Heljan announce OO and O Yorkshire Engine's Class 02

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 17/09/2020 at 20:00, stewartingram said:

How about modelling this one?

D2862, Blackpool North MPD, 10-09-1966. (so my records show, but I've got a feeling it was actually Fleetwood?).

931840531_06_02_0001_D2862BlackpoolNorth10-09-1966.jpg.4a8398c05beeded0989dee88163cc650.jpg

On 20/09/2020 at 01:14, stovepipe said:

Do Class 02s have some magic skill and can shunt wagons on cinders rather than rails?

• Like 2

On 15/02/2021 at 11:38, Yardman said:

Yorkshire 0-4-0 Deisel Shunters

Workington's pair on a Brake van special on 24/05/1969. It was a great day out.

They are Yorkshires but not the same as BR's Class 02. They are completely different. I know, I've looked into converting an 02 kit into one of these and the only thing they have in common is the wheel diameter and wheelbase. Apart from the visuals, the prototypes were diesel-electrics, rather than the diesel-hydraulic of BR's Class 02.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 26/02/2021 at 20:54, Ruston said:

They are Yorkshires but not the same as BR's Class 02. They are completely different. I know, I've looked into converting an 02 kit into one of these and the only thing they have in common is the wheel diameter and wheelbase. Apart from the visuals, the prototypes were diesel-electrics, rather than the diesel-hydraulic of BR's Class 02.

That's interesting! I thought that YEC offered what became the 02 in three different versions; d/m, d/e and d/h. BR ordered the d/h, others ordered some d/e but the d/m fell by the wayside with no orders.

The loco in the photo above seems to be a later version of the d/e but perhaps I've got it mixed up. Wouldn't be the first time!

On 16/09/2020 at 23:50, Dava said:

Looks like a nice model, but I have to ask why?

There have been 3 kits in 7mm scale I can count including the easy to build DJH one. Other BR 0-4-0 shunter types are available as prototypes, some much more numerous and which worked in wider areas such as Scotland. A Barclay 01 or 06, NBL or R&H loco would have been something new. The 20 02s didn’t work much beyond Merseyside.

Dava

I can't say anything about whatever the other two O gauge kits are, but the Tower Models one is hopeless. It's far too wide for a start. It's got other strange things about it that make it look wrong. It has, compared with what I'm sure Heljan will produce, a crude mechanism and it's not cheap, either.

They worked far beyond Merseyside once BR disposed of them. Some of them spent longer working in industry than they did for BR.

I'm looking forward to the OO version because the production of a quality Class 02 in OO has freed up my DJH and Craftsman kits to be chopped into different types of industrial Yorkshires.

7 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

That's interesting! I thought that YEC offered what became the 02 in three different versions; d/m, d/e and d/h. BR ordered the d/h, others ordered some d/e but the d/m fell by the wayside with no orders.

The loco in the photo above seems to be a later version of the d/e but perhaps I've got it mixed up. Wouldn't be the first time!

I'm not aware of YEC building any Diesel-Mechanicals at all. I'm not an expert on YEC diesels, but I've read a bit and studied photos and drawings and from what I can tell, the BR locos were unique to BR. A lot of YEC products have a similar look, and some components were most probably common to others, but I've never found any others with the exact appearance and features of the BR locos.

• Thanks 1

I’ve seen much confusion in this thread between the different varieties of YEC 0-4-0s offered over the years, now the 02 was very different to the industrial locos in many ways, wheelbase, bonnets and other detail differences.

I may do a rivett counter thread on the yorkshires in the industrial modelling area.

