Derailment caught on live Railcam

woodenhead

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Maybe the others had damaged bogies/couplings etc but that one is OK?

It was off it's bogies as it had to be lifted onto a set, I imagine (as I've not seen it) they did something similar with the fourth wagon as I can only see two on the ground and there are other track vehicles at that end of the viaduct now rather than train vehicles.  The middle two perhaps had more damage or it was easier to lift them for some reason than to shift them.

They've moved everything now so its on to relaying the track, there were some people inspecting the underside of the bridge but it must be fairly intact/safe as they were below whilst the men above were hefting the wagon about.

What do we reckon first train over tomorrow or Friday morning - they've got a whole day to put it right and they may just plain line rather than replace points in an emergency.

• RMweb Premium

just removed one of the switch machines:

1841463315_swichmachine.JPG.c7a5053512bfb89e05c7b0ecc1f2663d.JPG

They are also decomissioning the heavy lift cranes.

They don't hang about, here we are 26 hours in and the cripples have been sorted and they are onto the trackwork

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've watched a fair bit of trackwork action on VR and they certainly don't have the same safety ethos as in the UK

I get the feeling that in the UK we would still be sorting the H&S paperwork before starting the clean up!:)

I wonder whether there is any serious damage to the bridge structure as when those two autoracks concertinaed a cross beam was bent down.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Just been looking at the bridge the train about to cross. Pretty impressive

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=kansas/highline/

There's quite a few impressive rail bridges over rivers in the US due to the number of wide rivers that need crossing

There's a huge double deck (road/rail) swing bridge over the Mississipi at Fort Madison, which opens several times a day to alow the enormous river barges through.

Also on VR cam:

It's owned by BNSF Railway and road users pay a toll.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why wait for a rubbish wagon when you can just chuck the debris over the side?

Yep, that looks interesting. Especially with all those Procor black tanks passing on the track below  Most entertaining thing I've seen since the weekend.

51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wonder whether there is any serious damage to the bridge structure as when those two autoracks concertinaed a cross beam was bent down.

That likely isn't a cross beam, but a walkway support added on in more recent times when it became mandatory/necessary to add the walkway and railing to the bridge.

9104 swung about a bit when it was lifted! Its difficult to see beyond the boom of the big crane at ground level, I couldn't work out what they were using the sidewinder for but they moved it out of the way while the loco was still suspended on the big crane and the white one on the viaduct.

• RMweb Premium

The thing that amuses me about the live You Tube feeds on VR is the amount of inane & uninformed comment & speculation in the chat which runs alongside the video.

Makes RMWeb seem very orderly in comparison.:)

Another thing it suffers from are spambots which plague them every so often, however it seems the mods have got a routine that stifles them very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

image.png.4d431d50dcb3bc4bc66241836459dfb7.png

Sorting the ballast in some way.

Within the multitude of comments about the work it was suggested it is all plain track, maybe it was just a few straight panels they laid yesterday rather than a switch.

Someone suggesting first train at 5am - less than 2 hours away, impressive given the location of the derailment and the busy junctions all around it.

A BNSF hopper train ran through on the near track at about 00:38 (their time) at walking speed while the tamper was working on the far line. Brakeman hanging on the steps of the rear hopper

0038.png

And (I think) the same train propelled back on the low level at 01:16

0117.png

It then came back into the yard at 01:25 (bottom right of pic)

0125.png

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2