Cambrian Rlys Wagon numbers

MarcD

I'm trying to find out were I would get hold of wagon numbers for a number of types of Cambrian wagons. Does anyone know who is the best person to ask?

The wagons are: 2plk Drop-side, 2plk fixed side (wooden underframe), 4plk opens with of without sheet rail and the 4plks that were rebuilt as coke wagons.

Thanks in anticipation.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

The attached is as far as I have got and I am not guaranteeing its complete correctness. It is difficult to find information, especially about earlier Cambrian built wagons which had been replaced before the grouping. I need the information myself, but am not hopeful of finding it.

Jonathan

Cambrian Railways wagons at the Grouping.doc

Hi Johnathan,

I transferred the data to a spreadsheet so I can search it.  I should have all formatting done tonight. Lots of info in there. I've got a few more Cambrian drawings in the box. This adds a couple of extra pieces of the jigsaw.

Do you want a copy of the spreadsheet when it's done?

Marc

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Hi Johnathan,

I transferred the data to a spreadsheet so I can search it.  I should have all formatting done tonight. Lots of info in there. I've got a few more Cambrian drawings in the box. This adds a couple of extra pieces of the jigsaw.

Do you want a copy of the spreadsheet when it's done?

Marc

Marc

I could do with a copy of the spreadsheet as well if you can manage it.

Cheers

Nigel

• RMweb Premium

We (the WRRC) have already published two books in the series, Rhymney (actually by Lightmoor) and Barry.

There are plans for others, two Cambrian (because of the amount of stock owned) and two for the Taff Vale later - again a bigger company. There may one day be one for the B&M but I may not live to see it.

But the problem with the Cambrian is that Mike has a nice selection of drawings but they leave big gaps, whereas for the first two we had drawings of almost all the locos and a good selection of carriages and wagons (there were a few additions made to the Barry book).

So I have been looking for other drawings. I am waiting for some from the HMRS but they have been delayed by lockdown and lack of access to the Museum & Study Centre. The split between the volumes will be 1892 as that is when the Cambrian started modernising. For volume 1 I have drawings for almost all the locos, the big gap being the 1859 Mixed Passenger class for which the only drawing I know is  the outline on page 27 of the New History. There are also some of the odd Manning Wardles missing but I am not worried about those; as well as some of those owned by Savin in the early days which were never owned by the company.

At the moment my collection of carriage drawings is pretty thin, as that is mainly what I am hoping to get from the HMRS; and I have not really looked at wagons, though Mike Lloyd produced very few drawings.

The other source I have not yet been able to look into is Birmingham archives. They used to be very helpful and provided copies by post but there were staff cutbacks before the current pandemic and now there is no hope of being able to visit.

My original hope was to see the first volume published next year, but it is now likely to be 2022 at the earliest.

BTW I do not claim to know that much about the Cambrian. I volunteered for the volume because I am on the WRRC Publications Working Group and act as production editor; and no-one else wanted to take it on - and i have moved to mid Wales.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Furness Railway and the Cambrian shared a lot of common stock types I've used Cambrian drawings for some of our Furness kit and vice versa. Especially for 4 wheel coaches.

The OPC drawings in the NRM in York are very good as is the metcamm archive in Birmingham but that is duplicated with the HMRS archive.

Still working on the spreadsheet.

Marc

• Like 2