Heljan announce OO and O Yorkshire Engine's Class 02

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Swindon 123 said:

A few of them got about. I have photos of them at Newton Heath, Oldham (Lees) shed, Reddish, Lostock Hall, Preston, Blackpool North, and a little further afield under repair at Derby Works, and in the roundhouse at Burton, D2859 was allocated there from 31/12/60 until 10/64. D2859 then spent a shot spell up at Newton Heath MPD before transferring to Goole shed (50D) in 07/67, along with D2865 where it stayed until withdrawn 03/70.

So scope for them to appear in a few other places than around the Liverpool area. They got even further afield in industrial service, and if my memory is correct, I seem to remember a reference in a Rly Observer that two of them went on load from BR to Pennyfordd Cement Works in the late 60's.

Paul J.

I noted one on Patricroft shed in the summer of 68.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I guess they were mostly at work on dock estates and other private facilities, where it's often not easy to gain access. The other aspect is that the majority of record photos were taken during free time at the weekend, when locos were often laid up by Saturday lunchtime.  There is some colour film of the then new YE engines working at the Port of London; maybe something similar exists for the BR/MDHB lines?

• Agree 2

Pretty much. Also a lot of the work would be done at night. Still is.

It was also that the need for small shunters had largely gone. All the old type warehouses which were accessed by wagon turntables and sharp curves had closed. Most of the work could be done by 08s.

I remember seeing them on a regular basis as a very small child. They weren't always there. At the time I didn't know exactly what they were, I just knew they were different to the normal trains.

Jason

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

all the photos I see of class 02’s seem to be whiling away time in pairs or more on shed. Certainly not many pictures of them in service gainfully employed.

Was this peoples experience at the time, or did cameras just skip the working ones ?

A look through this album (Brunswick 1969) on Edgehillsignalmans Flickr site has some shots of D2852 actually doing some work, as well as some colour shots of a MD&HB Hudswell Clarke in action.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwwYh3N

Paul J.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that although I welcome new models of prototypes not so far covered, I have spent a lot of years building them for myself, only to find that an RTR version is announced. I guess that is what happens in this hobby though. Good news of course for those who have no interest in kit building. I'll stick with mine for now as at least I can say I built it!

Guess what's just coming out of the works just now? Yes, you've guessed it, a Barclay Class 06! Doh!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Opelsi said:

As the previously stated by the manufacturer:

2873: BR blue (wasp stripes) 02003

Aha!  The repaint for Bescot open day!  Fair play to the Danes, this is pretty niche.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pleased about this, there was one at Preston for a while and one at the Leyland sidings near Euxton. Rumour has it that the Preston one had to be permanently coupled to a wagon otherwise it wouldn't always trigger the track circuiting and would 'disappear' for a short time. So, in a similar but smaller vein, hopefully there will be sufficient room for a decent 'stay-alive' in it, as I fear for it's progress over my dodgy pointwork!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 23:50, Dava said:

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

For those interested in Scottish Region, an ex-BR Class 02 worked in a scrapyard (Arnott-Young) just outside Glasgow near the Erskine Bridge. Livery was all over yellow by that time, survived until mid-eighties.

44760044372_7cbbebceed_o.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2