• RMweb Premium

I visited Newtown station today for the first time for six months. As reported previously, Newtown Station Travel has closed. There have never been ticket machines, because they were not needed. 

On 23 April TFW applied to Powys CC for Listed Building Consent to install two ticket machines, one on each platform. This was eventually granted on 7 September.

I rather suspect though that TfW expected a response rather quicker than this as there is a notice at the station with which it is impossible to comply.

PICT0194.JPG.46960deef2e314539e76e4b075339131.JPG

Do you think the absence of a machine would be sufficient to avoid a fine for not buying a ticket?

Powys CC triumphs again.

Jonathan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Do you think the absence of a machine would be sufficient to avoid a fine for not buying a ticket?

Of course.

You are supposed to "find a member of staff as soon as possible", but really all that means is that you must not deliberately avoid the member of staff who walks through the train asking for tickets, or who collects tickets at your destination, and it is impossible to see a prosecution succeeding if you have not actively avoided trying to pay. The notice says nothing about penalty fares, so one cannot be imposed (unless this is on another notice).

Edited by Jeremy C

• RMweb Premium

It's so long since I travelled on a train (Nairn <-> Inverness 2002 probably) that I'm not sure how you buy tickets these days :mellow:

The notice does list alternatives for paying, so absence of a ticket machine isn't an excuse, although inconvenient if you were expecting a machine.

• RMweb Premium

I find it disappointing, to say the least, though, that Powys took six months to deal with the planning application for something which must have been completely uncontroversial. Presumably this caught out TfW. I daren't ask whether Powys has told TfW the result of the application. On another planning matter they recently blamed Covid for not doing anything (such as sending a letter).

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 1