so they don't get dirty/corrode.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If I want brass smokebox door handles to look like polished steel I tin them thinly with solder before fixing them in place.  The solder can then be polished with a fibreglass brush or similar, and looks more like bare metal than paint does.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, 31A said:

If I want brass smokebox door handles to look like polished steel I tin them thinly with solder before fixing them in place.  The solder can then be polished with a fibreglass brush or similar, and looks more like bare metal than paint does.

That sounds like just the effect I'm after. Since I've two door handle assemblies to fix, I'll perhaps try one of each.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1