As yet unnamed layout - 00 Wagon Works and Inglenook

johnsmithuk

I'm meant to be on nightshift tonight, but had a brainwave so had to act on it.

I have built a trolley and place to drill through to put some chains to give the impression of a chain block crane.

I used some I-beam cut in two to hook over the main I-beam, then built up layers underneath. 

It clips onto the main I-beam lovely, and can be removed to paint, weather and then pose if required.

Picture below. 

20201211_141549.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve1 said:

Is that scratchbuilt or a kit please?

Thanks

steve

It is a kit I bought from ebay, if you need more details I can dig them out.

Tolerances are tight and goes together easy.

I have no connection to the seller.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst in a soldering mood, I did this too.

All conections have been tested, and show a good curcuit. 

A couple of singed fingers whilst doing the last switch told me I had done enough for today. 

I will continue after my next work cycle.

20210104_152804.jpg

Edited by johnsmithuk
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Andrew D said:

Hi John, have been following your build with interest. The scratch built jig is genius! Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Thank you for taking an interest in someone as ham-fisted as me, muddling/modeling my way through.

------

In other news, the first piece of track is down. The point rod thing moves smoothly on its motor, and just needs power. In time honored style, the track screws I put away safely are nowhere to be seen.

Thanks for reading.

John

20210111_151652.jpg

• Like 1

A new toy arrived today.  The replacement track screws are on their way.

I have assembled the gantry, and mocked up a scene, using the full inglenook sidings. The white blocks represent buffers, as the two sidings have been cut short, and lifted as part of the Beeching *spit* cuts. 

The signals will be appropriately weathered, and ideally put a red and green light on the one running line.

A few pictures below.

Thanks for reading. 

John

20210113_135707.jpg

20210113_145436.jpg

20210113_160110.jpg

20210113_160119.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2020 at 19:38, johnsmithuk said:

Quick update. 

Today I drilled two holes in the baseboard, to start fitting point motors and laying track.

20201215_193404.jpg

20201215_193412.jpg

just noticed the additional plate between the baseboard and the seep motor.  Look at interesting item.   Is it 3d printed?

8 minutes ago, beejack said:

just noticed the additional plate between the baseboard and the seep motor.  Look at interesting item.   Is it 3d printed?

It is, I purchesed them 4 for £10 from ebay. They seem to give some wiggle room when fitting the seeps.

I have no conection with the seller, other than being a satisfied customer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333779875070

• 4 weeks later...

Like Lazarus hearing of a 50% off sale at DFS, I'm back.

Taking advantage of some spare time, I have had a go at adding some lighting to the workshop that came with my Metcalfe enging shed. This was always going to be my experimentation subject, so time for a ritual sacrifice. 

I built a frame for inside the hut using plasticard, for holding the LED's as the hut has no internal structure to take advantage of. I added some feet to the frame to help with stability. 

I knocked up a small curcuit that would stop the two yellow LED's from burning out from my 12v supply.

Continued in the next post.

20210212_142826.jpg

20210212_154158.jpg

Continuing the plasticard theme I used small strips to hold the LED's in place. The wires were removed from the terminal block and extended. After fixing them to the frame, and drilling a hole in the hut floor, it was showtime.

Success, the hut has light.

Lessons learnt. 

1. The extended wires cannot be too long.

2. A bigger resister would give a glow rather than spotlight feel.

3. Some tracing paper on the windows will calm down the hard light from the LED. Or make a lampshade type device.

Thanks for reading.

John

20210212_160320.jpg

20210212_160217.jpg

20210212_160211.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update time again.

I did some surgery to a Hornby class 06 Pullman. Following a few different youtube tutorials, but mainly Bunters Yard, I transplanted a 4-pin DCC decoder into the chassis. Amazingly it worked straight away.

Here is some evidence, the slow running is amazing, depending how quick this loco ran on even the lowest DC input.

Layout news, I just have the two points that form the inglenook to lay, and a few more point motors to install. The first of the inspection pits has been fitted to existing track, and now just need to find the guys to hack a hole in the baseboard to install it.

Thanks for reading.

John

20210216_123632.jpg

20210304_115914.jpg

• Like 2