Mk1 catering vehicles with etched sides on Bachmann coaches - Mk1 RF to start

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MJI said:

Was trying to link to this

R1.JPG

Ah clever! Have got what I need for RF from a scrap RU ... but Bacchy have no spares so had better watch out for another cheap SH one .... although with the new Hornby RBs coming along there may be an opportunity to reappraise our stock.....

Todays progress , roof and underframe  done, time to look at interior this evening as waiting for Frogmore hinges and etched grab rails from dart castings before sides get painted....

8B62DBE3-45BA-473B-8D19-24E70CFCEBAC.jpeg

D3AE64BF-73E0-43D2-B9EE-F23A40A7EE5D.jpeg

4723EE98-A27B-4390-BD4B-5C263071DB9A.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah clever! Have got what I need for RF from a scrap RU ... but Bacchy have no spares so had better watch out for another cheap SH one .... although with the new Hornby RBs coming along there may be an opportunity to reappraise our stock.....

Todays progress , roof and underframe  done, time to look at interior this evening as waiting for Frogmore hinges and etched grab rails from dart castings before sides get painted....

8B62DBE3-45BA-473B-8D19-24E70CFCEBAC.jpeg

D3AE64BF-73E0-43D2-B9EE-F23A40A7EE5D.jpeg

4723EE98-A27B-4390-BD4B-5C263071DB9A.jpeg

Was the Magnadhesion already fitted or is this your own mod?

Coat, gone, hat stays.

Regards

Ian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha don’t know why they did that! 

Never mind.... last nights project was the interior, again cannibalised from the RU but requiring some work.... lacking passenger entrance vestibule, internal partitions, additional pantry space and seats at wrong pitch.

So had to cut and shut to get vestibule in and maintain screw hole locations .... two cuts made and new sections added in. Partitions added at both ends of passenger saloons and seat positions moved... additional pantry area added in too.

Happy with this, just needs finishing touches.... tempted to raid SWMBOs quilting fabric stash to see if anything might pass for carpet and coir matting. 

Good fun!

C155DD0F-33E0-4374-BE2B-64DEE2167A50.jpeg

7BAEA4FB-6247-4EB7-9957-B797709CC036.jpeg

• Like 3

Following this with much interest as I have a Mk.1 dia.17 RF under construction, using Comet sides on an old Mainline RB bodyshell.  I suspect the Mainline RB roof profile isn't quite right but I got the body years ago as a spare for just such a project....

Alasdair

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, AJCT said:

Following this with much interest as I have a Mk.1 dia.17 RF under construction, using Comet sides on an old Mainline RB bodyshell.  I suspect the Mainline RB roof profile isn't quite right but I got the body years ago as a spare for just such a project....

Alasdair

Glad to hear you are finding this useful Alasdair... I did contemplate using an old Mainline body but having a Bachmann one to hand gives me the advantages of close coupling mechanism and also that the sides can easily be removed to be spray painted. So went down that route, it had already had a roof swap any way so I could have an accurate blue/grey WR RU

• RMweb Gold

I have permission! But mostly has large patterns on so SWMBO knows it’s not much good to me. May have to raid the wardrobe Instead there are some nice blue dresses! And then there’s curtains required too .....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I have permission! But mostly has large patterns on so SWMBO knows it’s not much good to me. May have to raid the wardrobe Instead there are some nice blue dresses! And then there’s curtains required too .....

It's been nice knowing you!!

Miuke.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Phil,

This is looking very good, although I don't envy you painting the BR Blue/ Grey scheme. And good luck with the curtain material!

A word to the wise. If you're intending to make a habit of rolling brass, you could do a lot worse than invest in a set of G.W. models 10'' rollers, which will set you back something like £75 inc. postage. For years I struggled with rolling pins and other cylindrical objects on telephone directories, and these make it so, so much easier.

Just a thought.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Phil,

This is looking very good, although I don't envy you painting the BR Blue/ Grey scheme. And good luck with the curtain material!

