Stock list database

I’m looking to create a full list of all my trains, primarily for insurance listing but also to keep track of what I have. I have a large collection of 00 and HOe and really need to get it organised. 
what software etc do people use to list and keep track of their stock?

I agree with 'Chard - I've had mine on Excel for 20+ years, having come up through DBase 2 / 3 etc.,
Easy to rearrange, select type of stock etc.,

My list covers 396 rows and many columns for various descriptions....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Penlan said:

I agree with 'Chard - I've had mine on Excel for 20+ years, having come up through DBase 2 / 3 etc.,
Easy to rearrange, select type of stock etc.,

My list covers 396 rows and many columns for various descriptions....

Indeed - I aspire to linking the 'inventory' data to operating data at some future stage: pre-selecting using various criteria the stock to be marshalled to form trains in the W/T/T, bearing in mind that if like me you're making reference to the carriage working instructions, then this adds a whole new dimension of research and realism....

• Like 1

Excel is the easiest I would say unless you want to do weird and wonderful stuff with it.

It's a robust application, why not try an open source version, no cost of licence or need to keep it online only.

Libre Office is good, I installed it years ago and have never needed Microsoft again at home.

There is also Google Docs as an alternative online.

It's no longer a Microsoft World.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Robert Scott said:

Just as a matter of interest, I believe that if you make up an Excel spreadsheet, you can convert it later to an Access database. Then you can also add photographs etc.

Access is the Devil's own spawn.

Maybe I suppose it's ok for home application, I've not touched it in 15 years except once when I was asked to look at a client database and I was able to say not my problem and walkaway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Robert Scott said:

Just as a matter of interest, I believe that if you make up an Excel spreadsheet, you can convert it later to an Access database. Then you can also add photographs etc.

Nothing to stop you adding photos directly in Excel , either embedded so you have to click them, or directly 'on the page' ,or so they appear when you roll the mouse pointer over a specific cell.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Access is the Devil's own spawn.

Maybe I suppose it's ok for home application, I've not touched it in 15 years except once when I was asked to look at a client database and I was able to say not my problem and walkaway.

Depends on how well designed the database is.  Whilst I'd undoubtedly go the SQL route these days, I've used it for 1,000,000+ record datasets before albeit I've only ever used it as the DB backend, all UI work was done In Visual Studio.

Edited by johndon

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, rab said:

I've done mine on Excel.

The only worrying thing is the total

at the bottom of the purchase price column :)

Same here, just have to make sure the other 5/8ths doesn't read it !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

When compiling a stock database in Excel, do RMWebbers tend to produce one line per item of stock or one line per catalogue reference?  I have several multi-packs - particularly wagons, but also locomotives that were bought as a twin pack.  Would most people record these as two or three separate records (one per item of stock) with each item being valued at one half of one third of the multi-pack value?

A stock database is something I feel that I should have, but currently don't.

• RMweb Premium

With this sort of listing, I use a separate line

for each item, but merge appropriate cells.

For instance I include postage costs for items

purchased on line ( I know, but that's me)!

Where the two items were posted as one package,

i merge the postage cells for the two items,

and enter the total cost in the merge cell.

5 minutes ago, rab said:

With this sort of listing, I use a separate line

for each item, but merge appropriate cells.

For instance I include postage costs for items

purchased on line ( I know, but that's me)!

Where the two items were posted as one package,

i merge the postage cells for the two items,

and enter the total cost in the merge cell.

..... and I thought that I suffered from OCD !!!! Thanks - you've made me feel a lot more 'normal'!

My stock database serves primarily to enable me to find stored stock - once the money has been spent, it's gone and forgotten as far as I am concerned.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, rab said:

I've done mine on Excel.

The only worrying thing is the total

at the bottom of the purchase price column :)

Not as worrying as the total on replacement cost column.

Some items can be replaced for little money but others have evolved into the rocking horse poo category with commensurate pricing.

And yes, another Excel voter here. 

I also use Excel for retrieving information from magazines, books etc.  This makes it easy for example to find where drawings and pictures of wagons for company xxx can be found.  The only benefit I ever got from Access, was that it showed me how to set up an Excel database and get the data beck immediately.

23 hours ago, MalcT said:

Same here, just have to make sure the other 5/8ths doesn't read it !

9 hours ago, rab said:

5/8ths, more like 7/8ths in my case :)

I hope you're referring to the balance of power not mass!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I also use Excel for retrieving information from magazines, books etc.  This makes it easy for example to find where drawings and pictures of wagons for company xxx can be found.  The only benefit I ever got from Access, was that it showed me how to set up an Excel database and get the data beck immediately.

I also have one listing all my locos, their addresses and function button operations and another one listing all the LED lighting by switch number and relevant wiring colours for fault finding.

17 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

This makes it easy for example to find where drawings and pictures of wagons for company xxx can be found.  The only benefit I ever got from Access, was that it showed me how to set up an Excel database and get the data beck immediately.

Spot on, Use one row per item and one column for each unique fact.  Spreadsheet (Excel) is easy to set up and modify as you go, so very quick start.  Use the filters to find items, and take care with deletions, moves, sorts etc to make sure the whole table is selected.  Access may have more power and capability, but takes skill and ages to develop, takes much longer to get to use it, and is harder to update.  Access is also version dependent, so need to keep the software up to date.

• Agree 1

I'm another who has had semi-commercial stock software, SQL and Access databases in the past for stock and other inventory. Now it is a simple spreadsheet. One tab per type (loco, misc, freight, passenger) with all the columns I need. Locos especially with decoder, sound, and other information including maintenance. I go one line per item and when I have multiples I know it is time to renumber stuff. 

The scary thing was totalling up the replacement costs as others have said. Ended up with a rider on my house insurance to make sure it is all covered. 

2 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

I'm another who has had semi-commercial stock software, SQL and Access databases in the past for stock and other inventory. Now it is a simple spreadsheet. One tab per type (loco, misc, freight, passenger) with all the columns I need. Locos especially with decoder, sound, and other information including maintenance. I go one line per item and when I have multiples I know it is time to renumber stuff. 

The scary thing was totalling up the replacement costs as others have said. Ended up with a rider on my house insurance to make sure it is all covered. 

The only time I did a partial inventory was for Ebay so I could see what I got back against what I paid (did quite well actually).

But seeing your final comment about insurance - how else would I know what to claim if there was a problem.

I probably would need a week or two to log all mine.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with previous posters. Cant beat Excel. Although I use Google Sheets, as it is then available on different platforms etc.

I also include details of locos, coaches etc that are on my "want" list, complete with guide prices, to help when buying at shows etc

• Like 1