Heljan announce OO and O Yorkshire Engine's Class 02

AY Mod

• Moderators

HELJAN UNVEILS YORKSHIRE ENGINE CO. CLASS 02 DIESEL SHUNTER

Class 02 O overall1.JPG

Diesel successor to the legendary LYR ‘Pugs’ now in preparation for O gauge with a OO gauge version to follow. BR and industrial liveries planned in both scales. 

Design work is well advanced on HELJAN’s latest ‘O’ gauge locomotive project – the BR Class 02 0-4-0DH built by Yorkshire Engine Co. for dock shunting and goods yard duties in northern England. CAD has already been approved and tooling work is underway with a view to first releases reaching the UK in the final quarter of 2021. 

CAD work is also progressing well on a OO gauge Class 02 for release in late-2021/early-2022. This model will be available in a wide range of BR and industrial liveries covering the life of the class from 1960 onwards. Full details of this project will be announced shortly. 

These tiny four-wheeled shunters were designed to reach the places other locomotives could not; with a wheelbase of just 6ft they were able to tackle sharply curved lines in streets, docks, warehouses and factories and even use traditional wagon turntables. They were a direct replacement for the legendary Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway ‘Pug’ 0-4-0STs working dock lines in Liverpool, Manchester and beyond. Around 50 similar locomotives were built for industrial railways, in many cases with electric rather than hydraulic transmission. 

As the work they were built for vanished in the 1960s, many of the 20-strong class found further work in industry, with some surviving well into the 1980s before being rescued for preservation. Highly regarded by crews for their Rolls-Royce engine, all-round visibility and unique (for a BR locomotive) rear platform for shunting staff, they continue to play a useful role in shunting and engineering work at heritage railways. One locomotive, D2860, was even claimed by the National Railway Museum as the perfect shunter for its Great Hall in York.

The new HELJAN O gauge Class 02 will feature a high-performance chassis with all-wheel drive and pick-up, switchable cab lights, LED marker lights, a 21-pin DCC decoder interface and provision for DCC sound. External features will include authentic detail variations, a highly-detailed cab interior and underframe, separate handrails, door handles and pipework and etched Yorkshire Engine Co. worksplates. 

Eight versions have been selected, covering a broad cross-section of BR green, industrial and preserved liveries from delivery in 1960 to the present day – see below for more information. Suggested Retail Price will be £339.00 for DCC Ready models. We are currently examining options for models with factory-fitted DCC sound, details of which will be confirmed separately. 

Look out for updates on the HELJAN Facebook page and in the model railway press as this exciting project develops. 

Factfile: Class 02 
Built: 1960-61
No. built: 20
Numbers: D2850-69, 02001/003/004
Withdrawn: 1969-75
Current Status: Seven preserved – D2853/54/58/60/66-68

HELJAN CLASS 02 O GAUGE MODELS
2870: BR green unnumbered (wasp stripes) 
2871: BR green D2860 (wasp stripes) 
2872: BR green 02004 (wasp stripes, no BR logo) WEATHERED 
2873: BR blue (wasp stripes) 02003
2874: Redland Khaki (ex-D2867)
2875: Industrial all-over yellow with wasp stripes
2876: NCB Staffordshire Area pale blue No. ND3 (ex-D2862)
2877: Industrial green ‘SAM’ (ex-D2868) WEATHERED

Class 02 O left side.JPG

Class 02 O overall 2.JPG

Class 02 O bonnet off.JPG

Class 02 O body off.JPG

Class 02 O chassis underside.JPG

Front_right_side_overall.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Further info shortly

I'm excited. Was on my list of plans to kit-build but everybody seemed a bit negative about the available offerings.

Edit: (I have assumed a small diesel)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I take it that you mean a small diesel rather than an LSWR tank loco.

Edit: "Crossed in the post"

Topic title further edited too in case anyone thinks it looks nothing like an 0-4-4. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

With a limited amount of space, my main interests are in narrow gauge and in 'N', but I'm always interested in small locos in OO—this is an interesting choice and I'll be interested in a BR green one and possibly an industrial one too.

Heljan seem to be developing a niche in small diesel shunters — as they did with pilot scheme diesels in the past. There's still the 01 and 06 left to do…

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Heljan seem to be developing a niche in small diesel shunters — as they did with pilot scheme diesels in the past. There's still the 01 and 06 left to do…

Still a few others that have both BR and industrial versions. Bet adb968008 knows the one I would pick lol.

Hope the model drives as well as the real thing as there great little shunters to drive and see out of.

Edited by 25901
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Apart from the shape and not being designed to fit on a Transcontinental motor bogie, almost identical. :dirol_mini:

We know Triang were both very clever, but ultimately compromising in many / most applications, hence my general comments.

YES, I know they're miles different in obvious details, but the general comment remains - I think this is the actual locomotive implied in the Triang / Hornby Dock shunter.

There's no 'verandah' at the back of the Triang one, but the very general shape is really quite similar - with a tad of imagination of course.

Al.

• Like 1

Brilliant - will be up for a couple of these subject to similar livery and numbers being available in '00' (to those announced in '0') - in due course.

Very pleased to hear about this forthcoming model, thank you Heljan!

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

• Agree 1

NBLs would be great. Type 1 style body as worked in BR and Army, while the later type 2 style worked BR and NCB ( and others ). Slight body style differences abound, a few versions and liveries would sell well.

But that's for later, lets see what Heljan come up with regarding the tiny 02

14 minutes ago, Dava said:

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

But also 50 odd industrials with seven BR survivors, including one in the NRM. 

I also reckon the O Gauge version is more a way of leading to a 4mm version of which there hasn't been a model available for years and both of which were very dated.

They'll sell by the bucket load.

Virtually all the suggestions already have kits available. Or do we always have to stamp on the small suppliers?

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Jason