A word to the wise. If you're intending to make a habit of rolling brass, you could do a lot worse than invest in a set of G.W. models 10'' rollers, which will set you back something like £75 inc. postage. For years I struggled with rolling pins and other cylindrical objects on telephone directories, and these make it so, so much easier.

Just a thought.

John.

Thanks John useful gen! Certainly looking at a couple more MK1s but not sure I can justify £75 for those... 

As for painting will be leaving that to son James who Is a whizz with spray gun. Have fox transfers for the white line so hopefully we can cut a mask that corresponds to that to make life easier.

Think he sees this one as a dry run for another little project with 3 coaches which require blue/grey....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

PS SWMBO suggested trying something like opaque orange tights material for curtains.  They certainly are not fit for their intended purpose !!!!

Edited by Phil Bullock

Hi Phil,

if you have a local florists near by then try and tap them up for some ribbon.

The good thing about it is that the ribbons are already quite stiff so cutting out a shape to represent the curtains being held back by ties and then attaching with double sided tape above and below the glazing should be fairly simple.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2020 at 10:34, SP Steve said:

Hi Phil,

if you have a local florists near by then try and tap them up for some ribbon.

Until she passed away my mother-in-law was an avid crafter and at one time had got involved with silk flowers. Among her materials were bundles of ribbon that looked promising for curtains so I have a few colours which might be useful, including orange.

The good thing about it is that the ribbons are already quite stiff so cutting out a shape to represent the curtains being held back by ties and then attaching with double sided tape above and below the glazing should be fairly simple.

I also have quite a bit of small patterned materials which might be useful for carpets - what colour are you after?

20201010_102303.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 11:21, Taz said:

For curtains I just paint some plain paper, cut it out and glue in place. Example of orange curtains below

069C9E57-6880-41AA-8E71-7E259BCF776F.jpeg

Many thanks both ... some things to try there! Carpet now fitted, decided plasticard was best floor for staff areas.

D5695540-5F58-4BD4-9D35-DC4553092C9C.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

And coir matting in passenger doorways now fitted too - used brown felt for that. Have added door bump stops of 0.20" plastic rod and reassembled vehicle - all is good. Just waiting for Frogmore hinges before it goes to the paint shop.

Also got Mousa etched sides for a Diagram 24 but have just realised that is what Hornby are about to deliver so will go for a Diagram 25 RKB from Comet instead - no seating to worry about in that one, just a pole in bar area. Can use sacrificed RU sides roof and floor and rebuild catering areas on CK interior....

More bashing fun!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2020 at 01:43, Enterprisingwestern said:

Will Modelu be printing him/her?

Mike.

A pole dancer maybe?

Any way, have been held up awaiting Frogmore hinges from Dart Castings..... they arrived yesterday so took a break from herrings and fitted hinges, door stops already on from styrene rod. Off to the paint shop now!

Sorry don’t know why photos keep coming in upside down!

AEBADB3F-516B-4B2A-AB3D-2EEE4136D0F3.jpeg

FE6C72F8-CBE2-414A-8287-99451C8ED21B.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

1203987430_BR_Mk_1_Livery_04_800(2).jpg.27c81519962de5476cb506a446be5d2f.jpg

Not a very good pic, but, it's not just a piece of rod needed.

A possibility for 3D printing?

Mike.

A piece of rod does me - and 90% of those who use etched sides, I suspect.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

WTF did I not think of using plassi rod for bloody bumpers....derrrrrrrr! bit of glue and tis done. Proper job. Thank you Phil.

Welcome! Seems to have worked well...

49 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

1203987430_BR_Mk_1_Livery_04_800(2).jpg.27c81519962de5476cb506a446be5d2f.jpg

Not a very good pic, but, it's not just a piece of rod needed.

A possibility for 3D printing?

Mike.

Which door is that on Mike? Some of the handles certainly are not just rod as you say.... but I have a cunning plan for those!

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Agree John, each to their own, as ever.

How many of those 90% would prefer and use the correct thing though?

Mike.

Not me - I'm not convinced that resin in such tiny quantities would be robust enough.

Lost wax brass - now that might be different.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1