Yorkshire offered their “mid period” (post Paxman “Toblerone and pre late modern styling) 0-4-0s in Diesel Hydraulic (rolls engine and twin disc torque converter) and Diesel Electric (rolls engine and BTH/AEI traction equipment). Externally they were very different as seen below:

The standard 220hp 0-4-0DH (my own loco 2679)

6979C4A3-BAA1-46A3-805D-257570881630.png.68fa24c5e15ecafbf986569ad7fe6ddf.png

The standard 220hp 0-4-0DE:

A6A2ED5E-1045-481A-ACE9-C2254843DB98.png.52f50e56c6b299e27fed696dfe11c632.png

and then the BR Class 02:

52B94797-E239-4CA0-A80A-4CA43C10D3E9.png.f5ea8cdb94a7d97a41f3bd0d187ff853.png

The main external differences between the 3 being the fuel tanks, square and in front of the cab on the standard DH, long and full length on the DE and stepped in front of the cab on the 02. Also the sandboxes on the 02 are in the valance, but on separate fabricated boxes on the DH, and the added handrails inside the shunters step on the 02 which are missing from the DH and DE.

Now there were exceptions from the standard, different height cabs were offered, as well as sloped or flat top bonnets, 170hp engines instead of the usual 220hp.

Most of the industrial YEC locos you would have seen would have been variations of the standard DE and DH.

And PenrithBeacon, YEC never built any Diesel Mechanical locos, only DE and DH.

Jordan

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:46, Night Train said:

Does anyoine know the proposed release dates for the O gauge version, or if the Redland Khaki version has wasp stripes?

For anyone thats interested, Heljan have responded to an email and said the Redland version "will probably have wasp stripes".

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 17:56, 'CHARD said:

Aha!  The repaint for Bescot open day!  Fair play to the Danes, this is pretty niche.

Yes. We spent some time at LCP's Pensnett depot on the real thing. I did most of the negotiation on this loco and the deal was that we could repaint it BR blue provided it carried LCP on it. So we used paint and vinyl scrounged from Bescot and Tyseley. Bob from our team made an A1 size handdrawn stencil copied from LCP notepaper which he sliced out with a stanley knife. We taped it to the "secondman's" cabside and then painted it with white paint.

So if Heljan produce "02003" it needs the LCP logo on one cabside !!!!

• Like 1

I remember the 4 which made it to TOPS renumbering - always seemed to be parked up between Sandhills and Liverpool Exchange.

Last time home I found my (unbuilt) Craftsman 02 kit, bought some 20 years ago with a view to letting one of my children 'have a go'. Sadly he discovered other interests (football, beer and girls, not necessarily in that order!) before we got round to building it, so it went into the roundtuit cupboard. One day, perhaps...

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The attached picture was taken in the early 1970 at Allerton its one I've just come across  amongst some old prints from when i was playing around printing black and white negatives. i hope some may find it of interest .

img28112021_001.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I have to say, although this is an EP, the OO gauge EP is not a patch on the O gauge EP.

In what way?

They look as near identical as possible allowing for the thickness of plastic in the windows to me. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The O gauge one looks crisper is the only way I can describe it.

But it is only an EP and not a finished model.

It's bigger, and the lighting in the hall was far from ideal for model photography, so it will show up better. The side views in OO are slightly bigger than life size on my monitor, wheras the O gauge ones are smaller.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2020 at 22:33, atom3624 said:

We know Triang were both very clever, but ultimately compromising in many / most applications, hence my general comments.

YES, I know they're miles different in obvious details, but the general comment remains - I think this is the actual locomotive implied in the Triang / Hornby Dock shunter.

There's no 'verandah' at the back of the Triang one, but the very general shape is really quite similar - with a tad of imagination of course.

Al.

I think Dokafority was based loosely on a New Zealand prototype, and is really better considered as part of the Transcontinental Range, which has all sorts of antipodean influences.  On a 4mm layout, the thing is both a small diesel and at the same time somewhat bulky, going close to the full height and width limits of the loading gauge.  Puts mee in mind of some of the Bagnall shunting engines at Port Talbot steelworks, which are about as brutal as it gets with 4 wheels...

An 02 is tiny by comparison.

• Like 1