Sign in to follow this  
Mike1220

'DCC Ready' German DC Locomotives

Good evening everyone,

After purchasing some Liliput locomotives a few months back, I was very surprised and pleased to see that they were 8 Pin 'DCC Ready'.

I was wondering if there are any other German manufacturers whose 2-rail DC models also come as DCC Ready please?

I know that Fleischmann, Roco and Brawa make some beautiful models and it would be great to include some of their fine work into my collection, and not have to worry if they are already DCC fitted or not.

Sadly I do not have the time or patience to convert the really old ones re-soldering wires etc.

Thanking you all in advance, 

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Mike

Welcome to the wonderful world of German outline modelling!

Digital control was pioneered quite early on by two German firms, Lenz and Arnold - this eventually led to the NMRA (in the USA) to adopt the 'German way' of doing things, standards etc by around the early 1990s.*

Subsequently, you should find that most German/European manufacturers have adopted these standards over the past 25-30 years - HOWEVER do be warned!

What was once a 'standard' is barely that any longer and manufacturers hardly use the good old 8 pin decoder socket any more - on new introductions/revamps.

So now, you have 6, 8 & 21 pin sockets along with NEXT 12, 18 & 22 pin sockets (I think)

I can't give an exhaustive list of who fits what decoder socket but fortunately, most European manufacturers do state what type is fitted on the box, in the catalogue, online (not always accurately!).

I know I have been surprised when buying the occasional quite ancient secondhand item and finding it has a socket, close coupling mechanism, correct height NEM coupling socket, etc, etc.

Cheers,

John.

*I'm probably wrong on minor details but I'm sure this is the gist of what happened. The Americans were working on some bespoke systems but they were somewhat unwieldy so thank goodness for the above two firms.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 19:47, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello Mike

Welcome to the wonderful world of German outline modelling!

Digital control was pioneered quite early on by two German firms, Lenz and Arnold - this eventually led to the NMRA (in the USA) to adopt the 'German way' of doing things, standards etc by around the early 1990s.*

Subsequently, you should find that most German/European manufacturers have adopted these standards over the past 25-30 years - HOWEVER do be warned!

What was once a 'standard' is barely that any longer and manufacturers hardly use the good old 8 pin decoder socket any more - on new introductions/revamps.

So now, you have 6, 8 & 21 pin sockets along with NEXT 12, 18 & 22 pin sockets (I think)

I can't give an exhaustive list of who fits what decoder socket but fortunately, most European manufacturers do state what type is fitted on the box, in the catalogue, online (not always accurately!).

I know I have been surprised when buying the occasional quite ancient secondhand item and finding it has a socket, close coupling mechanism, correct height NEM coupling socket, etc, etc.

Cheers,

John.

*I'm probably wrong on minor details but I'm sure this is the gist of what happened. The Americans were working on some bespoke systems but they were somewhat unwieldy so thank goodness for the above two firms.

I would say pretty well spot on.

Take 1992 as a base line and there should be no problems with any second hand purchases.

Bernard

• Thanks 1

For Roco I would say it was a bit later than 1992, maybe 1997-98.

Stay safe,

Neil

However a caveat.  If you are using or going to use a "pure" DCC system such as NCE or Gaugemaster then be very aware that anything you buy secondhand marked "digital" (as opposed to "DCC") is likely to be one of the manufacturers' own systems that they all used before coming on board with "pure" DCC and compatability-

Arnold digital

Selectrix

Fleischmann FMZ 

are not compatable with each other and unless specifically stated are not compatable with an NCE or Gaugemaster controller- or in some cases with a Roco Lokmaus...

The good news is that old Liliput are quite easy to hard wire, though old Roco Tender driven locos have the motor so heavily embedded in the frame there isn't really enough space for any insulation- needed as the frame is one side of the electrical connection to the motor.  Most locos that are DCC compliant will have an icon on the outside of the box showing what type of interface the loco has.

guess who found out most of this the hard way.......

Les

Hi

I found this link long ago. You can find many descriptions how to digitize pre-DCC locos . Even if your model is not there, it gives you a good idea how to do it. Many pictures and some German language descriptions. Definitely worth reading.

Michael